xisto Community
amit nigam

Can There Be More Than One Universe?

Universe : Single or Infinite !!!!!!!!!!!  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've seen several pieces of evidence in support for the fact that the universe IS expanding. That is true. I don't think that the universe has any boundaries: I believe it is impossible to hit a wall and not be able to pass it. I also believe that the universe has a FINITE amount of matter in it.But something else Hawking mentioned in one of his books is that it is possible that one could continue traveling in one direction within the universe, and eventually end up on the other side (like traveling around the Earth: There are no boundaries, there's a finite amount of matter, and yet you never come to an end)

truefusion: Where does he mention that? I don't remember reading that in the bible anywhere. If he did, please tell me what book and passage I would like to reread that one.

@Truefusion, that maybe true in christian lore but it is never mentioned in the bible or at least the catholic and lutheran versions at least.

Heh, that's cause it's not in the Bible. The Bible lacks some information on specific events that really happened.It's in the Gospel of Barnabas: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
But, i wonder, will you not believe it, just cause it's not in the Bible?

There are these and that theories surrounding the existence of another Universe, since it is not proved the concept and the word to describe neither exist. And we still live with the idea of Universe. This is a hard guess because there is no proof to think that they actually exist. And even if they exist we have no communication with them nor such communication is not feasible. Therefore, in my personal opinion such kind of thinking are just a fantasy. Both the sides have their points that will never meet. It is like a saying, "There is three-mouth snake, but no one has seen yet"...

And that is a good point for a lot that science and religion have to offer. Funny how much they are similar more than they are different.Science does offer a lot of imperical evidence and religion offer spiritual evidence. Whether you believe in one or the other, thet truly are based on faith. yes even science.

well yeah there's other galaxy's but the UNIVERSE is intfinite. if you're saying that there's another universe then you're really talking about alternate dimensions.

or different places in the same dimension and the same universe.

matto to your post about expansion of the universe scientists hae noe for years that the universe has expanded. I was toying with astromony back in my teenage years.

I believe the expansion had to do wit hte way galaxies are moving.

I recommend some of these readings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe%23ExpaBig_Bang_theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble%27s_Law

it should explain a little bit on how the universe is expanding.

@truefusion I know about the mission chapters of the bible, some say its a dirty secret that the vatican is holding, I beeive another missing part of the bible was apoclytica or something like that. It has to do with more of the book of revalation of course their the mysterious book of jesus wrote himself as well, but that another topic to think about.

Firstly, time has been proven to be a dimension. Secondly, if you were to experience time 2x faster, then the day would be 12 hours, not 48.

I don't know what I was thinking there. Thanks for correcting me (in both instances).

Considering all the stars that we can see with just our naked eye when there is no light pollution I think that the universe is infinite. It can go on and on. There are probably alot of differant solar systems with suns like ours. It makes the most sense in my mind anyway. I suspect that there are indeed other universes that could be travelled to by spacial annomolies or something. I often wonder if there are parallel earths and universes as well. I sometimes wish that I was born or was able to travel to the future because I would hope that at some time in the future we will have figured out a way to travel the stars and find out what some of the universe is like. Sometimes this old earth seems really small. LOL

There cannot be another universe. The universe is everything that exists so there can only be one universe. Be cool to see a parrelel Universe but i doubt that would ever exist.

Isn't universe by definition like the everything in the world, solar system, galaxy and universe. Since its everything, then shouldn't there only be one universe. Yes, I know that thats a narrow point of view, but there might be parallel universes.

From what scientists have said the universe is it just is not theoreticly possible for their to another. As far as we know the universe is endless. So even if there was another universe it would be conflicting or merging with the one that is already hear. But you would tend to belief that since it is endless that they would seem to merge with eache other because otherwhys the defenition of the universe would be wrong. Also if my theory were wrong what would their be out their as a barrier to stop it from going any farther. Also why would there be a barrier their in the first place. Also what is on the other side of the barrier.

By definition, you cannot have more than one universe, the definition for universe is the body that contains everything, if there was another "universe", then what you think is a universe is not really a universe.

By definition, you cannot have more than one universe, the definition for universe is the body that contains everything, if there was another "universe", then what you think is a universe is not really a universe.

Well that is the definition of universe as we know it, but that is because we don't know for sure whether there is another universe or not. I think there very well be another universe. We don't know how much is out there and whether it continues on forever. For all we know there could be a million universes or more that just keep coming. Just to think how far out space goes is amazing. I don't think there really is a begining or and end in space.

From what scientists have said the universe is it just is not theoreticly possible for their to another. As far as we know the universe is endless. So even if there was another universe it would be conflicting or merging with the one that is already hear. But you would tend to belief that since it is endless that they would seem to merge with eache other because otherwhys the defenition of the universe would be wrong. Also if my theory were wrong what would their be out their as a barrier to stop it from going any farther. Also why would there be a barrier their in the first place. Also what is on the other side of the barrier.

I don't think of it as being a barrier, rather just an end of the range of matter, followed by an infinite void.

Well that is the definition of universe as we know it, but that is because we don't know for sure whether there is another universe or not. I think there very well be another universe. We don't know how much is out there and whether it continues on forever. For all we know there could be a million universes or more that just keep coming. Just to think how far out space goes is amazing. I don't think there really is a begining or and end in space.

That is the definitioin of the Universe as we know it, and if there was something else that ran parallel to it, or another one of it in some other form, the combination of both would either still be represented by the word "Universe," or the definition of unverse as we know it would have to be changed in order to allow such a thing to exist. He is right, as I was when I first stated this earlier in the discussion, that the definition of the word Universe allows for only 1 Universe to exist at all, period.

Keep the discussion goin' people! It's quite fun :)