xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PHPtech

Paper Thin Tv Screens

It doesn't say. It appears that it has a pre-programmed image that is displayed, since there don't seem to be any wires or means of connecting the screen to a computer or device of any kind.By the way, you're out of luck; this won't be around by Christmas (it may not even be around by next Christmas).

That's insane. It even says that it's going to cost a fraction of the price as a reguar TV. I wonder how fragile something like this is. Once they're durrable and have some kind of hard drive attached to them, these things could replace textbooks. Think about carrying around one piece of paper instead of 5, 400 page textbooks.

yea you'd expect something so small and portable and so far in technology to be very expensive. And sense its so close to paper you could have like a book TV where every page is a different channel/show :P or use it for labels on products.. wouldn't it be cool to see a whole side of a product's packaging a TV where it shows you advertisement like TV paid programming.. it opens up so many posibilities.

OMG that is so cool- its amazing what technology is doing now.. but if it is so small isnt it easy to lose?

You won't have one that small you buy much bigger ones because bigger is better. Besides we already lose our other little things. Just put it in that big entertainment senter where the other TV used to be and you should always be able to find it. :P

Well, this is just a first step. As I can see it, imagine the usage for a magazine covers, news paper headlines, portable small screens (ipod, digital camera, printers, watch etc). They are now animated, playing short clips, headline scrolling across, your flyer and brochures will never be the same... and in full color! Can you imagine when this is used as a restaurant menu? You will never have to update your menu in the means of conventional Kinko?s style. All you need is a computer and an uplink. Your patrons can see the menu description along with actual steaming plate that just to dive in for.

Imagine the ad bombardment--constant flashing letters and graphics to draw your attention and, perhaps, to tune out the distraction by pulling out thin display with the complete works of Shakespeare, like an e-book.

What about for map industries? You carry a simple roll out or pull out 8x10 sheet with small GPS receiver attached. You click a button and bam! it shows your location with full color map received from satellite.

It?s just a matter of time when this will be used for your passport, identification card?the possibilities are almost limitless.

195428[/snapback]

it would be a massive step in technology

Well, that is pretty incredible. Soon they will have books stored in little deviced that are as thin as paper and who knows what else? Thenology does wonders. What I can't imagine is them fitting a Tv screen in something as small as a piece of paper. That to me is the thing that takes the cake. Watching Tv from a piece of paper. And taking it and unrolling it from you're pocket! ;) Yes, there is almost nothing they cannot do these days.And think, they could use this for so much. For spy technology, you can communicate with other spies in a territory with a small piece of paper. Maybe even cameras that can roll up. Yeah, this has possibilities.

I cant wait any longer for them to come out. Lets just get all the members of the forum and assault the siemens plant that is building them. Lol.

I cant wait any longer for them to come out. Lets just get all the members of the forum and assault the siemens plant that is building them. Lol.

Lol! And while we're at it, let's break into some secret laboratory and steal plans for a prototype speaking toilet! I just can't wait any longer!

Seriously; I don't claim to be mod, but let's try to limit the "OMG that's so kewl lolz i want that now lolz cant wait even tho i dont have any choice lolz" posts. It gets rather annoying.

this is pretty funny. it looks like a credit card. how does it get powered. by a little batery that is microscopic?(paper thin?) its really cool though. i like the idea.

I agree with maverick, what powers it? or where is it? It'll have to be pretty small.. and then that little thing will create more technology ;) Imagin sitting in class well watching a 1" tv.. lol not that great but still better than sitting in class and being bored.

Apparently a German technology giant called siemens has developed Tv Screens as thin as paper that can bend as paper does without breaking.  They also have an amazingly low production cost.  They can be used to bring to life things only imagined in science-fiction movies, and fantasy books such as harry potter.

Here is a webpage relating to this.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Posted Image

There's also this http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

And as I find more pages relating to this I learn more about them, apparently they are so cheap you can buy a square meter of super-thin TV ;) for only 49$

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Then there's the last good source. http://news.a.com.com/

This is amazing and fantastic, this really is open the way for a whole new era of technology only imagined in TV Shows and movies, the future we illustrate in our media is drawing before our eyes! ;)

195294[/snapback]

it all sounds very good but i have a question for them what would u plug it into to get the picture because surly ud need some sort of power device

According to the "Sliver Screen" article in Popular Mechanics, this technology only supports black-and-white screens at the moment (I know the image seems to show otherwise, but PopMec used the same image for their article, and I'm assuming they are better informed than we are), but the screens are run by printable batteries that are just as thin and flexible as the display.

Wow... I never imagined that technology will end up like this someday. And the thing I can't believe that it was cheaper than the conventional stuff we use now. If they managed to do stuff like that, who knows what other stuff they could do in the future... Pretty soon, the technology we've been seeing in movies or reading in books might just be a few years or now, hiding around the corner. Who knows, despite having impressive technology, they might even end up cheaper in the future since the builders might find better and cheaper materials to work with! *eye sparkles*