xisto Community
apexbug

What Is The Fourth Dimension? something like a hypercube...?

I really dont think the fourth dimention is time. It could be a something but time but like Dooga said it can allow two points to be in the same position with out overlaping. It can allow us to turn a soccer ball inside out without damaging the surface. Sounds impossible, huh? Well think of it this way. If u and I r point on a plane-say a paper 1-999999999999999... -so thin we can ignore the thickness. On this plane we are a metre apart and there is no way we can ever dream of coming in contact without closing the gap. Now when we introduce the z-axis the plane can be folded so that we can come in contact without attempting to close the gap btwn us. In the fourth dimention u could be some where close to me right now

Most pple will trell you about the posibilities opened by having 4 dimensions but will not explain just what this thing is. In mathematic our teacher told us that when we try to solve an equation and we find the answer has square roots of negative numbers it means the roots are the additional dimention. So if u plot the graph for y=x(1+x2) you will only see the other point where it touches the y-axis if you look at it in 4D-but how can u do that. This is so mind boggling but the subject is interesting

Edited by kudmus (see edit history)

4demension

What Is The Fourth Dimension?

I don't think we can see above our demension but we can only see below it.There might be a thousand demensions but we only have a limited mind to understand it.

What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth spatial dimension, then, can be described by "sticking together", that is by attaching or merging, several three-dimensional spaces in a row, but in a way that extends into the fourth dimension. To understand this concept, think of putting pieces of paper side by side. The sheets do not extend into the third dimension until one puts them on top of one another (to add height, along with the other two dimensions). So in order to extend into the fourth dimension, it is necessary to add "ana" or "kata." To get to some point in the four-dimensional space, one travels along the three-dimensional spaces, and also across the fourth dimension. The total number of vectors involved is four.

That was from wikipedia. Did anyone actually UNDERSTAND what all that load of nonsense (at least to me) meant?

And they went on about things like shining light on different dimension objects to produce different dimension shadows etc. How extremely confusing...

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything which isn't original to the forums needs to be Quoted.

Wow, reading these replies just confuses me. You're all explaining the "fourth dimension" using a scientifical point of view.The only type of "fourth dimension" I have heard of is like those at Disney World. "A Bugs Life - 4d!" where the fourth dimension means the ability to feel and smell, not just see. I'm not completely sure if this is what it is really supposed to mean or anything, but that's what they call it, :D.

forth dimention

If shadows live in the second dimention and we live in third it only leaves one to beleave that we must evolve in order to comprehend a forth and as we have only been here for 7 million years (so they say) we may have a wile to wait. But considering all the speculisum suronding this topic and the fact the dinosaurs were here 5,6,700 million years it leads one to beleave it may already have a more evolved race/races living there.For it is arrogance to beleave we are the only ones in the known universe.

-reply by tony

To add to what Lightning73 so rightly said above (which I would have said if Lightning73 had not gotten there first). The two dimensional line that people are talking about also has width, giving it a third dimension also. Everything that we can perceive with our eyes is three dimensional. Even when somebody uses a picture on a page as an example of a two-dimensional image, you can ask yourself how thick the page is.

But here is the trick. If you take a three dimensional object, let's say our classic 3D cube for instance and place it within another 3D cube, a room for instance, and you move it from one location to another, then you are said to be moving it in three dimensions right? You can move it up/down, left/right, and in/out. But, consider, that when you move the cube it moves through a fourth dimension at the same time, because it is also moving through time, which travels at a constant velocity. We measure time in seconds, minutes, hours, etc and no matter where in the world you are, the length of one second is the same, the length of time that a minute takes is constantly 60 seconds. While measuring systems for the other three dimensions can vary (how many centimeters are there in an inch, for instance?) time is measured the same all over the world. Going back to our cube within a cube example, when you move the cube positionally in the three dimensions, the time that it takes to travel from one location to another must also be taken into consideration, as the cube exists in a series of 3D coordinates along the path from the original position to the new position, and for each period of time that it spends in every one of those various locations on the way to its final resting place, you can say that it is already at a new location anyway!

However if while moving the 3D cube you cause it to cease to exist, and then you create a new 3D cube at the new location within your spatial area of the room, then have you really moved the cube from one location to the other, or have you simply created a new cube? No matter how much the new cube resembles the old one, isn't it just a new cube? What's more, if you don't move the cube at all, if it stays exactly where it is, then it is still moving. Huh? How can it still be moving if it is not moving? It moves through time, which, as I stated before, is moving at a constant velocity. Given enough time, if our 3D cube were made of wood, or iron, or Swiss cheese, it would eventually decompose, and thus the shape, the three-dimensionality of the cube object itself would change as it corrodes with time. This, I believe, is proof that time is the fourth dimension.

for comparison, lets think like thisOn a paper, draw X and Y coordinates, then put A on 0,0 and draw a line to B 10,10lets see, if A try to reach B, the distance is square root(((10-0) * (10-0)) + ((10-0) * (10-0)))which is square root(20) or 4.47But as we know that, this 2 dimension things can be imagine, because it is inside a 3 dimension! That's why we forget that the piece of paper that we used to draw A and B is in fact a 3D object. That's why, we can actually clamp or warp this paper so that A and B can be met in one point so the distance is 0.By this assumption, we are just like A and B, if we were them, we will need to travel from A to B using the coordinates defined, which is 0,0 1,1 2,2 and etc until 10,10. There is not other closest path. But if we used another dimension which is Z, we can just warp this paper so A and B is met without having to travel any bit of distance.So, if we are 3D objects in this current world, then if the fourth dimension is exist, that means that we may not know 'other shortcut path' from my place to liberty statue, maybe what I know is from drawing a line from my place to liberty statue on a map, and fly according to this distance. But what if another entity exist in fourth dimension, which just like we 3D things compare to A and B (2D things)? If they exist, they might know that we can go to liberty using the t coordinate which is believed to be time.So the Einstein states that if something can travel faster than light, so they could go to warp in our 3D space to another space! Which the key is the light, you know why? In spiritual view, light is a matter that comes from love, to love is to light, such as enlighten in Buddhism. If we love than we can defeat time, that's why true love is beyond time limit.

the answer to the forth dimention.

Here the definition of time: Time is 4th dimension and is equal to radius of sphere where the space is defined. Compression or expansion of space will generate compression or expansion of time. All four dimensions are correlated and cannot be separated. More concise: space is surrounded by time or defined by time and part of time. This is way so far time cannot be seen because is hard to be seen from inside.

Simple Math of Time Definition

At any moment a partition of time d(t) is a partition of radius d(are) d(t)=d® and include space d(s)

The vector are(t) is: x = x (t)

Y = y (t)

Z = z (t)

Any movement in space (x, y, z) will be: are = (x, y, z,)= xi + yj + zk

If r(t) derive twice are

First derivate r�(t) = v (speed).

Second derivate r�(t) = a ( acceleration)

Speed vector v(t) = r�(t)=( x�(t), y�(t), z�(t) ) = x�(t)I + y�(t)j + z�(t)k)

Acceleration vector:

A(t) = v�(t) = r�(t) = ( x�(t), y�(t), z�(t)) = x�(t)I + y�(t)j + z�(t)k

Here how space is surrounded by time.

-reply by yash

is the forth dymension proven to be real or is it just a theory? i kinda lost you as well as you were describing the cube and dimensions. :lol:

There are plenty of things you can define as the fourth dimension. The question is whether or not it is useful to do so. One of the most popular definitions for the fourth dimension is that it represents time. This is often the case in mechanical and engineering problems. You can define something in terms of an x-position, a y-position, a z-position and its position in time.

The fourth dimension can also be one of space. Wikipedia has some mind-bending animations which try to explain it, but it is still very difficult to get your head around ^_^

There are plenty of things you can define as the fourth dimension. The question is whether or not it is useful to do so. One of the most popular definitions for the fourth dimension is that it represents time. This is often the case in mechanical and engineering problems. You can define something in terms of an x-position, a y-position, a z-position and its position in time.
The fourth dimension can also be one of space. Wikipedia has some mind-bending animations which try to explain it, but it is still very difficult to get your head around :lol:

yeah i don't really get the animation. does the shape of it change because that is what it looks like to me. and i don't get how time could be a dimention. i haven't studied that kind of stuff in science so that is probably why i don't get it one bit.

i don't get how time could be a dimention

The way I like to look at dimensions as an infinite number of spaces in the previous dimension. In other words, if you look at the second dimension, it has two directions: width and height. If we have infinite two dimensional planes stacked on top of each other we get a new dimension, the third dimension which adds depth. Now if we take an infinite number of third dimensional spaces and "stack them" on top of each other they would extend off into the fourth dimension. Now you can't exactly picture it because we are used to only having 3 dimensions, but imagine an infinite number of third dimensions "stacked" on top of each other in some dimensional direction that we have never been presented with before. Now that all of these are different third dimensional spaces we can use these to represent time. (Think of a flip book for a second, you have a series of two dimensional drawings stacked on top of each other each representing a different moment in time)