xisto Community
swinkid

Which Operating System Is Better? Its a poll

Witch operating system is better?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm also with Windows XP, I don't much like the sound of Vista (is it even really needed, probably not), it has the most of everything really and it's the most widely supported at this time.

Well Vote =]

at Xisto the rule of thumb is usually a post should be at least 3 lines long.... if you don't have much to say it's okay once in a while but why don't you post your favorite OS?

mine's mac osx because it's better than linux and they both originated from UNIX but windows XP is okay but vista is terrible i think vista is actually so bad that microsoft is going to have to make alot of updates. also vista stole so much from osx.

-osx has a 3d chess board
-vista has a 3d chess board
-in osx you can change your board to wood metal marble or grass
-in vista it's wood metal slate or grass similar? no vista has slate! :P
-osx has spotlight for searching your computer
-vista has search
-osx is in the top right corner
-vista bottom left
-osx has little arrows for folders in finder
-vista has changed the color of gray and put it in their os.
-osx is not bad
-vista is bad
- please note the use of bad in both explanations!

For me it's XP or linux. I like tweaking all sorts of things and linux can do just that, although i've never used linux on a desktop pc. My only experience of linux are on remote servers.XP because of it's ease of use and game performance, easily beats vista.As i've said in nearly all of these vista/xp/other OS threads, i will only upgrade to vista when microsoft fix it.-HellFire

My favorite os is definetly windows vista. It is so stable, haven't had any issues with it so far.....and it runs so fast and smooth compared to windows xp.Also, the overal ease of use (once you get used to it), is so much better than previous versions of windows....just the sheer way things are laid out, makes finding out how to do a task easy.Yes, there is a learning curve, and you do need a computer with fairly good graphics capabilities, but other than that, it is really nice, especially with a dual core processor at work.

Voted for Windows XP!Why?1. Easy to use for newbies! and beginners.2. Majority uses it! so, you can ask anyone if you're in trouble with it.3. Almost all the applications around are designed or even re-designed to fit and work with Windows XP!Well that's the Pros! Of course it also have cons, but i like Windows XP in my own way. :P

I like Macintosh the most but I use Windows XP. I haven't tried Vista yet, but it has been getting bad reviews (probably just because it is new and still should be in the beta stage). I want to move to a Macintosh system, but I am already familur with Windows XP. I know the Macintoshes are more stable and dont get as many viruses. They also don't crash and require restarts for everything you install. One downside to Macintosh is that they do not support games and for me that is a must have in a computer. I was woundering when the new Macintosh came out that clamed to run both Windows and OS 10+ at the same time does that mean that it will run Windows files (.exe ect) on the Mac side? If so I don't see any reason to even get a new Windows computer. Mac is just better and it would run the games I play. I probably understood that clam wrong but that would be cool if it did. I am going to vote for Windows XP simply because I know it and it runs the games I like.My opinion,Sparkx

Edited by sparkx (see edit history)

Windows XP is so far the most satisfied among all the OS. Used linux and Vista too but for the same reason as many others out here, Vista is still very new and need a lot of patching and service pack. For Linux, some distro are pretty good, however you really need to know what you really want in order to choose those package that suit you best. Application wise, Linux is lack of that compare to windows. :P Anyway Windows XP are pretty good with SP2. Most of the stuff are in and comparing performance, Windows XP SP2 will definitely win Vista for now. Tons of Application for windows to play with and of course if anyone are into worm or trojan, you can use Windows XP. :P But moreover most of the university around here are using Windows XP.. Cheers

Windows Vista has probably created the single biggest opportunity for the Linux desktop to take market share

Bill Gates asleep at the wheel.Link:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2168700,00.asp

Also, check out this article about piracy:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It taks about how there is something conspicuously missing from most debate over which operating systems are better - the distortions created by the existence of pirated software. Windows, and Mac OS, are effectively free in the minds of most consumers. Most debate centered around features or stability is eclipsed by the lack of money considerations in assessing user's needs.

There are some really good points in this article. I totally agree with the idea that users don't care what OS they are running- all they want is the ability to access something (ex: youtube). Youtube is the reason they have the computer- they don't care at all about what computer it is or how it works.

I would even venture to guess that most users don't even know that youtube is a website. Don't laugh... explaining to my mom the difference between reading her email on the web and reading it in a program installed on her computer is an exercise in futility. Architecture (the difference between where a program runs, what runs it, and how efficient that system is) is completely irrelevant in the framework of "I just want to check my email". HOW it works is just something some Geeksquad tech is supposed to know. Just that it works is what most people care about.

The vast majority of people don't consider Windows to be free because they pirate it. Most poeple have never installed an OS on their computers in their entire lives. Most pople consider it free because it comes with the computer. So they never pay for it specifically. In some countries, there is no itemized bill when you get a computer that includes the price for Windows.

However, the article points out a key factor that has never been part of my paradigm when arguing for Linux. On more than one occasion when stating that "Linux is free" I have been retorted with "Windows is free too -wink wink-" which is hard argue with. But in the end it all comes down to support from developers. And you can only get support from them if you have a user base. And you get a user base by having good software... Linux has something though. A community. Nerds with a Vision. Linux will be made mainstream by the pure will of thousands of nerds, hobbyists, hackers, and geeks.

I respect Windows for the time and effort put into it, although it was in vain. Microsoft doesn't care about the community. They care about their bank accounts.

But There are many payment options for Linux, if free as in "free beer" is perceived by consumers as a drawback. Tech support, certifications, commercial distros, they all cost money. Of course computer geeks don't need to pay for tech support, their families maybe don't need either, but everyone else will happily pay if that means they won't have to sit clicking GUIs randomly until their problem is fixed (see "Windows").

And anything older than windows ME is freeware on the Microsoft side. The US government ruled that it is okay to crack and pirate (abandonware), or any software that has ceased being supported by its creator.

Many people are in the "I'd switch to Linux if it ran my games" crowd still. But as long as Windows maintains dominance, developers, stuck with tight schedules and probably little to no Linux experience, they will generally stick to Windows and DirectX.
It's just too annoying for people to jump through the WINE / Cedega hoops to get a subpar experience with the games they own. Considering that advanced Windows users don't see a blue screen of death more than once every few months, the main arguments in that article don't apply all that well to gamers.
Edited by dserban (see edit history)

At this time, the best for me is Linux.I don't agree with the options in this poll. Windows is an OS with many versions, to put 2 versions in the same poll is wrong. This way, there must be listed: Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6, and why not FreeBSD, OpenSolaris etc.Anyway, Linux was not made to be popular($$), this is only a well done OS made for smart and crazy people (like me)çBlessings!

I too voted for Linux, despite my current use of Win XP single boot. I miss my Fedora badly, but due to a hard drive issue - which compromises my entire setup if I attempt to install Linux - I have to stay with what I have. Also, I know for a fact that Fedora and Mandrake give me issues with my graphics card. If you simply wanted to know the easiest OS, I would say Windows, though it does require a certain amount of knowledge to configure it perfectly (seriously). Linux, on the other hand, is still a bit of a taboo for newcomers, though some distro's such as Ubuntu, make a switch rather easy.

I'm currently using Linux but Linux isn't the best OS, just the most popular (of the *nix type I mean). BSD performs much better. PC-BSD is a really easy to use desktop OS I've messed around with that has very simple package installation similar to Windows in the form of .pbi files (the equivalent to .exe). The standard FreeBSD ports can still be used to install packages as well. It also has a Linux compatibility layer so you can run all your favorite Linux programs which means you can also have limited support for Windows programs through Wine.

I Like Linux Best Because Of These Reasons:1: No Viruses Known2: You Can Run A Server Easily!3: Still Has Great Games For It.4: Easy To Use As They Use Some Of Linux Scripting In PHP Coding/Scripting.5: Some Versions Are Completely 100% FREE6: Great For Running Game Server's As They Don't Require A Lot Of Stuff Such As Good Amount Of RAM, Good Video Card. It's All So Expensive!7: It Doesn't Take Forever To Load As Windows Does.Well I Just Placed My Main Reasons!Now I'm Gonna Try Getting A MAC

Edited by Steven9088 (see edit history)