xisto Community
Shadow Knight

Did Dragons Ever Exist?

Replying to ink

As a matter of fact, I have no doubt in my mind that the dragon existence theory was tweaked slightly too much. What I believe is that dragons actually did roam the Earth, I also believe in defense mechanisms built into an animal. For example, the stink bug: When provoked or threatened it lets out a spray that is dreadful to anything. Just like the skunk. Then their is the snakes, their are some snakes that spit out venom in defense from the hunter or for the snake to be the hunter. So in other words, I believe the dragons were actually a giant lizard that had wings and flew and its defense mechanism was not shooting or spitting fire. But shooting stomach acid, if you think about it. Acid is a substance that burns food. Perhaps the dragons defense mechanism was the ability to shoot its own stomach acid to catch pray or defend itself from hunters. Which is why people would believe that the dragons actually shot fire out.

Makes somewhat of sense. If you place your mind to it, you can figure out anything... All you have to do is think clearly and think of possible solutions. But I believe my theory to be a fact.

-reply by wushu151

One of the most common, and certainly the most debatable question in circulation over dragons is, "do they exist?". Despite being repeatedly asked, a satisfactory conclusion has never really been offered. The reason is primarily because everyone has a different viewpoint on dragon existence, and due to the controversial nature of the topic, we have so far only really been faced with contradiction. To date, theories regarding dragon existence have ranged from a physical, literal presence; the idea that dragons used to roam the earth but were wiped out by chivalrous knights or human advances. Others believe that dragons are little more than a mixture of the untamed forces of nature and human imagination, or that dragons exist on the astral plane, or that they have found their home in our imaginations.Our focus in this essay is not to try and directly prove or disprove the existence of dragons, but instead to discuss the main possibilities from which we will draw our own conclusion. However, in the end it will be up to you to decide how you believe in dragons. I for one think they were dinos that manged to survive the big bang.....whats are your threorys and thoughts?

As a matter of fact, I have no doubt in my mind that the dragon existence theory was tweaked slightly too much. What I believe is that dragons actually did roam the Earth, I also believe in defense mechanisms built into an animal. For example, the stink bug: When provoked or threatened it lets out a spray that is dreadful to anything. Just like the skunk. Then their is the snakes, their are some snakes that spit out venom in defense from the hunter or for the snake to be the hunter. So in other words, I believe the dragons were actually a giant lizard that had wings and flew and its defense mechanism was not shooting or spitting fire. But shooting stomach acid, if you think about it. Acid is a substance that burns food. Perhaps the dragons defense mechanism was the ability to shoot its own stomach acid to catch pray or defend itself from hunters. Which is why people would believe that the dragons actually shot fire out.

Makes somewhat of sense. If you place your mind to it, you can figure out anything..... All you have to do is think clearly and think of possible solutions. But I believe my theory to be a fact.

And another fact... For those of you claiming that the big bang is what created the Earth, Your wrong! The big bang didn't create the Earth. The big bag is the phenomenal beginning that created the Universe, and the left overs of the universe was what created Earth and our galaxies. :lol:
Edited by wushu151 (see edit history)

Dragon Existence can only be made believable if and only if tangible evidence of 1) Their true, chronic and UNIQUE existence are to be presented to the world's vast array of skeptics. 2) Their ability of Fire breathing be presented, explained, and proved to be usable in the actual life form we like to call dragons. If they truly existed, then scientists and archaeologists would have already found evidences of their existence. Be it bone structure, preserved foot print, preserved skin that matches with any of the dragon depictions people's mind's have set. Until that day comes, and until true tangible evidence, verifiable proofs, and realistic theories are presented in complete, not one missing, form, then it is safe to assume that dragons did not exist.

i never even knew there were people who even thought about even thinking that dragons existed. i don't believe much and i'm afraid that i don't believe that dragons existed. i mean dragons! they are the stuff of myth. but in this world there are people who will believe in anything. i mean there is a goddam flat earth society who thinks the earth is flat and that all the photos of the earth are faked and that somehow all the governments of the world have managed to keep this secret without any arguement at all.

I believe something of the sort existed, as for the fire, well the bible describes fire breathing animals, who am i to discredit the big man..... Remember seeing isnt always believing

Agreed but we all need actual proofs of their existence, not just a bunch of evidences that does not prove anything.......
The bible always talks in riddles, and, considering the time it was written, it was in the age of where mythologies were considered true and what nots....

So who's to say what's true as written, and what is meant to be a riddle?

DragonsDid Dragons Ever Exist?

I believe dragons do exist, even though there is much agaist the fact. They (as Laniczech said) are mentioned in the Bible, so what other creature breathes fire other than the Dragon? I have much reason to believe they do and though there are many forms of dragon behavior , due to the lack of writing in the days they may have existed, at least some must have been human friendly right? Thought the many skeptics don't belive it they must realize that they are depicted in much of Chinese culture. And the Tyranasaurus Rex having evolved into an bird? If that's believable then why wont people accept that Dragons are Dinosaurs that found no need to evolve or became the lizards we call our pets today? You must take this into consideration before you say the dragon doesn't or never has existed.

-reply by Cody Taylor

I would say that they are most likely the last surviving dinosaurs, or a dino relative :P

Breathing fire is a dead giveaway that this possibly is most likely not possible. Just like unicorns aren't real, I would say dragons aren't real as well. If, in fact, dragons were around at one point, I hope scientists discover the gene that gave them their hot breath. I would love to exhale fury on my girlfriend.

I believe that every "fiction" (as, similarly, states the theory of the lie), is based upon a seed of truth. The trick is to shed the layers of exaggeration, embellishment, or other "bardic" and/or generational additions to the story.

Now if you were to get further into the hypotheses of other dimensions and parallel existences (and quantum physics), that adds another interesting scenario. This is one I've researched, now and then, more than others... but I have yet to be satisfied with any "proof" I may have squandered thereof.

However, when people believe in a deity that can impregnate an untouched woman to bear its child on the force of its mere will (a speculation not unique, believe it or not, to the Christian derivative of religion), and allow themselves to be influenced by the supposedly-deific interpretations of mortal beings, with only other mortal beings to declare their honesty and accuracy... who is to say what is, or is not real? It is, in the end, strictly a matter of what you are willing to believe in, whether you feel that you have established proof of it, or not.

One thing of note: there are pretty much references to dragons in all ancient civilizations. There must be something that they are coming from, because I doubt that they were just transferred via cultural diffusion. Here are my hypotheses:

1. Dragons are based on dinosaur bones. This is the most probable reason. Dinosaur bones are found all over the world. In addition, since dragons are always described as serpentine, dinosaurs would be the closest real-world thing to them due to the fact that dinosaurs were reptiles, and therefore would would look somewhat serpentine. The fact that different dinosaurs are found in different parts of the world would also explain why dragons are different in each culture.

2. Dragons are based on serpents. This would also make a lot of sense, because dragons are in fact described as serpentine. In this case, cultures probably imagined giant, flying snakes. The fire breathing was probably added on later.

These are the most probable origins I can think of.

I don't think dragons ever existed. Their bones would have been discovered just as the dinosaur bones were discovered.

In my opinion Dragons are only a myth.I'd say it was made up during Medieval times just as a folktale to scare people from ever going out or visiting a certain location. Well that's an interesting tactic to use. As we know alot of the people in charge during Medieval times were up themselves, they pretty much liked to decapitate people for lets say accidentally bumping into someone of higher authority. So lets say one of those higher class people may have told stories to peasant to scare them from going near other people with authority and that they could release dragons upon them and something like that.That's something I thought of just then, anything could be possible though.

In my opinion Dragons are only a myth.
I'd say it was made up during Medieval times just as a folktale to scare people from ever going out or visiting a certain location. Well that's an interesting tactic to use. As we know alot of the people in charge during Medieval times were up themselves, they pretty much liked to decapitate people for lets say accidentally bumping into someone of higher authority. So lets say one of those higher class people may have told stories to peasant to scare them from going near other people with authority and that they could release dragons upon them and something like that.

That's something I thought of just then, anything could be possible though.

You have to keep in mind, every mythological creature in history has been based on something. No myth was just created out of nowhere. And the thing is, considering how many cultures have dragons and how different they are, they couldn't have very easily originated in only one place. For example, your explanation works in the medieval world, but in China, dragons were considered sacred, not terrifying. You also have to keep in mind that the medieval age was certainly not a time of prosperity, and such a myth could not easily spread from medieval Europe to the rest of the world.

Indeed. China, pre-Gaullic Erin are only two of the ancient civilizations which touted dragons in their Lore, and not necessarily as a bad thing. The two I mention, however, are really the only two (to my best knowledge) which have survived in at least partial form to continue telling their stories to new generations.It makes you wonder, if any person were able to peel away the layers of exaggeration built over time, what we'd find at the source of it all. There certainly must be something, of that I am positive.This topic of discussion reminds me of something I heard a long time ago... something about the Mayan calendar portraying something significant about what we know today as Atlantis. I wish I could remember the whole story, it was incredibly fascinating, but no one has ever been able to explain how the Mayans would know anything about people from across the vast expanse of the Atlantic (which was, undoubtedly, even more vast at that time, due to differences in, and the tectonic placement of landmasses). Supposedly, people of that point in time, didn't have the means, or knowledge, to construct a proper vessel to surmount such a distance. And yet... :P[Edit]I wonder if Greece could be irrefutably connected with the Mesopotamian civilizations... has anyone ever researched if they also mentioned beasts of a draconic nature in their Lore along with the chimera and suchforth?[/Edit]

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

Well, I think that dragons did exist. If any of you have ever read Dragonology, it has a plausable theory. Basically it says that dragons could have had a flamable venom, and they would pick up some flint stones and keep them in a special pouch in their mouth. Whenever they wanted to breathe fire, they would just release some venom and jiggle the spark pouch.(P.S, I don't know how to put quotes so this info I copied from http://www.answers.com/Q/Do_dragons_exist )Some people feel that the fact that dragons are known in the history of almost every area of the world in much more than a coincidence. There are Asian versions of dragons, which are wise and benevolent creatures. According to some European folklore, dragons were eating maidens and then being slayed by knights in retribution. There were American Indian tribes who had stories of fire breathing reptiles burning fields and flying away with buffalo. Dragons are depicted in ancient art from all over the world. Many of these societies had no contact with each other.I like that point ^^. I mean, basically almost every culture had a dragon like figure...-reply by Deerfan