xisto Community
apexbug

What Is The Fourth Dimension? something like a hypercube...?

Most people consider the 4th dimension to be time or change, as this is another way to measure something. For example, a book could be 21cm wide, 30cm high, 6cm deep and 6 months old. 4 measurements, 4 dimensions. Some people then derive a theory that we can resize things along the x, y and z axis, so why not along time, so theories of time travel are then linked in.
There are also theories of a 5th dimension, but this gets incredibly complicated and confusing, and there are still a lot of people that believe we couldn't get as far as a 5th dimension.

Hmm, to fther understand this. i for get what chapter, but read the book Time Machine by HG Wells, or even watch the movie. The book goes into the definition of the 4th demention and time.

i think the whole idea of the fourth dimension is rather silly, especially if used improperly. on discovery theu were advertising a show about fetus' using "new fourth dimension technology", basically it was just a bunch of computer animation.

there is another theory:

take an imaginary graf, we have X,Y and Z dimentions. Now, we can talk about dimention, because we can give a quote to that dimention (X=something), so in an imaginary 3d object we have 3 dimention as we have: (for example) X=3, Y=5 and Z=4.

Now looking to that grafic, we can say that for X we can give a value from -∞ to+∞ .

and we can says: we have an X of 1 or to or 3 or 4 or 5... and so on. This "so on" make the X an axe (if not we whould only have an imaginary point)

now in that theory the 4th will be when a point can be infinitly small or infinitly big.

as ofr the X we have 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

for that point siutated there we have 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001, 0.00001, 0.000001

so an imaginary list (dimention) of numbers extremly smalls will came out from the point as a line:

Z..........Y...........X

^.........^..........^

\..........|........../

..\........|......../

....\......|....../

......\....|..../______________>Imaginary 4th dimention

........\..|../

..........\|/

Let me know if you understood...

PS: I'm not making the graf for credits, I already have my account, I don't care, it's only for you to understand..

Edited by alexviii (see edit history)

I believe the fourth dimension have to do with our dreams within religion and other issues concerning our thoughts and feelings. This dimension may not be physicall to this extend however, i believe that humanity can develop something which makes us experiance this dimension in a very different aspect. ever heard the expression - A broken feeling is worst than a broken bone. Is this true? Sometimes The fourth dimension can express it in a physicall suffix in resulting the mathematical purposes of heimlich law.If you have any further questions please pm me.thanks.peo

I saw a movie on something like this. It said that a plain line is 1 dimentional. Now make to lines and connect them to get a 2 dimentional square. Now make two squares and connect them to get a 3 dimentional cube. Make two cubes to ge ta 4 dimentional hypercube. That doesn't sound right, because then we could make stuff like 10 dimentional. Some kid that I knew said the 4th dimention was time, but I'm pretty sure thats wrong.

I believe the fourth dimension have to do with our dreams within religion and other issues concerning our thoughts and feelings. This dimension may not be physicall to this extend however, i believe that humanity can develop something which makes us experiance this dimension in a very different aspect.
ever heard the expression - A broken feeling is worst than a broken bone. Is this true? Sometimes The fourth dimension can express it in a physicall suffix in resulting the mathematical purposes of heimlich law.

If you have any further questions please pm me.

thanks.

peo

Some ones says that God live in the 4th dimention, that is why we can't see him....

Absolutely unacceptable.. Even if he live there (and I beleive in Him) this is not an explenation of what is a 4th dimention.

We should try to think rationally. first of all the 4th dimention should be a dimention, and not an object.
so, an imaginary object should be able to move in that dirction.

Now the time can be something similar to a dimention. all the rest can be reduced to the others 3 (feelings are produced from our brain which is nothing more than an oject included in our 3 dimentions).

However, I'm not excluding the idea of God or Spirit as part of a word out of our 3 dimentions.

Time is a vector, being unidirectional like a one-way street. That's why we can't travel backwards thru it in some kind of imagined time-machine. Although it could be argued in theory, it's possible to move forward (leap) faster than at our customary natural progression. But to accomplish that, you'd have to be able to accelerate the expansion of the universe for at least a brief moment. Should that ever occur within our lifetime (which is highly doubtful) we'd very likely be unaware it was even happening (as it was occuring) regardless of whether it was for a second, minute, hour, day, month, year, etc. During the interval in which this theoretical "leap ahead" were to occur, time as we perceive it WOULDN'T seem to accelerate for us, for the same reason and in the same way we feel we're stationary or not moving (inside) a car that's traveling at definite and varying rates of acceleration. The only thing we'd be aware of would be a sudden onset of (natural) changes that occured faster than they should have, for which we have no reasonable explanation. For example, our hair might grow a foot long and turn gray seemingly overnight or even right before our eyes, if we happened to be looking in a mirror at the right moment. The expected changes (such as aging) that would've otherwise occured at time's "normal" rate would still happen, but at a much accelerated rate for some period.
Time isn't a dimension, at least in the usual sense, although it's useful to conceptualize it being mapped over some dimension, being the 4th as pondered by Einstein. Time (change) is continually ongoing and affects everything around us in profound ways. So it has to be reckoned with in some sort of model or other that's convenient to deal with.

It's merely a tool we devised based on the amazingly consistant intervals of planetary motion. A time measurement interval always having some chosen starting and ending points. It's purpose being to keep track of and have a way to monitor CHANGE, presumably of our expanding universe and all the other things changing within it.

Time, by definition, can't "run backwards" since it's vector-based. But we can certainly choose the interval's starting and ending points to be ones which have already occured sometime in the past. In that way, we have the ability to examine some event or events which have already passed. We can record some event that's occuring in the present using some form of media (paper, film, DVD, etc) and play it back any time we choose, at some later date in the future.

Notice the process doesn't work the other way around, however. An interval's starting point sometime in the future and whose ending point is even further in the future can't yield any useful information, until that interval of time has elasped. Just as in the example of recording a movie or TV show that's not going to air until tomorrow.

If the theory of the expanding universe is accurate and there comes a point where it stops expanding and begins contracting (consistant with Newton's law) time would then run in an opposite direction, relative to the direction it's now moving. But that doesn't mean what we know to be our history would run backwards like a movie played in reverse. It simply means time would progress in the exact opposite direction of the original time vector. Other than that, it'll just be a continuation of where it left off before the reversal occurred. A kind of game half-time, so to speak.

The unpleasant thing to ponder is what will happen once THAT vector comes to and end. Game over? Some argue the "big bang" will reoccur in an implosion of all matter in the universe, as it reunites. We were taught "matter can neither be created nor destroyed" (presumably by any of us) which implies the whole process must unfold again in it's infinite glory. But certainly "the creator" (or whomever you believe) did accomplish the creation of all the matter in our universe and by implication, could well be capable of it's destruction in whole or in part.

Notice from serverph:
COPIED CONTENT from http://www.wellstonforum.com/4d/view.php?message=7168
QUOTES added. MEMBER SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY after repeated violations, and still failing to follow this simple forum rule: NO PLAGIARISM.

Ive always thought of the 4th dimension as something you can touch. For example you see a cube drawn 3d on a peice of paper.For all you know it could alot of 2d squares side by side packed up tight.If you were holding a cube in your hand you would be able to feel contours and would know that its not a cube but infact squares added together. You can verify any shape being 3d while touching it where as youll never know by looking at it.

A spirit dimension? Maybe for those that believe in it. My heart is the organ in my chest that pumps blood.

and for those who DONT believe in it because facts don't change. perception does.

my theory is that there is something between the third dimension and the demension of time. there has to be unless my logic is off. each dimension connects itself to the previous demensions. they are all related and linked which means to me that perception also changes dimension. i.e. someone's third dimention could be someone elses fourth when you reverse perception. i believe time is the 5th and there's a layer that seperates 3rd and 5th. i wouldn't go so far to say the spirit world, but i am not saying the spirit world isn't included in that dimension, i just don't think the name justifies the true meaning of the fourth dimension.

the closest theory to mine that i've read is the cube inside a cube...literally another plane or layer. my perception on this is that the other cube would have the same dimentions as the other cube, they would be linked because you would have to have the 3rd to have the fourth. we would look at it as the 4th dimension, but the people or things living in that 4th dimension would look at it as the 3rd. hard to explain.

but if you don't believe in spirits, then you don't believe in angels, fairies and unicorns or other mythalogical cratures that sometimes get trapped in our 3rd dimension.

hmmmm hard to explain my thoughts in words. although all the dimensions have to do with perception INDIRECTLY, i believe the 4th has to do with unlimited perception DIRECTLY. then, from the 4th, you can link time. after time, i don't believe there are other dimentions to be accounted for.

the reason i put time after the fourth is because although time can be linked to the 3rd dimention, it would be limited and no dimention is limited except by perception...

ok...whatever. i know i am not explaining it correctly. hope i confused you all haha

Honestly... i think that giving the dimensions numbers like the post above is useless http://www.traipse.com/hypercube/ <---that is a representation and explaination of a hypercube which confuses most people into thinking they missed something major... Time Being an illusion as it is everything moving as a whole couldn't even be described as age so it cannot be a dimension because it is every particle of being moving at once. and on the hypercube note, it seems to just be a wadded mess of other cubes ad 1d is a line 2d is flat and 3d is a 360 degree on an infinite amount of angles it seems that there couldnt be a fourth dimension...but every theory can be misproven i suppose

You guys should watch the movies CUBE, CUBE 2, and CUBE ZERO. These are 3 movies about a hyper cube and how people were inside it. It was pretty cool. Mathematically we can show that there are more than 4 or 5 dimensions. In fact, mathematically we can show that there are INFINITE number of dimensions. We don't understand what those dimensions are but we can manipulate it in mathematics.Just look up n-th dimensional space in mathematics.

This is very interesting...y axises x z i e j axis whatever... but 5th dimension guys???????? it is soo hard to understand the 4th to be time, let alone the 5th dimension.. But I am definelty going to try to get more information about this. Very interesting.

According to the somewhat recent and new idea of M-theory, there are eleven dimensions of movement where we are and not only three dimensions. If anyone wants to read into it, there are some somewhat unsettling ideas floating around ( pun intended ) with it that explain the weakness of gravity, the big bang, and a couple of other noteworthy things.

i remember watching some doco on the string theory and that the theory opened alot of speculation to how many dimensions there actually are. they do believe there is a fourth dimension, and they also believe that there may be more. teh foruth dimension is a non-physical dimnsion in which we ccan't see or realise. its the energy or such which creates things.. i think haha i can't really remember. i just know that its beyond us to actually see this dimension as it doesnt exist physically. it may just be what yiu guys wre talking about, time and space that is. although i find these sorts of things really interseting, i lack the knowledge to understand most of it hehe. it just doesnt make ne sense to mearrr, how can there be a dimension beyond the third. i mean what does it look like, just seems strange. ;x