xisto Community
apexbug

What Is The Fourth Dimension? something like a hypercube...?

There are four demensions in our universeLength ( 1st)Width (2nd demension, like objects on paper)Volume (3rd realistic objects are 3D)TIME (fourth demnsion)Time is the fourth demensionFor example, I live in Long Island New York, Right now its a suburb. but 70 years ago, it was all potato farmsits still the 3rd demension Land, but the fourth demension, time, changed itThus, if you can go through time, you achieved the fourth demensionHypercubes, all that weird stuff, thats in order to access it, In simple, Its time

Urentil, don't spam, this is your only warning.

Now, on topic, the fourth dimension is kind of confusing, but the best place to read up on it would be wikipedia.

The fourth dimension basically adds a new direction (ana/kata) to a 3 dimensional object, making it go through a new vector in space.

Also, check out the fifth dimension. It's similar.

still confused why people INSIST that there is no demension between the third and time.theories are just that...THEORIES. they have no factual basis for them. why this discussion is so interesting because it's open to other theories....at least for those who incorporate logic and an open mind....

all i can say is that im super confused after reading all the repliesXD.i think that the forth dimension has probably got to do with time since there are already definitions for the other dimensions.well,like what anwiii said,these are just theories.most people think it is like that,but it might NOT be like that.

I doubt it could be time. The first three dimensions are based on points in space, so I would assume the fourth dimension would have to be spatial as well. There could be an -alternate- dimension that corresponds with time, but not necessarily the -fourth- dimension, per se.

I guess you could say the 4th dimension has something to do with looking at an object and how it goes from one time to another.

Say we draw a cube. and we want to make it look like it was moved from one place to another. We could take each of the points on the cube, and draw a line to another place. If you know what perspective drawing is, then it's simalar to it. Those lines that we draw could represent where the cube was before and after it was moved.

A lot of this info is just based on how I see the topic, and what I've been told.
I was looking at a site that deals with higher dimensions other than the 3rd. The site explains the dimensions from Zero to the Tenth dimension.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's done in flash, and it takes a long time to load. And I'm on cable internet.
Edited by Gyad (see edit history)

Zeroth Dimension -Aa point is zero dimensional because it has has no width, length, or height and is infinitely small (aka height, length, width are all the smallest measurement in existance). Every point is exactly the same and has the same measurements, because it has no dimension.It's basically a 0-Hypercube.First Dimension- Take the Zeroth Dimension and pull it outwards from its center, in any direction towards another point creating a line segment. Line segments are one dimensional because they only differ by one measurment, which is length they all have the same width and height which is infinitely small (see above aka)If you infinitely expand the line segment it covers 1 dimensional space.It's a 1-hypercubeSecond Dimension - Take the line segment and extend it in any direction perpendicular to the first direction (making a square)Squares are two dimensional because they differ with each other by two measurements, width and length. They all have the same height, which is infinitely small (yeah, again <_<). All of the edges and angles are equal to each other. If you infinitely expand the line square it covers 2 dimensional space.It's a 2-hypercubeThird Dimension (our world) - Extend the non-infinite square in a third direction, perpendicular to both of the first two directions (cube). Cubes are three dimensional because they differ with each other in size by all of the three measurements that we know of width, length, and height. All of the edges and angles are equivilant to each other. If you expanded the cube infinitely in all directions, it would cover three-dimensional space3-hypercubeThe fourth dimension has 2/3 major theories about it:1. It is a smaller cube within one cube.2. it is a cube cubed by itself3. (semi-theory, not exactly the same type of description I put for 0, 1, 2, and 3) it is time, or what we see as time.Then there is a fifth dimension which many refer to as the tesseract, which is sorta like a portal into time that lets you move backwards or forwards in time...Think of it in terms of the zeroth dimension...Each point in time is a point in a cube... I.e we might express this as (1, 1, 1) being (x, y, z) now if we could go back to one point we could change the way the points look or what they equal to essentially rewrite history...Now here's the thing where it gets fuzy and where we'd need a new 5th dimension, each person has their own cube, but all the cubes come together to make one large cube... Our 'dimension' (in terms more of scifi, like think of an alternate dimension or world) now all of the dimensions form one cube that allows for portals between all the dimensions by moving our own cube to another dimension's cube, but then we'd be putting our history into another history and that wouldn't mesh, so we'd have to make a new cube in that dimension, sorta like an alternate life for ourself depending on what dimension we choose to be in.However each point in a cube constantly exsists at every shortest length of time, so essentially we move our concious mind to another point. But there is already a concious mind at that point, so in order to time travel we'd need to move their conciousness to ours...Now if you think about it this can explain the feeling many humans record of simply not knowing how they got somewhere or feeling something for the second time, aka deja vu...And when you think of it more you get into the realm of swaping mind and body with somebody by trading squares...it's all rather cool, just keep delving more and more into it and imagine what would be possible if this kind of technology or ability could be harnessed...

I think it is true about this theory. Do you know from how is that theory ? Of course from Albert Einstein. His was the cleverest man of all time. He thought that 4th dimension is a time. But there are theorys about 5th, 6th and even 7th dimension. Well i cant realize that there are so many dimensions, but i think it could be true about 4th dimension and time. <_<

Most people consider the 4th dimension to be time or change, as this is another way to measure something. For example, a book could be 21cm wide, 30cm high, 6cm deep and 6 months old. 4 measurements, 4 dimensions. Some people then derive a theory that we can resize things along the x, y and z axis, so why not along time, so theories of time travel are then linked in.
There are also theories of a 5th dimension, but this gets incredibly complicated and confusing, and there are still a lot of people that believe we couldn't get as far as a 5th dimension.

Hmm...Wow, I never really understood 4th dimension being time until that, cheers <_<

What I don't get is why can't it be another axis? Like x, y, z and w or something? We might not be able to see it, but I guess it could still be there...

Meh, I dunno :ph34r:

I didn't see a reply stating this, but from what I understand, time would be considered a 4th dimension... if we could travel in it. Someone else cited the Time Machine by H.G. Wells which I believe points out the reason time isn't considered a dimension yet is because we see nothing yet to make us believe we can travel more then one way on it. I also read a book called Tesseract or the Tesseria or some weird name like that about dimensions. If I had to think about dimensions, I'd say there's one of the spirit we don't tend to think about. I don't see it as dealing with space as we think of it, but hearts, souls, our thoughts all cross it.

I didn't see a reply stating this, but from what I understand, time would be considered a 4th dimension... if we could travel in it. Someone else cited the Time Machine by H.G. Wells which I believe points out the reason time isn't considered a dimension yet is because we see nothing yet to make us believe we can travel more then one way on it. I also read a book called Tesseract or the Tesseria or some weird name like that about dimensions. If I had to think about dimensions, I'd say there's one of the spirit we don't tend to think about. I don't see it as dealing with space as we think of it, but hearts, souls, our thoughts all cross it.

We can't travel more than one direction in time? Ok, how about forward (into the future). There's one. Now how about backwards (into the past), theres two.

Its the same with all other dimensions. You have your X, Y, and Z axes. You can travel forward and back on each one, leading to a three dimensional movement. You can travel forward and back in time also, so that leads to four dimensional movement.

I cited the Time Machine because it further proves the theory of Time being the Fourth dimension. Have you ever read it?

A spirit dimension? Maybe for those that believe in it. My heart is the organ in my chest that pumps blood.

I belive that the accepted scientific view right now is that there is 3 dimensions of space (up/down, left/right, forwards/backwards) and 1 dimension of time.An even harder idea to grasp is the one proposed by string theorists:According to string theory, there are upwards of ELEVEN dimensions. According to the theory, these dimensions exist as "rings" and are so incredibly small that we could never hope to see one.