xisto Community
amit nigam

Can There Be More Than One Universe?

Universe : Single or Infinite !!!!!!!!!!!  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I believe it is possible... I mean there is more than 1 galaxy so I dont see why there couldnt be more than one universe... but they say the universe is infinite never endings, so on the other hand... would there be room :) :) :);) ;) :P a question that will haunt my dreams...

I'm sorry, I'm lazy to check other posts. There will only be one Universe. The name itself suggests that it's a single 'thing'. Uni = Single, One. However, there is a possibility of an alternate universe. But I would love to think of a Multiverse. I've had quantum chemistry classes (where I almost failed), and my understanding is that universe (our universe, that is) exists as a series probabilities. There is only one universe at this probability (1 of the infinite).

I'm sorry, I'm lazy to check other posts.
There will only be one Universe. The name itself suggests that it's a single 'thing'.
Uni = Single, One.

However, there is a possibility of an alternate universe. But I would love to think of a Multiverse.

I've had quantum chemistry classes (where I almost failed), and my understanding is that universe (our universe, that is) exists as a series probabilities.

There is only one universe at this probability (1 of the infinite).

Thats a good point. When you talk about the universe, you are talking about everything else that exists. The universe is everything, so there is only one.

There is a "String Theory" that states that its is possible that there could be not one but INFINITE amount of multi verse systems.Of course this is still an extreme hypothesis but the idea is not taken off the scientific table yet. There has to be some type of Anti Universe because in order for the Big Bang Theory to be valid, there must have been Antimatter in the few milliseconds the universe was created. If there was anti matter at one time in this dimension then it must be there are other kinds of anti matter the ferociously react with matter.

Also about time travel it is written that if we travel around the event horizon of a blackhole we will reach back in time but not in this universe but our corresponding universe.

Well the way I learned it is that as you near the event horizon, for you time would be going at a normal pace, but to an observer at a safe distance the time it takes you to reach the horizon would be infinitely long. So if somehow managed to come out of the brink of singularity and return to earth, what would have seemed a 3 minute ride to you would last 100+ years for earth's spectators, in theory.

OMG. Forget wormholes, we are not in a fiction movie. I am a strong supporter of the M(embrane) theory, which states, that we live in the 11th dimention of the other multiuniverse, that is filled with ones like us. 11th dimention is 1*10^-23 of a meter long, just so you know. The theory initially evolved from the string theory by adding 1 dimention to the 10dimentional system, and thus eliminating 5 different string theories. Pretty much what happens is that al around us there are membranes that float in a sea of other membranes, and when they hit each other - a new univers is created, and the energy from the collision goes to starting the Big Bang to open the singularity. Universe can be made in a lab, but it will evolve in totally different space, not taking up our.

If it's true that the universe started from Big Bang, then it follows that there will only be 1 UNIverse. The theory states that the universe was created from a gigantic explosion. So that explosion is Point 0. The existence of an alternate universe, however, is still possible. But this doesn't mean that there are other universe in our plane of existence. I'd keep on saying that there is one universe in this probability that we are currently in. :P

If it's true that the universe started from Big Bang, then it follows that there will only be 1 UNIverse. The theory states that the universe was created from a gigantic explosion. So that explosion is Point 0.
The existence of an alternate universe, however, is still possible. But this doesn't mean that there are other universe in our plane of existence.

I'd keep on saying that there is one universe in this probability that we are currently in. :P

What about concidering parallel worlds?

I'm also one of those believers about a parallel universe probably existing, well the solar system itself is big and well we are very limited we cant travel beyond our space really, its as if we are bounded to earth in a sense for some reason probably to not discover what else could exist beyond the parameters.

The idea of more than one Universe is intriguing. I have spent a lot of time contemplating the issue, and have come to the conclusion that we attach more significance to ourselves as human beings, and Westerners in particular, than we really need to. I think we will soon discover irrefutable evidence that we are by no means alone, that the universe is boundless, and that there is only one all-encompassing universe. So, while it may seem that there is more than one universe, it appears as though one is more than enough. Besides, it's a contradiction in terms to say "more than one universe". My thought is that as we look up we see stars, solar systems, planets, galaxies, and all the other celestial bodies we've been introduced to over the years. At the same time, when we look down into the microcosm, we find atoms and molecules that make up the objects we use and cherish in this material world. At the same time, we also discover that there is no such thing as solidness. That there is more plasma than anything else. That the void of space is evident in the sub-atomic universe as well. With this being the truth, instead of being at the center of the universe, as early thinkers imagined, we may wind up being at the outer end of a table leg or a tire in someone's yard, riding on an electron orbiting around the nucleus of a rubber molecule, or the nucleus of something which in our world may be considered insignificant. Atoms and solar systems have a lot in common. They are held together by gravity. They have nuclei, and satellites. And the satellites move about them in relative independence. At the same time, their satellites are separated by similar distances in relation to their sizes. And clumps of atoms form molecules, which are akin to the galaxies formed by clumps of stars. They express themselves to the creator in similar fashion, whirling about in testimony to the tremendous energy possessed within them. Energy, which at all levels, can neither be created nor destroyed.When we look at the ring around the bathtub before we wash it, or a blade of grass growing in between the cracks in the sidewalk, we should be reminded that the pattern of life's energy is manifesting itself everywhere, in one huge and well orchestrated cosmic dance consisting of wonderfully intricate vibrations and boundless energy. There are no insignificances in God's universe. And just maybe, we are riding on an electron circling around the nucleus of a diamond molecule, or a fecal molecule. In either case, we are a part of a universe that is singular in nature and purpose, and a unitary testament to the creator and his boundless wisdom. Of course, we'll never really KNOW whether there is another universe or not. And that's what makes it even more beautiful to contemplate. Thirteen pages is hardly a beginning. Think about it.

Well, I wouldnt think it could be called universe if they found another one. They would have to make a new name for the ex universes and the new universe would be the combination of both, because universe means everything regarded as a whole. I guess I kind of sounded confusing with this last statement, but what I meant is that what we call universe at the moment would have to have another name, so that universe can be the combination of both, the actual and the newfound one. =b this is hard to explain.

The idea is getting stronger by the years, especially since the string theory was formulated. But the condition of the other universes is totally independent of our universe. No theory, mathematics or whatsoever could even start to speculate about their workings, since there is absolutely no reason for the laws of physics that rule our universe to apply to the rest of them. We can't even get the smallest of observations from any other universes, so it would be extremely far fetched to begin to speculate about their workings.Concerning the inter-universe travel, no black holes or wormholes allow anything like that, since they are heavily (if not solely) depended on this universe's physics laws.As for the time travel part (or the reverse time sequence), even this universe will probably reverse its time sequence if and when it starts shrinking. After all, what is time? Just the transition from the cause to the effect. If the uni starts shrinking, its entropy will reverse (that is the order of the universe will start to increase). This in itself will reverse one of the most fundamental physic laws (the 2nd thermodynamic law), probably resulting in reversing the cause to effect relation and thus the time sequence.

but what if instead of completely different universes what if there was parallel universes so that each decision that we make creates a parallel universe, but so there would be so many universes, and what if black holes were merely an alien device that requires so much energy that they needed to place the device in the middle of a supergiant or a blue giant, and it ultimately used up the star's resources so fast that only in a couple of billion years the star went supernova, but what if there was a second stage to the device a stage that would ultilize the power of a black hole, or even maybe generate a black hole? neutron stars maybe failed experiments.So lets take wormholes, what if they were blackholes on a smaller scale, or what if the stuff that gets squashed into a singularity returns to its original form after it goes through to the other end, or what is black holes are like traps, designed to lure things into them so whatever lives on the inside captures it.Or... it is a gateway to the heavens, in other words a gateway to another plane of existence. Imagine what would happen if the subspace wormholes from different blackholes/wormholes crossed paths? could that create a tear in the universe itself?could it be the end of the universe when wormholes are crossed? it would explain the infinite darkness.

Black holes are not gateways. Anything closing up on their center is destroyed, as it's turned into an energy-mass mush. And anyway, the energy-mass that enters the black hole could not be leaving it from someplace else, since this would empty the black hole from its mass, thus destroying it or at best averting the black hole from growing any bigger. But black holes are known to constantly become bigger and bigger up to the point where the mass loss from their event horizon due to the quantum effects becomes equal to the mass that is captured.On the other hand, wormholes are something totally different from black holes. They do not pull things in them, they are just gateways to different places/time(?) in the universe. In fact, science knows how to create wormholes, it's just that the creation of one needs extreme amounts of energy. If I remember correctly, with the methods for producing negative energy known some years ago, the creation of a wormhole 1cm long with a diameter of 1m needed the energy that 100 billion stars like our own produce in a year (or in their lifetime, I'm not sure).

Our universe is so big and we haven't explored even a millionth of a millionth of .......... part of it. We have not gone anywhere outside our own solar system.

Yet some scientists, in which there is greatest among the greats Sir Einstien also, believe that there is more than one universe in which we can go by passing through a worm hole.

It is quite an intriguing topic and once you start studying about it you go more and more deep into it.The logic behind this is, "though there are mathematical models also but i m talking here in our day to day general language", that every particle has its antiparticle and extending that logicto universe scientists conclude that there must be an antiuniverse to every universe.

Some even suggest that to every universe there must be a universe in which similar kind of things must be happening but the direction of time must be reverse, that is my anti- in the universe which will be corresponding to our universe will be born old and die as a child.

Also about time travel it is written that if we travel around the event horizon of a blackhole we will reach back in time but not in this universe but our corresponding universe.

These things quite puzzle me very much. I m posting this so that i can have views and any interesting facts on this topic which is so exciting and mind-blowing.

Do write.

Bye Pals.

looking at the word... universe... you see that 'uni' meaning one, and would therefore answer your question there could not be more than one universe.... just as there shouldnt be more than one uniform... but many institutions have different uniforms for different seasons and situations. thinking this way, as we are here to do, it seems posible that there could be different universes existing under different circumstances. its a good point to bring up how small we are, with the millionth of a millionth statement, this imediately brought to mind fractals and the mandle brought set (sp is bad i know). in that thing the guy discoverd he found a (and feel free to corect me on this as i learned about it when i was 10 or so on the discovery chanel) costant repeating patern that is naturaly occuring.

based on this i started to think that ist posible that this patter which grows, is a never ending pattern. or at least it could be, and that by the time this parttern begins to form the things we can see and interact with the patern takes too long to repeat for us to ever notice it, unless we really stop and let the pattern go on for a while.

so, hummor me a bit in my attemp to keep my newly hosted site running, lets say i am correct, this pattern get bigger and bigger as it repeats and thus we have things faaaaaar larger than ourselves. and we get things like our planet, our sun, our solar system, and the universe as we know it. but thats another part of the pattern. what im thinking is eventualy things get a bit to big for us to interpet, infact this thing could be so big that its all around us all the time but we dont even notice it because its outside of the range of our perception.

this is usualy my problem with science, that it only works withing the confines of what we know and what we know we do not know.... but theres that big section of what we dont realize we dont know.... mind boggling really.

but the intresting part is, for me, in the essence of matter, energy... in my reserch of the bible, and of eastern thought the first common link i found was in the words describing breath, spirit and energy.... now i dont mean to get all god-talk on you guys but its relevant, trust me. these three words in japanese and in the bible can all be merged into one word, in japanese and chinese its ki and chi. in the bible the greek use spiritos. when translating a part of the bible that refered to the holy spirit i saw the word spiritos was used, which means breath.... thing back to eastern thought, the human spirit can be regulated by breath.... i thought it very intresting, but the part about energy is left out of my little loop of logic, and that is because that part start of with my thoughts about atomic and hydrogen bombs... how do they work exactly? isnt it that when a atom of some sort has its components split apart it releases an inconciveable amount of destructive force? this seemed very odd to me, how could such a small thing destroy so much... then i thought of what i had learned about waves, sound, radio, light, is all the same kind of wave, and whats a wave but a mere vibration? (once again feel free to corect me where i am wrong) then something hit me...according to legend who created the earth?god right? and who has acsess to tons and tons of energy? according to the bible, god does... then i thought of the atom bomb in reverse... oh *BLEEP*!, it was like those pictures of divideing by zero on 4chan...

that was quite a bit of crazyness there, but im goign to try and tie it all back in.... with this thought: what exactly constitues a universe...to us its the seemingly infinite void above our heads which other extremely smart people can only guess at, but to a micro organisim a universe could be the size of a flower petal... even more so, why does a universe have to be physical? how do we know there arnt forms of conscieness that can exist as patterns in wave form...

oh *BLEEP*... ive never thought this before.... damn.... any one ever seen the movie "white noise"? that was some really scarry *BLEEP*... i've never looked at a static screen the same since... or radio static... its really creepy.

the concept of the movie was based on real events, of people listening very closely to static on radios and telivisions. the idea was that spirits could actualy use natural patterns, as well as not so natural patterns to communicate with people. some people are said to have actualy made contact... but this seems to me to be the... fringe of our capability to accept and understand something outside of our own exsistance paterns. to us we are born, we live, fufill the pattern and then die.

just a micro organism will do whatever the *BLEEP* it does, it will never contemplate what difficulties males in our society have in finding a mate, it will never think of what could be outside of its point of view... but the crazy thing is that we as humans can! its posible for us to look into what seems beyond our normal human functions.

call it crazy talk if you want, but thats just the thoughts that have passed through my head and into my fingers... now im going to go to sleep and forget them. sad...