xisto Community
apexbug

What Is The Fourth Dimension? something like a hypercube...?

What is the fourth dimension? The majority of theorists consider it to be Time itself however it might as well be a totally unknown direction in the universe.The three known directions might be up/down, north/south, and east/west and so we might not know the fourth dimension and it could very well be a part of our life already.

I lost a cell phone in the 4th dimension.No really, it must be in there somewhere! And don't say what everyone else does - Drinking for 15 hours straight you were bound to lose something, just be glad it was your phone and not your liver.The mystery continues. Let me know if you see my cell phone floating about in this 4th dimension. :)

lol.. hypercube.. i dont' think there are such thing. A pologon can have many sides, but no matter how you look at it, you can only see; length, width, and height. It's pretty hard to imagine a 4th physical demension since it is out our our comprehension.

And yes , the fouth dimension has to be time. For those that know about einstien's special relativity theory, time isn't constant, so we can consister it as a dimension.

Imagine if you were to live in a 1 dimension world, you might not be able to see anything (other 1 dimension creature) or move around freely, you will stuck in one place forever. In a 2 dimensional world, all you can see are lines and you can only move up, down, left, right. Those are the only direction a two dimensional creature can move. Next comes the 3 dimensional work, this time, you don't need to imagine because you could already see 3 dimensional objects now and can move freely everywhere you want.

In all 3 worlds (1, 2, and 3 dimensional worlds), you won't be able to do much since time is not one of the varible. Time describe movement of objects, since there is no time, creatures that live in a 1,2, and 3 dimensional world cannot move or possibbly exist since they cannot think or do anything.

The fourth dimension world is what we are living in right now. As i'm typing my thoughts right now, you can probably guess that i have to move my fingers inorder to type. This shows that time does exist in our world and therefore we are living in a 4 dimensional world.

LOL... i hope what i just typed is coherent.

:P I totally agree except for the time :) part.

I do Technical drawing and computers at school , 1d , 2d ,3d great , no problems, because I can visualize these.

But in computers , 4d arrays seem stupid, pointless and hard to imagine, because there is no application of it in real life.

Fourth dimension does NOT exist. Every point in space can be defined by x,y and z axis. (width , height and depth)

HG Wells' theory that the fourth dimenision is time is also crap. Why ? because you are dealing with a physical quantity , that has to be defined at THIS moment of time. By using this logic, we can exclude the possibilities (and complications) that time brings forth. We now do not have to worry about whether the object is even going to be existing in the next moment of time.

I didn't read all the replies, so I'm not sure anyone's posted this yet, but anyways, try checking out the website:
http://www.tenthdimension.com/
There's a pretty good explanation of all the alleged dimensions, though most people get lost at around five or six... :)

As long as we can't see / feel / experience anything higher than 3d , we don't have to worry about them. I don't consider time as a dimension, because of simple logic:Suppose an atom exists at present, and if we consider time as an dimension, then one can presume that at one point in time , the atom did not exist , and the next moment it appeared from nowhere, since time as a dimension will allow us to do this."Matter cannot be created or destroyed"

i remember watching some doco on the string theory and that the theory opened alot of speculation to how many dimensions there actually are. they do believe there is a fourth dimension, and they also believe that there may be more. teh foruth dimension is a non-physical dimnsion in which we ccan't see or realise. its the energy or such which creates things.. i think haha i can't really remember. i just know that its beyond us to actually see this dimension as it doesnt exist physically. it may just be what yiu guys wre talking about, time and space that is. although i find these sorts of things really interseting, i lack the knowledge to understand most of it hehe. it just doesnt make ne sense to mearrr, how can there be a dimension beyond the third. i mean what does it look like, just seems strange. ;x

I was watching something like that on PBS, at the time I knew little about anything revolving around physics or any branch of science, so I retained very little, I've wanted to see it again ever since. Though your post is helping me remember, but the most vivid thing is like a picture of a guy in like greyscale, and a bunch of other color tones all next to each other (i.e. diff dimensions?)
I dunno :) now you made me very, very sad and now I need to mess with the 4th dimension and go back in time and watch it!!! :)

that link some1 posted, that is bloody awsome... Its hard tho.But i never knew the other dimensions after 4. Thanks :).Now i can show of at work :)

Everybody has said anything I would have said about the possibility of a fourth dimension, so I'll just say one thing - it's logical.

Most people consider the 4th dimension to be time or change, as this is another way to measure something. For example, a book could be 21cm wide, 30cm high, 6cm deep and 6 months old. 4 measurements, 4 dimensions. Some people then derive a theory that we can resize things along the x, y and z axis, so why not along time, so theories of time travel are then linked in.
There are also theories of a 5th dimension, but this gets incredibly complicated and confusing, and there are still a lot of people that believe we couldn't get as far as a 5th dimension.

As long as I know, some communities have their own description of the 4th dimention. Some believe it's time, while others refer to some place doesn't exist in real world. But, basically, dimention is measureable. So, it must be measured. As long as we can measure something, I think it can be described as a dimention. If you add it after the three previous dimentions, it would be called "4th dimention", 5th and so on.

well i have heard that the fourth dimension IS time, and they have already defined it and everything. but i've searched and can't find the article on the web anywhere. as for a fith dimension i'm not too sure.

I am pretty sure we all know what the first three dimensions are. I believe the fourth is time, but I also have a theory on the 5th dimension, life/death maybe? I do have some ideas for it though...First off, the 0th dimension is a speck, nothing special, its just there. The first dimension is a single line, which is the dimension of length. Its entire universe is within itself, it cant go anywhere else. The second dimension is the two variables of length by width. So in theory, if you draw a 2D person on a piece of paper, the only place it can go is with in the paper itself, but if you draw a box around the person, he is enclosed within it and cannot get out. This is because he cannot cross into the third dimension to get out of it. Also, if the 2D person saw a 3D image, then as he looked around it, it would get variantly wider and skinnier because his dimension does not have depth, so he cannot percept the depth of the 3D image. In the third dimension, it is llike a cube, inside a bigger cube, it cannot ecape its prison, because it is trapped within its own dimension. 4th dimension however, if it was time, it could be manipulated in the third dimension as to go back or foreword in time until the cube it is enclosed in would no longer exist, so to speak as a third dimensional thing could just go around the square because it has depth and the second dimensional person does not. Now for the fifth dimension, i believe, is life or death. As you hear from ghost stories (I dont really know if i believe in them or not), they can go through walls and disappear in a flash. They can possibly walk through walls because they have already been all the way through time because they died and can manipulate the lower dimensions such as we can to the lower dimensions under us. They also I believe they can disappear in the same way a 3D apple gets skinny to the 2D person. Also, since ghost sightings the spirits appear in the era of clothing of when they lived and died in. Also, with the fourth variable being time, there is ways to slow it and speed it up. In the theory of relitivity by Einstein, he states that the faster you go, as in the closer you get to attaining Lightspeed, the slower time goes by, and according to the theory of Kherr black holes, they are spinning black holes with no center becasue of the mass amount of rotation, that it would create a parallel, or negative force on the oppite side of the space time contium called white holes, which is another theory of time travel. goto HowStuffWorks.com if you want to know more about time travel. :)

I also think that four'th dimension does'nt do with time.Does the 4D movies you see involves time?I think 4D is the feeling we get.Because it makes you feel your really inside the movie!Or maybe how solid it is.Because in those movies, you see light, any other nice things.like water.Or maybe it means distant.4D movies lets you see the distant between you and the object.And if you ask which one do i think is most likely to be the 4D,I'd say distant.

I also think that four'th dimension does'nt do with time.Does the 4D movies you see involves time?
I think 4D is the feeling we get.
Because it makes you feel your really inside the movie!
Or maybe how solid it is.
Because in those movies, you see light, any other nice things.
like water.
Or maybe it means distant.
4D movies lets you see the distant between you and the object.

And if you ask which one do i think is most likely to be the 4D,
I'd say distant.

4D movies really don't add another dimension, everything in them, are 3D, it's really just a coined term for those type of movies.
I think the Fourth Dimension, but really, maybe calling it a dimension is wrong in the first place?

EDIT:
@ paulmason411
The image is a theoretical tesseract, it's essentially instantaneous travel through space and time. Think of it sorta like a 'wormhole' which is called that because the metaphical apple the worm lives in is the universe/dimension. The worm could travel around the apple, or it could go straight through the center to get there faster. I hope that cleared it up, a bit.
Edited by Voidless_Shadows (see edit history)