xisto Community
swinkid

Which Operating System Is Better? Its a poll

Witch operating system is better?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not exactly virus free, some script kiddies does exist for linux. And there are some antivirus products exist as well. So it's not like it is free from virus it's just that it is more resistant to virus. And yes it is free and most of the security patches are instantly available.

I vote for Linux - it's virus-free

I would say that expert Linux users should have less problems.If you are a real Linux fan you never log in as root, you always log in as a standard user. And you hourly backup each user's file.
So, a virus has only the user's right, and can only destroy this user, file. then, you create another user and you restore your private files.
However, how many people around here do really never log in as root ? I must confess myself, that my first action is "su - root", so my Linux is exactly as virus-proof as my Windows system.

I think ubuntu and some of the other distros started to force user to be in less privileges section. They don't allow user to be in root, and when it comes to install software or some action that requires root privilleges then it asks root password. If script kiddies are executed under root login then it is equally unsecure as windows.

I'm writing in this old topic because there's no point in starting a new thread for the same topic.My vote goes to Linux. It's not exactly user-friendly, and it doesn't have excellent gaming support, and it most certainly doesn't readily support popular applications like Photoshop (although one can use WINE for this). Still, it's my favourite only because of the secure environment it offers and due to its amazing speed. If I could afford a Mac and used it for a while, maybe I would have a tough time deciding between Mac and Linux as the former offers visual appeal on top of security, but since the cost factor is high, for now Linux is my favourite. For the average user, who has no reason to login as root, Linux can be very safe and secure, and the basic malware/viruses don't execute as easily as they do in Windows. That's the best advantage of using this OS. Another factor is speed. I've been using Linux since two years and there hasn't been any decrease in speed, whereas Windows tends to become slower as time passes and the user has to resort to disk defragmentation.Had Linux supported gaming, I'm sure it would have received a lot more votes than what it has now, because other people can't argue against speed and security. Alas, gaming is a huge dream and the small efforts going on right now need to take shape before the OS starts gaining more popularity.

Windows Vista is bulky and requires a lot of overhead to run. Windows XP is more practical and easier on your hardware. If Windows 7 was in the lineup however I would have gone with Win 7, as it has the speed of Windows XP, the looks of Vista, and is quite sensible on your hardware.But that is just my opinion.

Windows Vista is bulky and requires a lot of overhead to run.

Nothing to argue about that. That's why it was a spectacular failure.

Windows XP is more practical and easier on your hardware.

When XP came out first it was highly criticized for some reasons which I can't exactly remember, but the good thing is that either the OS evolved or the users learned to adapt to it and thus made it the most memorable Windows OS ever.

If Windows 7 was in the lineup however I would have gone with Win 7, as it has the speed of Windows XP, the looks of Vista, and is quite sensible on your hardware.

Windows 7 is definitely much better than Vista in all aspects but while comparing it with XP it's doubtful whether it will be able to beat XP in all cases. Nowadays more powerful hardware is being sold at affordable prices and so the minimum configuration that we get to buy in the market is sufficient for running Windows 7 comfortably. Still many people are not leaving their XP machines behind. That's because they still feel comfortable working in their familiar environment. Windows 7 is arguably more secure than XP and Vista, although the speed issue is debatable. XP works fine on old and new hardware as well so it is good for speedy matters, and except for gamers and graphic designers, most other people aren't missing much if they don't upgrade to 7.

The ideal situation would be for more people to start realising the power of other operating systems such as Linux and Mac. XP and 7 may be maintaining Microsoft's image for now, but the fact is that if the users are careless about security, both versions of Windows can let them down and cause them to lose data. And I think this is a rare case, but I got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death in Windows 7 as well! I never expected that. So for now, all aspects considered, 7 and XP are leading the race. It's time for a change though, and people should try to show more interest in it.

I am using both windows xp and windows 7 and they are nice versions of OS. I will still swap to linux if permitted. When windows 7 comes out, i already expected hardware problems and this was MS' fault by changing the distributed core code without prior warnings to the driver manufacturers about the planned changed. This causes tons of problems which also resulted on me being nagged that I don't have a DVD Rom drive when I am installing from a DVD ROM.For speed, Windows 7 seems to be fasters but later patches makes it slow piece by piece, this slowdown seems to be normal as new patches comes out. Was hoping on my side that the slow down will stop. I still have my windows XP with me as the primary boot harddrive.*******I love linux and uses it on time critical projects and mostly to browse dev cvs. It is fast and less problem was given to me when I swap motherboard and dont want to mess with reformatting the whole partition. On windows, this will cause a total windows failure.*******If i rank everything, my ranking will be.1. Linux/Nix2. Windows XP and Mac OS3. Windows 7......99 MS DOS100 Windows Vista :)

I am using both windows xp and windows 7 and they are nice versions of OS. I will still swap to linux if permitted. When windows 7 comes out, i already expected hardware problems and this was MS' fault by changing the distributed core code without prior warnings to the driver manufacturers about the planned changed. This causes tons of problems which also resulted on me being nagged that I don't have a DVD Rom drive when I am installing from a DVD ROM.

actually we need to give some credit to microsoft for taking care of the driver compatibility problems to some extent. when vista came out the situation was really very confusing and it was at that time that i seriously started looking for alternatives to windows. thank god that i found ubuntu linux and am now fully happy with it. coming back to windows 7, it's cool that it helps users get adjusted to the change soon and there aren't many problems with the drivers. as for the speed it can get slower on older systems so people who haven't upgraded their computers in a while could find things going on very slowly indeed.

on the other hand, ubuntu linux is one of the fastest operating systems around and the latest version can boot up in 10 seconds on a decently-configured computer. besides the boot up advantage, it is also speedy in many aspects and unlike windows it doesn't slow down after a period of time. this, i feel is a very good advantage as too many programs often tend to slow down the system once in a while. so it would be good to see more people using ubuntu linux - they can try it without making any changes to their system, through a Live CD. they can experience the difference in speed and security this way. i have a friend who doesn't want to install ubuntu linux but still likes it anyway, so every time he wants to use the internet he boots off the Live CD, surfs the net and removes the cd when he's done. this may not be very convenient for all but at least its safe and fast!

.....99 MS DOS
100 Windows Vista laugh.gif

wow i'm surprised that vista ever made the list! dos was good in its day and age so that position is justified, but i think vista doesn't even need to be on the list.

I agree with the XP users, even though I'm a mac user. Vista was always one of the worst Windows though.

actually the first ever Windows is supposed to be the worst ever. vista at least sold a few million copies before people started losing interest in it. the fist Windows ever was supposedly very bad and it was only from Windows 3.0 that the product started gaining trust and value among consumers. after that only Vista has been the worst windows since then. in any case the entire Windows brand is slowly starting to go down the hill now, although it will take a few more years for the real damage to start showing.

coming back to which operating system is better, there are a few linux distros which allow the users to build their own linux distro, with select packages and features. this might be feasible for advanced users only but still it's good to have an option where we can customise each and every part of the operating system ourselves and build or remove whatever we want. such options are good for people who think they aren't getting what they want from the existing operating systems.

After spending a number of months using Mac OS X Snow Leopard on a Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch, I can say that Mac OS X Snow Leopard is one of the best operating systems. Although Microsoft Windows 7 has improved on the failures of Windows Vista through better features and user experience, Mac OS X Snow Leopard has been nothing short of amazing. Apart from its sleek user interface, it provides an excellent experience to users. Some of my favourite features of Mac OS X Snow Leopard by far have included the multi-touch gestures, especially scrolling in all directions using two fingers; Expose, a cool feature that allows you to 'see' all the windows and applications that are open and running on your mac; the drag-and-drop installation process of applications; and many others. Compared to introduction of less-than-useful feature in recent Microsoft Windows operating system, these features have been implemented by Apple effectively as a way to assist user experiences.

This topic is so old and obsolete. Can you imagine Windows 7 is not even on the poll list. There is no doubt Win 7 is one of the best win OS which ever released and is my favorite OS.

The age of the post isn't really important. The best operating system is not correctly mentioned.Unix is the best operating system, far above Windows.
Linux is one of the Unix operating systems.
And of course AIX is the best Unix port. :P

Since this topic is pretty old (from 2007), I have to press Other because in that time Windows Vista was new and Windows Seven wasn't even heard of. I'm using Windows Seven for half a year by now and I'm very satisfied with it. Most of everything, I like the transparent windows and it's features. For example, the most useful feature that I saw by now it's the "You need to change your battery" which it's actually telling me that my laptop's battery is almost passed away from the living and I found a tutorial how to check how much it was charged last time and I was stunned from the results. It was 20% (Last Full Charge 10145) from it's whole capability (Design Capacity 48840) :/ If someone uses Windows Seven and wants to check his laptop report including the battery status, here's a mini tutorial.Open the Command Prompt by writing cmd in the search of the start menu and type in “powercfg –energy”. You will get your energy-report.html in no time and it will be placed in your C:/ drive.Windows Seven it's a great operating system for anyone who has unused RAM memory like 4GB so he can enjoy it's features fully. I'm using it everywhere, on my laptop, on my PC, on my sisters laptop too and every other computers. That's my opinion, if you don't have minimum 2GB of RAM, don't even try to install it... you will be disappointed. So keep your job done on XP without any lag during working and etc. :P