xisto Community
amit nigam

Can There Be More Than One Universe?

Universe : Single or Infinite !!!!!!!!!!!  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dont know why there are some who are voting for a single universe. It has already been proven that there are others or at least i thought it has. It would be ignorant to think there wasnt. What makes humans so special to think that we are the only life in the universe? There are planets in our own solar system that could have supported life at one time or another.

I dont know about other life forms out there. Statistics point to the probability that they do exist.

It is very difficult to say that something couldn't exist (except perhaps in mathematics), although the proof lies with the claimant if that person says an additional universe does exist.

But what qualifies an alternate universe? What item of evidence would point to it? What piece or sets of pieces combined would show that its not just an extension of the current universe? I'm not up to speed on physics, but to my knowledge no-one has a clue.

I think the best we can do for now is say that it's possible. But then again, few things arent.

I can see why people enjoy the relative finality of mathematics :lol:

I do think it is possible to have an alternate universe. Anything is possible and can be unusually mysterious. I think people should keep an open mind until someone can prove that such an alternate universe exists.

the definition of universe is something along the lines of "everything" (cliche i know!) so i really dont think that there is place to be open-minded here. because nothing can be outside of everthing...just my thoughts

I love ther idea of there being an alternate universe - the thought that there's an alternate 'me' out there and that she's different due to the choices in her life. I like too see how her life turned out opposed to mine, but I find it a little hard to believe. I suppose, rationally, there has to be millions of alternate universes out there splitting off from every choice we've ever made but I just have difficulty picturing it is all.

what is the scientific definition opf a universe anyway? you would first have to know it before being able to determine if it's a possibility of more than one. "uni" suggest 1 of something....but 1 of WHATuni is a prefix of verse....so what is VERSE. it can also be possible that uni is NOT a prefix of universejust some things to think about that i have no clue on. maybe someone can inform me...

I think that it's possible not like as a fantasy, but actually as different "states" of the universe.It's not something like "going through a black hole and ending up in a different universe"... more like "time isn't constant and hence we conclude that some parts of the universe are in different time states and space... etc."Somewhat going past the 4th dimension, but like I said this isn't supposed to sound like some comic book or a crappy sci fi movie.

actually its not as some people hav put it....tht universe consists of everything....actually universe, as we know it, consists of everything that is in this universe.....it has been proved that their are wormholes thru which one can go from one universe to another...and as far as i know this is not a concept of some fiction writer but the result of work done by or done over some theories of great scientists like Albert Einstein and others..

I don't see how that could possibly have been proven, amit, since in order to "prove" something scientifically, you must be able to test it, and there is no way to test to see if an object going through a wormhole will arrive in another dimension, at least not at this point in time.And no, alternate universes have not been proven, although multiple dimensions are highly probable, as is quantum entanglement, but neither necessarily point to a multiverse.

There is totally a whole other universe out there. I bet they all have advanced technology, and are sitting around in talking about whether or not there is possibly another universe out there. I have complete faith in that.

ya. i totally agree with u that there is definitely other universes out there. just , its a matter of time that when we are able to develop our technology to a level when we can have communication with them. or they develop so much that they communicate with us.

I don't see why not, Why should there only be one universe. But then that brings up "where does the universe end?" If the universe goes on forever, then how can you have more then one?But I personally think the universe is in a shape of a sphere, but just really big.

I definitely think there is another universe - or more than one - out there. I don't know if we'll ever find it but I wouldn't say we're the only people/universe out there. :lol:

The run of thoughts Einstein had about the wormhole idea was that the mass of a black hole is so large that it could actually break through space-time but I don't think the physics behind this are very solid... no offense to Einstein, of course :P