xisto Community
Reaper

Wireless Electricity tranfer electricity without wires

I saw something on Discovery channel, that in Japan they have succeeded to make wireless energy transmitting, they've done some tests and charged a mobile phone with success without any wires/cables to it. The main story on that show on Discovery was Solar plants on earth where getting energy to it from space satellites and that they continue to work on it, even though there's lots of disadvantages yet.For example, how to securely connect and use that power as it could be hacked, also I don't know about how it would be safe for human health. I don't see it coming yet, but maybe in the future.. And the idea of wireless energy/electricity as you call it is quite an old idea, I remember I saw about it in some old movie about space maybe from the year 1950-60 :D

wavesvoltage conversion to electromagnetic Wireless Electricity

well I think it could not be possible by using ism bands like 2.4 gh to 10 gh...But by using the concept of  transformation of energy we can design an antena or this purpose but the fact is this it requires high power to transmitt and air would always consist o many requencies and may be radio waves present in the air with such high requencies may damge huiman nervous system so dude thats possible but in terms of only theoretical but prectical in case of research level not in commercial as you said and blue tooth is not used because it has very less data rate and short range technology.

Maybe we can use towers that recieve the wireless electricity, that help regulate the voltage and make the voltage level lower. We could probably use a set transmitter/reciever system so that nothing could be in the way.But i'd say that this is highly unlikely because it would cause major interference with electrical devices.Whats going to happen during a thunderstorm? This could contribute to an electrical storm. Think about what would happen if a criminal, or just a practival teenager seeking for fun, has access to these things? They could use it to possibly shock people, or interfere with electrical devices.

Nothing is really *impossible*Wireless ElectricityReplying to ReaperThere will always be creative minds who are up to the challenge...Do a Google News Search for "California Utility to Capture Solar Power in Space". (4/15/2009)-reply by Tony

Funnily enough,(http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/06/08/1181089277018.html)It has been achieved with this light globe from 2 meters away. I have previously heard about Nikola Tesla having something to do with wireless electricity via the ion-sphere of the earth. Something about sending electricity up to the ion-sphere by using a tower then taking it back down. I'm not sure of this but I think there was a prototype made that worked"In the late 19th century, shortly after the introduction of AC power, Nikola Tesla began development of a system for the global transmission of electrical energy without interconnecting wires. Some of his early apparatus took the form of ordinary radio transmitters, much like those used when radio began to take hold in the 1920s. Others were electrical induction apparatus used in a laboratory setting for electric lighting. The "electrodynamic inductive" wireless technique languished for more than 100 years, until 2006 when an MIT-based group revived it under the name "Witricity" [1]."an interesting quote. He had actually discovered a working method for wireless electricity but abandoned it for some reason, maybe health or danger. who knows.

Edited by caltalor (see edit history)

The idea behind this is to get some sort of wireless way to transmit electricity this would make the process easier and when it comes to people stealing wires well there would be no wires to steal. it would have to be based on a bluetooth type technology but it would have to transmit much greater distances than bluetooth can abviosly. I thinking it that there would have be a unit that could convert radio waves and those type of things into a useable form of energy i know this is probolly really way out but no one said it had to be possible to be put on here

Probably someone has provided the link already. But in case not, here is the wiki link about witricity, a portmanteau for "wireless electricity".
The concept itself is very impressive, just that it will take a lot of time for this to get implemented. I am kind of wondering about the accidents that could happen if this gets implemented... Say for example a person gets into some highly electrified zone... imagine what would happen? Interesting theories will follow. :lol:

I don't think that is possible because there would have to be converter and the waves would have to be sent to the converter and back to the thing your trying to turn on. What would power this converter a wire? Then technically there will still be wires and isn't this the purpose of a battery??? lol

I don't think that is possible because there would have to be converter and the waves would have to be sent to the converter and back to the thing your trying to turn on. What would power this converter a wire? Then technically there will still be wires and isn't this the purpose of a battery??? lol

Hmm... not to mention that it's almost the same as draining electricity to nowhere. It would probably use electricity to operate convertors too. And then we'd be wasting electricity.

You know what i think: Switch everything to solar powered energy. Sure it would cost a lot but in the long run it could benefit us all.

You know what i think: Switch everything to solar powered energy. Sure it would cost a lot but in the long run it could benefit us all.

Improve the economy (stop importing oil) and prevent the possibility of Global Warming at the same time... WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!! :lol:

One of my friends jokingly did the math behind this after reading a humor post about a lady who asked for wireless power. While EM radiation can carry energy, and so you could theoretically transmit usable power through it, it is -- as expected -- largely impractical. Even assuming perfect efficiency (no dissipation, no loss, perfect focus), the magnitude of the waves you have to send would end up EMP-ing all your electronics, messing with your health, and more. Then there is the issue of how you would collect the waves at the other end, because realistically there will be so much dissipation and absorption along the way.I think we have to wait for some other form of energy transfer to be discovered, and realistically, I'm not expecting that to become practical either. If you really want to hope for good power supply ideas, maybe your best bet is cheap room temperature superconductors someday.EDIT: You CAN power TINY devices over SMALL distances this way. My graphics tablet uses magnetic induction to power the electronics inside its pen, so that it is both wireless and betteryless. But we're talking MILLIWATTS of power rate over CENTIMETERS of distance.

Edited by Unparallelogram (see edit history)

This is indeed a god theoretical idea, but will maybe never be seen in the practical world.

I've always wondered about something - have we gotten so used to using electricity that we've stopped researching for other forms of power sources? Do they already exist right in front of our eyes? Maybe they could be wireless! I don't mean other sources which produce electricity, but entirely new sources. I'm not a science guy so I can't put that in words properly, but I hope you got the general idea!

That kind of source could get rid of the electrical wires in this wireless world and we would have cleaner cities! :(

I have heard of networking over home power systems. They definitely work, but it's hard to say how well, and I imagine realistically it's far worse interference-wise and condition-wise than just wiring your home for ethernet or even wireless lan. (Note: this was before wireless lan became popular. I saw it in a computer catalog.) Power lines, even home power, would just mess with so much in terms of interference, and not be particularly good for transmitting signal even not counting the other (power) signals that have to go over them concurrently.

You're telling a story taken from a movie... I've seen it - nothing to do with the real genius Tesla was. Please,speak about FACTS, not FANTASY.

- Anon