xisto Community
football123213

Which Is Faster Broadband, Dsl Or Cable

I find them about the same.A lot would also depend onyour isp provider and also your browser.Internetexplorer slows everything down by 100 per cent. My current firefox browser(Unupdated,I'm trying tokeep it that way) is really quick so I'm getting speedy pageloading.As a matter of fact, I find cable,dsl and wireless all about the same speed. I don't notice any difference.

i think technically, cables are a lot faster than dsl.but dsl had been significantly improving and more people are using this connection, its cheaper and easier than cable..

It depends on ISP. but Cable is found to be very effective in most of the areas. as DSL uses telephone line the contention and other geographic repeater limitation needs to be taken into account. i tried both types of connections and i found cable a better option than ADSL. Some ISP do offer faster DSL in some areas but by avoiding repeaters they achieve this efficiency. so this is not possible in every case. hence if you've choice to choose between the cable and DSL. then check the customers of that ISP nearby your area and then decide which one is good and suits your requirement. also if you need to download lot of data then settle for the unlimited plans. and don't go by those ads like 2mbps, 4mbps connection cause most of the time if they are not offering unlimited data usage in plans their upload/download quota is restriction is there.

I am not sure, but I have always been using cable modem. ADSL is used by lots of my friends but it is a matter of fact that there lots of problems with a adsl from our phone company.

For me, both are the same - I can either get a package for 512kbps cable or 512kbps ADSL. It's like asking, "Which is heavier? A kilogram of iron or a kilogram of cotton? :-)"Some providers have a combo package for both the TV stations and the Internet, which means you can get a faster cable connection for the same price.Regards,N

There is no simple answer to this, but in general cable offers a faster connection for most users. As most consumers are aware, DSL speeds are affected by their distance from the phone company?s central office. The further away a user, the slower the connection. Filters and signal amplifiers are making this slowdown much less pronounced than it was in the past, but it is still a factor. Cable download speeds range from around 4 Mbps up to 16Mbps, while DSL usually cannot reach 6 Mbps, and even then only in limited areas.Cable has a much higher upper limit in bandwidth than DSL regardless of distance as the pipe the data is traveling through is physically larger and contains more fiber. It is unlikely most users will ever take full advantage of the possible speeds available due too bottlenecks that exist both on the user?s computer and the Internet in general.

I say Cable is by far way better but if you where to go for an alternative dsl is the way to go. Pricesa normal company would charge 20 Dollars Monthly for dsl Cable can go around 40+They are usually the same, they give you fast web search but, if you where to be a download freak then cable would be the way to go.

ive had them all, DIAL UP is a pain in the *** it is slow, plus you cannot use your phone and internet at the same time, scratch that option please.. plus they ripped off my family (we removed the service 5 years ago, and turns out they had been withdrawing the money everymonth from my moms creditcard!)DSL has a good speed, as well as Cable, but what i noticed is that Cable internet has an extra boost, aka sites will load faster etc, but then again, do you really want to bundled etc?in my opinion ether dsl or cable internet are goodbut i enjoyed cable better, because the simple plan had WAY better upload speeds than DSL

As many of the users pointed out above, cable is way better than DSL in terms of speed. But in some cases, DSL can match Cable speeds and in cases like this it is better to opt for the cheaper DSL. Most people these days leave the internet connection ON during the nights, downloading something or the other from torrents. DSL speeds during the night can be slow or fast, depending how many people in your neighbourhood (with connections from the same company) are doing the same thing. On the whole, if you have a heavy pocket, go for Cable, but DSL won't cheat you either.

Agreed. Cable is better. However, Dialup is the least expected to be used for an Internet Connection. We use TalkTalk broadband, and we have their Turbo service for it, and we still get a rarther crappy speed at times. However my connection since it's a Wireless one, I "sometimes" get a faster speed then my father, and he is directly connected up to our Router. ;)

I don't know about cable , but DSL is OK!I don't think that my ISP offers such a thing ,the only offer is DSL , and for truth , it's a good choice in here.

I think cable is better. It's more reliable and I remember that there's a slight difference with how fast both connection can go, with cable higher. I'm using 3G so I can't really give a credible feedback.

Anyway, CNET made a comparison between the two. Not speed specific, but Cable vs DSL in general.

You thought Bush vs. Gore in 2000 was a squeaker? Cable vs. DSL is even closer (and this time we can't blame it on hanging chads). Cable modem access may or may not be faster or easier to install than DSL--your mileage will vary, depending on where you live and a variety of other factors. But it is slightly more available and a bit less expensive, which makes it our winner by a hair. Nonetheless, if cable access isn't available in your neighborhood, DSL is a good alternative, and it's certainly a joy compared to dial-up access.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/