xisto Community
apexbug

What Is The Fourth Dimension? something like a hypercube...?

The way I like to look at dimensions as an infinite number of spaces in the previous dimension. In other words, if you look at the second dimension, it has two directions: width and height. If we have infinite two dimensional planes stacked on top of each other we get a new dimension, the third dimension which adds depth. Now if we take an infinite number of third dimensional spaces and "stack them" on top of each other they would extend off into the fourth dimension. Now you can't exactly picture it because we are used to only having 3 dimensions, but imagine an infinite number of third dimensions "stacked" on top of each other in some dimensional direction that we have never been presented with before. Now that all of these are different third dimensional spaces we can use these to represent time. (Think of a flip book for a second, you have a series of two dimensional drawings stacked on top of each other each representing a different moment in time)

kinda confusing but i think i get it. i don't know why they have to be "stacked". i thought dimensions were just the number of "sides" (height, width and length) so what would be the next "side"?

i don't really understand how time could fit in with height, width and length.

so if we were discribing a box: It is 5cm high, 6cm wide, 20 cm long and 4:00am. :)

Well from what I have heard, time is a very good candidate for the fourth dimension but there is one more thing that my brother told me once. It might probably have been a joke but it can also be considered a possiblity. That being the hypercube one probably.All those ghosts that roam freely among us, spirits and biengs like these that we know are among us but cannot see them or see them they they deem fit for us to see them are actually existing in the fourth dimension but have the capability to shift to the third dimension at will.Well that one another take at this dimension thing but no matter how we put it, when something is beyond our comprehension, we cannot do more that just make theories and hypothesis about it.

The fourth dimension maybe those kind of things that have like you know, when you wear your glasses in some movies the things are coming out. If you are unsure what I am talking about then go and look at the, I think, Pirates 4d in thorpe park. That maybe 4d where it is height width, depth perception or something. That's just what I think. On the other hand 4dimensions may be purely theoretical, becuase it probably doesn't even exist.However, what about if it is like if you look at it on one side you see a 1d object, (such as a line) then you flip it over and voila there is a 3d object, so 1d and 3d make 4d? Any other ideas?

The fourth dimension maybe those kind of things that have like you know, when you wear your glasses in some movies the things are coming out. If you are unsure what I am talking about then go and look at the, I think, Pirates 4d in thorpe park. That maybe 4d where it is height width, depth perception or something. That's just what I think. On the other hand 4dimensions may be purely theoretical, becuase it probably doesn't even exist.
However, what about if it is like if you look at it on one side you see a 1d object, (such as a line) then you flip it over and voila there is a 3d object, so 1d and 3d make 4d? Any other ideas?

yeh im thinking exactly the same as you. I went on a science trip to watch a movie we put these glasses on and there where sharks and it looked asif it came out of the screen to infront of you! scary but awesome at the same time lol

Yeah,

I did some research and found this

Such a space differs from the familiar 3-dimensional space that we live in, in that it has an extra dimension, an extra degree of freedom. This extra dimension may be interpreted either as time, or as a literal fourth dimension of space, a fourth spatial dimension.

So maybe when it means time it means that when you make something in 3d, it may also regenerate or something in a given time.

Well from what I have heard, time is a very good candidate for the fourth dimension but there is one more thing that my brother told me once. It might probably have been a joke but it can also be considered a possiblity. That being the hypercube one probably.All those ghosts that roam freely among us, spirits and biengs like these that we know are among us but cannot see them or see them they they deem fit for us to see them are actually existing in the fourth dimension but have the capability to shift to the third dimension at will.
Well that one another take at this dimension thing but no matter how we put it, when something is beyond our comprehension, we cannot do more that just make theories and hypothesis about it.

Time is I think the only feasible option for the fourth dimension, because realistically there is no other dimension that our eyes could see in.

3d is what it is visionary wise, but maybe the fourth dimension could adopt one of our other senses?

I like to think of the fourth dimension (if it exists) as another dimension perpendicular to the three which we already know of. Time somewhat matches this, but since it progresses at a constant rate (somewhat) and you can only move forwards through it, it doesn't feel like it is the fourth dimension.

For anyone interested, an insightful read that comes to mind that is somewhat relevant to the discussion (although it pertains two two and three dimensions) is Flatland

What is the Fourth Dimension?It is my opinion that, in order for someone to provide an answer to this question, that individual must have a very clear understanding of what the Third Dimension is!And, just what is the Third Dimension?Well, it is LIFE - as we know it. Every individual has their own understanding of it, to a certain degree!By understanding the fundamentals of LIFE, an individual will then seek to learn more and understand the underlying layer of "Reality".How many people could really say, and be certain that they "know" and "understand" what LIFE really is?Could you?Interesting!

Well what i know is that the fourth dimension is time ie duration. You could describe a thing according to its age to be precise. Well you can say that i 18 with your dimensions. Well you can never stop imagining. First we though how can there be a third dimension and poof! we have depth. It was there before but it took time to realize. Similarly we would realize even more dimensions. What about 5th, 6th, or even100th dimensions. Think Big!

Dimensions are used to create the universe? So dimensions should include size: x y and z, nothing, time and location.As we are going through time, time exists. Without location, things are nowhere, and therefore does not exist? So there must be location. Without third dimension, there is nothing - no depth. Is location associated with one of the dimensions? Or is it a seperate dimension?

The 4th dimension is time.The thing you are talking about is the 5th, but other wise you're entirely right! Although it's actually incredible complex, so you can't really explain it in one meagre post... As a matter of fact there are 11 dimensions. But I can't explain them...

Woah, a Fourth Dimension? That is ummm....how? I mean 1-Dimensional is like a line, 2-D like a shape, and 3-D is like an object. Is it like some cyber-shape? Like in, programming languages, a multi-dimensional array?

i think the fourth dimension is time as said by Sir Albert Einstein Ultimately, it is best to think of the fourth dimension analogously. Considering that the 3rd dimension is a "new direction" to A. Square, we realize that the 4th dimension is a kind of new direction to us. To say that we don't have free access to it, it not to say we are in no way effected by it. This website in some ways, attempts to find possible connections. Consider what Einstein said about the fourth dimension.

According to me, there are no dimensions. Lines do not exist, such as shapes. 2D?-I don't think so. 3D exists but only in the computers, you can't say that there are 3 dimensions because 2 of them are used only in the mathematics and the 3D doesn't really exist as well because each object is made of atoms and it can be split. So, does the dimension depends only on atoms and molecules? Each of the molecules stands for itself and 3D can change it's shape just by waiting for the time to pass. It's not real because everything is made of atoms and an object can't stand for itself in the space. An object means numeral atoms in one place and that's that. Now according to Einstein the fourth dimension is time(if 'bypassing' my definition of the three dimensions), which makes your brain explode. Well yes, I guess that the time as we know it is just something which exists on the Earth and it's different in the space, on the moon or it's probably way to different at some of the other galaxies. Hmm, for instance, if a human being teleports to the closest galaxy to the Milky Way, Andromada, that person would of see the Earth(with some super telescope) as it was few million/billion years ago. That person would of see... fire or something. Now, if the person comes closer with some super WARP speed he would of be able to watch our Earth 'growing' into the thing we know today. And at some 'closer' place, he would of be able to watch the stuff going on at WW2, by sitting at one place. I don't know if that's possible and maybe there's some smart definition including the light and stuff, but that person would of be able to watch what happened in WW2, because the light doesn't teleports to a place, but it travels with it's own speed. But that wouldn't be time travel, it would of be just watching, the person watching wouldn't be able to do anything which would of change the stuff that happened. So, time is not a dimension because it's different at different places of the universes, maybe even it only exists in here ... But stuff happen out there too, so probably that isn't true...

According to me, there are no dimensions. Lines do not exist, such as shapes. 2D?-I don't think so. 3D exists but only in the computers, you can't say that there are 3 dimensions because 2 of them are used only in the mathematics and the 3D doesn't really exist as well because each object is made of atoms and it can be split. So, does the dimension depends only on atoms and molecules? Each of the molecules stands for itself and 3D can change it's shape just by waiting for the time to pass. It's not real because everything is made of atoms and an object can't stand for itself in the space. An object means numeral atoms in one place and that's that. Now according to Einstein the fourth dimension is time(if 'bypassing' my definition of the three dimensions), which makes your brain explode. Well yes, I guess that the time as we know it is just something which exists on the Earth and it's different in the space, on the moon or it's probably way to different at some of the other galaxies. Hmm, for instance, if a human being teleports to the closest galaxy to the Milky Way, Andromada, that person would of see the Earth(with some super telescope) as it was few million/billion years ago. That person would of see... fire or something. Now, if the person comes closer with some super WARP speed he would of be able to watch our Earth 'growing' into the thing we know today. And at some 'closer' place, he would of be able to watch the stuff going on at WW2, by sitting at one place. I don't know if that's possible and maybe there's some smart definition including the light and stuff, but that person would of be able to watch what happened in WW2, because the light doesn't teleports to a place, but it travels with it's own speed. But that wouldn't be time travel, it would of be just watching, the person watching wouldn't be able to do anything which would of change the stuff that happened. So, time is not a dimension because it's different at different places of the universes, maybe even it only exists in here ... But stuff happen out there too, so probably that isn't true...

This is similar to what I see is that all these terms are just something Humans thought of, just to explain things that were on paper and in Real-life. It's a tricky topic I must say, but there is a possibility for anyone's opinion to be true.

Most people consider the 4th dimension to be time or change, as this is another way to measure something. For example, a book could be 21cm wide, 30cm high, 6cm deep and 6 months old. 4 measurements, 4 dimensions. Some people then derive a theory that we can resize things along the x, y and z axis, so why not along time, so theories of time travel are then linked in.
There are also theories of a 5th dimension, but this gets incredibly complicated and confusing, and there are still a lot of people that believe we couldn't get as far as a 5th dimension.

In computer graphics, there is a 4th dimension - alpha. It's the opacity of an object, so you could say there's a object in front of you at coordinates X, Y, Z, but it's transparent with an alpha value of 0.1 (like glass).