xisto Community
LolliPop

Last Book You Read?

The last book that i read was the highest tide, it was a interesting book, was based of marine life and tide signs. The main character is a kid and you see all the tide signs from his view.

The last book I read was the Discworld Novel by Terry Pratchet named "Going Postal". It's pretty interesting, and has a touch of humour in it, so it's not overly boring, but the humour isn't exactly super cliche either. Just right. It is in fact one of my first Discworld Novels I've read in my entire life.

well the last book i read was Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman. Not exactly the greatest book ive read but it was pretty decent. Currently reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

The last book I read was 'The Odyssey' by Homer. I had to read for my high school English class. At first, I didn't get anything. Seriously, I was clueless throughout the entire book, but toward the end, I started to understand it - I knew I had to understand it to do good on my Final. It was a really good book. I really learned some stuff about 'Human Nature' from the book and how people's actions compare to people even long ago.

The last [fiction] book I read was "Class A" by Robert Muchamore, the second in the CHERUB series about an organisation that uses children as spies. It was ... really good. One of the main themes was cocaine dealing and there was technical information as well as entertaining action and humour. All the CHERUB books (that I've read) maintain a sense of realism despite the main idea being something that could be seen as extremely farfetched.

I'm always reading more than one book at a time. So, these are my last ones, I can't remember the order:

"The Prisoner of Zelda" by Anthony Hope

"Yesterday y ma?ana" by Mario Benedetti

"Los ?ltimos d?as del Che" (Che's Last Days) by Juan Ignacio Siles del Valle

The Prisoner of Zelda is a well written adventures novel, and I read it on my cellphone on the bus trips to school last month. Also, I'm looking for reading "Rupert of Hentzau", written by the same author. I suppose is about the life of a character of the book I read.

"Yesterday y ma?ana" (Yesterday and Tomorrow) is an excellent poems book. The writer is not well known in the English-speaking world, but in the Spanish-speaking world he is considered one of Latin America's most important living writers. I'd love to leave you a piece of his poetry in this post, but it's copyrighted and, most importantly, I wouldn't dare to translate his work. Anyway, if you want me to send you some poems in Spanish, just pm me (I don't think that's against the rules, isn't it?).

Last but not least, Siles del Valle book is about the last days of the Commander Ernesto "Che" Guevara, during his activities inciting revolution in Bolivia, including his execution. The book mixes documents, press stuff, testimonials with many pieces of fiction with things that happened and some things that the author imagined. It's not a book for reference but it's fine.

Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian GrayThe Picture of Dorian Gray is considered one of the last works of classic gothic horror fiction with a strong Faustian theme. It deals with the artistic movement of the decadents, and homosexuality, both of which caused some controversy when the book was first published. However, in modern times, the book has been referred to as "one of the modern classics of Western literature."'We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.All art is quite useless.' (quote from the Preface)

hehe,this sounds familiar to me, bass and I do not like quotes books.Ali when I read Robinsone Kruso, I like it me and I was read several times ... currently reading a book of Musa Ćazim Ćatić .. this is us Bosnian writer and poet. . :)

Recently I completed "VIVEKANANDA HIS CALL TO THE NATION". Really an excellent book. Every word of

Swami Vivekananda(1863-1902) is inspiring. Really you want to know yourself after reading this book.

A sample quote of Swami Vivekananda

The history of the world is the history of a few men who had faith in themselves. That faith calls out the

divinity within. You can do anything. You fail only when you do not strive sufficiently to manifest infinite power.

As soon as a man or a nation loses faith, death comes.

Last book i read was "The Elves Of Cintra" by Terry Brooks as part of his Genesis Of Shannara series.If anyone isn't familliar with Terry his books are along the same lines as Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings in that they are set in a land with Humans, Elves, Gnomes, Trolls and Magic although there are a few twisted differences.His latest series is a prequal to the original "Sword Of Shannara" series and is reccomended to anyone who loves the fantasy genre :)

I've read several russion books about STALKER, Marketing Program: You can do it... And something else. Problem is in the lack of time so sometimes i read in metro...I do like Marten Eden by Jack London.

Last book i read - God and the State was discovered by Carlo Cafiero and ?lis?e Reclus, two prominent anarchists at the time, and close friends of Bakunin around the time of his death. The two looked tirelessly for the missing parts of the book, but had no success. They translated the book into French and distributed it as a pamphlet in Geneva in 1882. Cafiero and Reclus titled the book Dieu et l'?tat(God and the State) although Bakunin originally titled the book The Historical Sophisms of the Doctrinaire School of Communism. The book's original title was not discovered in Bakunin's diary until after Cafiero and Reclus's deaths.In 1883, the American anarchist Benjamin Tucker translated the book into English and distributed it in pamphlet form throughout Boston. He ran into many problems, however, because when Cafiero and Reclus translated the original manuscript into French, they sometimes changed words around to give the French a more literary quality, and often misread Bakunin's handwriting. A correct French translation was released in 1908, and a new English edition was released in London in 1910. In 1916, the Lithuanian-born anarchist Emma Goldman released a re-print of the 1910 London edition for the radical journal, Mother Earth. Since God and the State's first publication it has been one of Bakunin's greatest known works. It has been translated into many languages including English, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Czech, Romanian, and Yiddish.