xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PHPtech

Paper Thin Tv Screens

These are so amazing. And there coming out in 2006! I can't wait till they are out. Maybe they will make computer screens to tack up on the wall! If so, I'm going to want one of those sweet things. And notebook computers(formerly know as laptops) really will be like a notebook! If these screens really are as thin as paper, then your computer will be a notebook with a battery. Awesome! And you've seen those really, really thin cameras. Well, thats right. They will get even thinner. Imagine trying to keep track of one of those! It will be like looking for a Post-it note, Except a lot more expensive. Can't wait!

I remember reading an article stating that this technology would not be availabe until a few years from now. It stated that it would be used with computers and laptops screens. I was not exactly sure how it would look, but I'm sure this is what they were talking about. What I want to know is are they really going to sell the technology cheap, or are they going to charge a huge amount of money and try to bleed the market dry like mac is doing with the ipods.I have been waiting for a flat screen monitor, and now I wonder if I should wait for this technology to become available.

50 bucks for a square meter?!?! I am gonna put that crap up as wallpaper then and have ally my games and stuff up all over my walls!!

i think it would be really cool tho if they started to put that stuff in magazines. For all you peoples who liek Harry POtter - it would be like the pictures of the poeple movin in the paper.

I had heard about this a while ago and there is also something related to this (or maybe its teh same technology) but its call OLED ( Organic LED) and it uses organic compounds to make a screen thin enought that it could fit inside your windsheild on your car. So you could have a pimped out HUD (heads up display for the non-military =P) that would show maps and stuff right in your windsheild. And because it was made with organic stuff it was really cheap to make... mebbe this is the same thing haha. oh well

Whatever it is I can wait until they have a screen small enuf that I can watch TV in Philosphy and have it look like i am still takin notes!

198464[/snapback]

I read something on the OLED technology too. I was wondering if it was ever going to come out. Anyways, this new paper thin technology reminds me of the movie "Minority Report," when people were reading their newspapers and actually saw motion picture inside the pages. This is craziness. I wonder how fast this world is going to advance in the coming years. First the internet, now what's next. ;)

The Popular Mechanics article said that this technology isn't going to come out until 2008, and then it will be used for labels on perscription medicine bottles. Whether it is being downplayed or not, I don't know, but I wouldn't get too excited just yet.The price of the thin-screen products will all depend on the manufacturer, msdeeva. If it's made in an Oriental country with Communism or slave/cheap labor, it probably won't cost much more than it's actual value (perhaps even less) until the Oriental company controls the market of the product, at which time prices will skyrocket, but if it's made in a Free Enterprise nation, such as the United States, the business that creates said technology will try to suck as much money out of it as they can, until other companies began trying to sell the same technology for cheaper and cheaper, at which point the prices will drop in order to create commercial competition.

This is amazing, I mean this will be the new in thing. Im guessing by 2020, those will be used as organisers, and one page newspapers. There is nothing more eco-friendly then having only one newspaper delivered to your house every five years, and Im sure that, if we recycle them, we can just replace the compinents inside them with new components andreutilize them. The human race is everr broading is knowledge of technology. People in 2020 will look back upon us and go, how did they ever live without ts "Thin Screens" and we will have tales about lifting 52' televisions that took forever to put inside the house ;) This technology is amazing.

You may be overestimating it a bit, EJay. Consider that the increase in technology is roughly linear. 2020 would be about 15 years from now. 15 years ago, there was little that didn't exist that we now think we just couldn't live without (major appliances, anyway), unless you include a powerful personal computer (but computers work in their own ballpark).

Nice technology. :DMaybe in about 10 years or so, it will become comon in the general public to own paper thin televisions, but until then, it's still not here yet. :( The plasma televisions they have now only last about 5 years before they burn out. Maximum I would say would be 10 if you're really lucky. Before new technologies come out that are paper thin, I think they first need to find new and better ways to make current and future technologies last just as long as the good old T.V.s that we had about 20 years ago. Many of them were expensive, but they sure did have a long lifespan. I'd say between 15 and 20 years! If paper-thin T.V. lasted that long at a competitive price, I would consider buying one. Until then, no thanks!! :D

As time goes on, plasma televisions eventually will become longer-lived, assuming that they can be (the technology may limit them to 5 year life spans, no matter what anyone does). As for the paper-thin stuff, one can assume that current technology will be pretty efficient come the time that something like that will finally be avaliable for everyone to use. We don't know how long these paper-thin screens will last; they may only work for a year or two.

Sony has been developing this sort of technology for years now. Its uses are endless, however sopny has only been successful in making it practical in smaller applications rather than big screens, like for inside a car and such. This is definately the next wave of television technology. One of the greatest applications for this that I saw on the discovery channel was taking the place of the big desk calanders that they make and getting rid of your monitor. It would basically be laid down like a placemat over the desk.Also, Bill Gates has been using this same technology for at least 4 years now. He has his walls covered with this material and supposedly he can walk into a room and change the color of the wall or make it show a scenery picture across the room. But I do not know for sure. I do know that once this technology is made practical that it will revolutionize America, pretty much the same way the Microwave Oven did.

WOW!!! :D All i need now is a paper thin PS3 and school would almost be fun!!! :DThe on;y problem with buying a square meter of the screen would be...IT DOESN'T COME WITH A TV!!!!it's like, $49 for the screen. you still need to put it on something.

All i need now is a paper thin PS3 and school would almost be fun!!!  :D

216495[/snapback]

Yeah then you will have to deal with the same problem plasma TVs have. After awhile images start to burn onto the screen. So then your money would be send down the drain. (Hail LCD!) Also i think your teacher/principal would notice two powercords to run everything. Sorry to be a party pooper, but it was a good idea.

The majority of what is inside a television or monitor is just the components necessary to make the screen work. If all that is needed is as thin as a piece of paper, the circuits necessary to do the rest could mostly be printed on thin circuit boards, similar to what one finds inside a keyboard, with the nonflexible components being attached to the screen, instead of directly connected to it (meaning that, at the end of the screen, there would be a small solid part that would hold the components and that the cords would come out of). It will be many, many decades before circuit boards and components can be completely and efficiently printed small enough to make a device completely paper-thin, but the concept of the screen itself being that thin does seem to be within reach.