xisto Community
Reaper

Wireless Electricity tranfer electricity without wires

I don't thinkt his would work. the currents running throguh the air would damage electrical devices. planes, hospital etc. wouldn't be able tow rok properly because of the equipment getting damaged. It may even harm people, like an electric shock.

I don't thinkt his would work. the currents running throguh the air would damage electrical devices. planes, hospital etc. wouldn't be able tow rok properly because of the equipment getting damaged. It may even harm people, like an electric shock.

I HAVE TO SAY AGAIN!! Everyone thinks electricity has to be transmitted through the AIR! What about the Earth, It's core and it's mantle? Both have different electrical potential. You need to do more research about this subject before we say it is not feasable!

please someone explain to me how can one send electric power through the ground and receive it on the other end in the same form...i mean without wires?...doesn't it dissipate like the residual electricity from grounding plugs and stuff... :blink:

It would be very, cool. Being able to charge your palm or phone while your walking along. But there's bug problems with it as others have mentioned. How would you control the flow of electricity? What would send it, and others. Very unlikely.

Okay, there's a few problems here. First of all, the reason one cannot transfer electricity through the Earth is because electricity flows around the outside of a solid object (i.e. a wire), not through it, so the electricity would flow around the entire mantle, instead of directly through the core. This means that the electricity would have to cover a much greater surface area, requring an insane amount of amperage. In other words, it would take many times the total number of power plants there are currently built on Earth working together to produce that kind of current, and even then, it wouldn't be able to be completed in a full circuit, since the mantle would only be able to transfer electricity one direction - not two.As for there being ways to transfer electricity without wires, there is such a way - it's called lasers. Lasers, of course, are made of high-focused energy, and this energy can be focused to transfer power (NASA has thought about using this to power certain spacecraft), but once again, it's not very efficient, and if anything would block the path, that flow of electricity would be immediately cut (not to mention it could seriously injure or kill someone, depending on how powerful the laser would be).And as for using static electricity from the air to power a device, the problem is that there is not enough energy in normal air to power something that would consume that much energy, and once again, there would be no way to complete a circuit, so the energy wouldn't go anywhere.

Edited by Cerebral Stasis (see edit history)

I've had some experience working with electricity as a nuclear engineer in the US Navy and as a physics student in college. I'm not a professional EE, but I do know how electricity (as we know it) works. There are some problems with the above posts.First, one must understand that electricity is, by definition, the flow of electrons. Electrons are abundantly available as components of atoms, jumping from one molecule to another. So for electricity you need mass as a conduit. Dense metals work great for this purpose, which is why we have copper, silver and gold wiring. They hold and pass electrons with ease, and they can handle many.Because 'the air' is not so dense and made up of elements not-so-gracious to the flow of electrons, wireless electricity is little more than a pipe dream. The closest we can get is static electricity, which requires very large potentials in order to travel very short distances. Extremely impractical.Lasers are not electricty. They are composed of focused, massless light waves, not comparitively heavy electrons. They can transfer energy, but not electricity. I'm not an optics expert, so I'll leave the discussions to someone else.Electricity could be transferred through the earth's core - it's molten metal, largely. The problem is lack of a coherent conduit. To direct the flow of electrons, we'd need to be able to manipulate molten magma, thousands of degrees hot. Possible with EM fields, but those applied sciences I've yet to study.Peace,Farseed

Thank you, Farseed. I meant energy is transferred through the photos in lasers - I just didn't word it very well.As for the transfer of electricity through the core, it's true that it may be possible, since it is simply a super-hot ball of melted iron, but as I said, electricity flows on the outside of a conductor - not through it, and as such, one would need wiring to go right to the core, which obviously wouldn't work, since any wiring extending that distance would not only be impractical, it would also melt in the high temperatures of the core, thus making the whole endeavor pointless. No, at the moment, power grids are the best way to distribute electricity to homes.As for small appliances, there will probably never be a way to power a handheld device without some kind of solid conductor to transfer the electricity, but there is technology being developed for batteries that are made of metal plates with microfilaments between them, allowing for energy storage compairable to that of a chemical battery, but, obviously, without the chemicals, and they would be able to change within seconds, versus the hours required to charge a chemical battery.

I thought some more about this.Electricity as we use it requires a circuit. Electrons flow back and forth, where they start is where they end. So 'transmitting' electricity would require some method of returning the electrons via a circuit...if we use the same paradigm for electricity we have today. Note I'm careful to not say it can't be done, but just using our current model of electricity. Otherwise it's just a large electron gun that we're discussing.And if we had/have that, bet on the military keeping it for themselves some years before the populace could take advantage of it, heh.

Well, of course.

In any case, according to what we know, microwaves and lasers are really the only way to "wirelessly" transfer enough electricity to power a device, although, as has been discussed, both have major flaws that will probably prevent them from ever being used worldwide.

Besides, if one could pick up electricity anywhere, there would be no way to stop people from using it without paying, and electricity, being the big business and commodity that it is, will never be able to be free under a Free Enterprise system (which is the economic system that works best, compaired to all others, such as Communism).

You're about a century late, my friend. LONG LIVE THE TESLA-COIL. Ofcourse, it isn't exactly practical but the basic concepts are there to be worked upon.

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil for more info.

Exactly! the tesla coil was the first try for making the electric devices wireless, Nikola Tesla failed, because he was unable to make a wireless device, otherwise he discovered the high-voltage application, that is actually used in industry.

I dont really believe in a totally wireless device, i prefer to believe in organic devices that use sun power, able to save energy in cells.

Oh dude I don't think there's any probably way to transmit electricity wirelessly like that.. The whole air would be filled with so much of static that it'd severely damage any electrical devices in the vicinity.. humans would zapped every so often - and your body hair would always be standing straight..
Only possible way I think is to use electricity and generate some sort of radio waves - which on the receiving end is converted back to electricity - though, how efficient such a process will be is highly doubtful..

See unlike any kind of waves - electricity needs a potential difference at both end of the wire to flow down (or find it's path).. imagine yourself standing between two powerful +ve -ve poles kept at two sides of the room.. Now imagine turning of the power and happening to walk between those poles.. The electric arc will jump out from the +ve pole in an attempt to reach the -ve one, but finding you in between nicely grounded, it'd jump first onto you and try to reach the ground.. Lol.. ZAPPPPPPPPP!!!!

On the other hand, if one were to have a heart attack right before they turned this new wireless technology on (if they ever do), it may be easier to get the heart started again, no?

Haha, though that would be amazingly unprobable. And yes, definitely quite dangerous and uncomfortable for all others in the vicinity, and for the heart-attacked person after his/her heart starts again. =D Still, fun to think about...

The transmission of electrical energy without wires is possible and is a reality. The first patent that I'm aware of concerning this topic is US Patent No. 649,621 granted on May 15, 1900 by Nikola Tesla. Another of his patents governing the transmission of electrical current through the media is US Patent No. 787,412 granted on April 18, 1905. During Tesla's experiments in Colorado Springs in 1899-1900 he developed this technology. He was even able to light a bank of bulbs from a great distance wirelessly. While repeating Tesla's experiments on a much smaller scale, I've been able to light a low-voltage incandescent bulb from about 30 feet without wires. You can learn a great deal about wireless transmission of electrical energy at Wikipedia about the Warderclyffe Tower that was designed to both transmit communications as well as electrical power. At the present, the transmission of wireless enery to power communities is being implemented in the village of Grand-Bassin on Réunion Island, though it's only about 10kW or so. And, of course, there is a patent on an aircraft that derives its power through wireless power transmission (see US Patent No 4,955,562). In a nutshell, this is how it works: electrical energy is converted to microwave energy, beamed to a remote location, then converted back to electricty. Efficiencies of up to 90% have been achieved through many experiments (mainly Japan and Canada). So, in closing, I guess I will say "yes Virginia, there is wireless power transmission."