xisto Community
Shadow Knight

Did Dragons Ever Exist?

Why the past tense? "Dragons" still exist, in fact I have one next to me (No not the wife). Althought the "Dragon" race is not extinct, our perception of them is, how do you say, questionable. My dragon, is an Bearded one, from Australia, quite common actually. also Komodo, Frilled, Water etc. Do I beleive that the general human perception of dragons existed, Not really... I beleive, like many other things, that they are a "Fisherman's Tale" where the fish just keep getting bigger and tougher everytime the story gets told. It seems to be human nature, to brag about their battles, but spice em up just a little bit, enough to make it worth telling, which in turn gets inflated by a listener when re-telling and so on and so on. It is entirely possible that one day, a long long time ago, in a land far away, that a man came across a vicious reptile defending its territory and he became so scared when confronted about the events he stated and described what we know as dragons today. This is my view on the matter, it is entire plausible, but potentially ludacris at the same time. I hope all enjoy my take on the matter.

Oriental culture describes Dragons being very connected to water. There are many chinese myths and oral traditions that describe the dragon as being those that inhabit raindrops, seas, rivers, and more. I think the first one of these 'dragons' is the Alligator, that comes to mind. Another one of these dragons is the Australian monitor lizards, which belong to the genus Varanus. They have a stream lined shape, elongated neck, and sort of an erect posture, along with their split tongue, or forked tongue. The flapping of these forked tongues has often given the effect of fire breathing, because of the speed with which they flap. An even larger lizard in the chain is the Komodo Dragons, of indonesia. Indonesia, as we can agree, is a country that China has most likely visited. There is also scientific lines of study that point towards the possibility that these Komodo dragons are what killed the miniature humans, *person* floresiensis, who lived up near there until a few thousand years ago. These dragons had much more roaming land before the documented date, and it is understandable for a greater number of cultures to know of these types of reptiles. The progress of general knowledge had been comically been stomped on by Discovery Channel's mock-umentary Dragon's World: A Fantasy Made Real. A lot of people I know had suffered large amounts of confounding from what they thought was real, but the fact of the matter is that the dragon's documentary was completely fictional. It was a pseudo history made up for entertainment purposes only. But back to the point;There are floating ideas that western dragons have evolved from dinosaurs, because after all they needed to be around when humans were, and so the link between dragons and dinosaurs can not be a straight stream, because then the presence of dragons would break chronology. Pteronadon is the closest we have to a flying dragon, and the idea that these dinosaurs evolved later on to what we know as the draconian figures is very much more believable. The evolution wouldn't have to be too complicated either, as simple arms would be a large step towards fitting the description of the dragons we have in myth.So to the question, were dragons ever real? No evil dragons that wrapped around castles and shot down a rain of fire on valiant knights were not real, those were the creative fancies of writers at work and nothing more. But, as one might have grown to accept with the given and increasing proof, they could very much have had a solid basis for creation. What we consider dragons are simply what our ancestors thought of either a now extint relative of the dinosaur, or unearthed fossils of them.

Sorry for my ignorance, but isn't the komodo dragon a real dragon? I'm guessing it's not - is the name misleading? I think it's not a big matter whether they existed or not. For one thing they never bothered the world history, and they provided some good entertainment in the form of stories, so I've got no complaint about their existence!

I don't see why they could not of possibly existed. Just because we have not found fossal remains, doesn't really matter, perhaps they were rare, and we just haven't run onto a preserved fossal yet. Or maybe the wing structure was made not of bone, but of sinue that did not preserve like the bones did, and some of the dinosaur skeletons we have found actually are dragons.We have great gaps in the fossal remains of the various types of mankind, and I am sure that there were plenty of those around, so finding dragons may be virtually impossible. Maybe those early cave men considered and called the teradactile a dragon and the myth carried down threw the centuries that way.

Sorry for my ignorance, but isn't the komodo dragon a real dragon? I'm guessing it's not - is the name misleading? I think it's not a big matter whether they existed or not. For one thing they never bothered the world history, and they provided some good entertainment in the form of stories, so I've got no complaint about their existence!

Regarding my previous post ( the one above this ), I looked the K. Dragon up in WIkipedia and learned that the Komodo dragon is NOT a dragon. It does not blow fire or whatsoever. In fact the Komodo Dragon is a reptile and looks like a very fat lizard.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_Dragon
Edited by weberk (see edit history)

From a scientific standpoint, 99.9% of all organisms on Earth are extinct, and alot of them have not been discovered by scientists, so dragons could easily have existed.

-reply by Hello

DrangonsDid Dragons Ever Exist?

Personally, I do believe that the typical theory of "dragons" did at one point and may still exist.My reasoning behind this is that before people expanded from one place to another, most had pictures and articles of a flying beast, with strangely similarities portraying a dragon.  The way that I look at is this: If people did not yet have transportation to reach each other, nor did they they have the ability to discuss such a beast; then how did they magically end up drawing the same animal, with the same characteristics and abilities? China was one of the great that kept the scribes of this animal;to this day still sacred. 

With the animal discovered to this day still, I have no problem believing that many more exist.  We keep finding more and more, some that were recorded centuries ago; but never thought still existed. Who's to say that there are no such things as dragons?

-reply by Xena

they prolly didDid Dragons Ever Exist?They most likely did exist, we havent found fossil evidence yet, or we have but just don't know it...Yet. But they also could just be a myth like the greece gods and such. But most dinosours evolved into birds so its almost certain in my eyes that they evolved from dinosours, and like someone else said there wings maybe not made of bone.-reply by austin

how do we know if dragons didnt exist, we are currently finding new dinour species every year, so all we know, dragons could have existed during the dinosour period and that of the mid-evil times as well.

Re: SheepdogDid Dragons Ever Exist?

If what you are saying is correct, and that dinosaurs that have been unearthed, studied, and reproduced in skeletal mappings, they would have found some sort of connection hub on their shoulder blades or spine that allowed for wings. Also, sinew or cartilage could never support the tremendous weight that these beasts would have presented, so bone is the only logical approach to a wing design on a dragon.

The mythological "Dragon" that everyone has seen in European, Middle Eastern, and even Asian lore could not have existed; not the large monster that rivaled a Tyrannosaurus Rex (or Bigger!) in size. However :

Source: Blackdragon.Com/easterndragons.Html"Eastern dragons can be from Korea, Japan, or China. There are slight but subtle differences between them. Many different animals contribute toThe dragon's body. For instance, the dragon has the body of a snake,Belly of a frog, scales of a carp, head of a camel, horns of a giantStag, the eyes of a hare, ears like a bull, a neck like an iguana, pawsLike a tigers, and claws like an eagle. "

If you take a look at the ancient chinese calendar, most of these animals are the main compositional beasts that make up most of the calendar year of the chinese calendar. It only makes sense that along the way someone would have dreamed up a creature with the sum of all animals that represent the calendar.I don't think Dragons the way movies and lore present them ever did exist. However, there were flying dinosaurs that were no bigger than a very large eagle with wing spans of 12 feet or so that may have had modern relatives 10's of thousands of years ago that ancient man may have hunted into existence out of fear or even for food.

-reply by Proof

dragons did existDid Dragons Ever Exist?

As for your beliefs on dragons not existing... What about God?

At least there is fossils and proof that large like animals existed in "the days".

Fire breathing, you say not? I say yes.

Scientist found the fossils/bones of these animals but not the insides, guts etc.

I believe dragons did indeed exist and once I explain what I am here to people they think about it and realise I could indeed be correct in my beleifs.

Fire is caused by heat... Dragons could of had an acidic like spit as we all know humans produce acidic like fluids inside which are taken care of ... Dragons breathed out a heat (like humans with our hot breath, put your hand to your mouth) with this heat of their breath and the acidic like spit they produced it meaned they could produce fire easily. Acidic spit like a fuel.

Also  lots of history and stories are based on dragons or have dragons involved... "Puff the Magic Dragon" ,  Japanese "folk tales"... Your saying that you don't beleive in thousands of stories and historic beleifs...

Don't forget coat of arms... Families for centuries have had dragons on their arms as signs or courage etc... These also would be pointless right? based on lies?

I think not... There is more proof that dragons existed other then dinosaurs... There is stories of humans/dragons ... Where is the stories of dinosaurs/humans???? scientist make up one name for these whilst the history and past is telling me it's Puff the Magic Dragon which is a VERY VERY old folk tale so forget all your comments back like " a stoner wrote it about weed" etc

Thanks for those who read and beleive...

J.C.K

Dragons DID existDid Dragons Ever Exist?Replying to cots Hi, one time I was watching Discovery Channel, there was a documentary on a dragon they found frozen in ice, perfectrly preserved, they discovered it could fly and breath fire by using stone it chews up w/ its teeth and the grinding them together in a storage sack in its body. I think they did exist because of this.-reply by Jack

I think you have to take any mythical creature with a fistful of salt, like vampires (Apparently based on a blood thirsty prince I think) and werewolves, most could be quite easily based on something real but what you get is the chinese whispers effect as knowledge of the creature is passed down, where slowly over time the final outcome is shifted and what you end up with is fantasy ideals applied to what may have been a man with hypertrichosis (The wolf disease where you get hair all over your body).Do I think dragons existed? NoDo I think something that may have resembled a less beefed up dragon existed? Yes