xisto Community
ArmTheMob

Wii Vs. Xbox 360 Vs. Ps3

Next Generation Consoles  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PC might be limited to keyboard and mouse, but to compensate, usually PC has the best hardware and graphics.The way I always looked at consoles was the advantage of having a different way to interact with the game. Not just the controller, but stuff like super scopes, dance pads, etc. provide the most unique gameplay since they offer a new way to interact with a game besides plain button input. I know not many are looking forward to the Revolution due to its weak hardware, but its gameplay looks like it'd be amazing with a gyroscope based controller.But... in terms of the choices you offered, yes, I'd agree that PC will always stay on top.

So far you can't know the true specs of the Nintendo Revolution' date=' Like the GC the console is not only incredibly small but it will more than likely be able to do as good (performance wise) as the other consoles. Nintendo has had a habit since the Super Nintendo, to price their machiene at $99.99 (Ultimatly $101 bucks) And looking at The Nintendo Game Cube, (The console that everyone said coulden't possibly have a game any where near what the other two systems have done) Completely WIPED out the compition when Resident Evil 4 was releaced for Only the GC. The graphics on it were better than any of the other consoles have made.[/quote']

Your right, no1 will know the acual specs of nintendo codename revolution, and nintendo hasnt sold all thier consoles at $99, the nintendo 64 released at $100 and the gamcube released at $299. and your right about what people said, so many things were said about gamecube not being able to play a game as good as xbox or ps2, but then resident evil 4 came out, and now nintendo is planing the release of zelda: twilight princess witch will once again, blow everyone away with just how good the gamecube is and exactly what its capable of.

The release for the GC wasn't a hudge flop like you are saying. For the cd's could hold more than most of the ps2 games. (Resident Evil 4 only came out on GC becuse the cds were cheaper and they could hold more)

This is wrong since nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata went on record that they made a mistake using the 4" disks and will be using the 8" with the revolution' date=' but with ps2 and xbox using the 8" thier games wernt nearly good enough to fill the entire disk so they added "bounus" features and all this other uneeded junk, not many people wanna know how they made they game, they just want to play it. With nintendo using the 4" they compromised the size of games they can use so they couldnt gave titles like Grand Theft Auto

The graphics were not bad on the 360' date=' and I was quite impressed. The PS3 results, I have not seen yet and expect it just to be a slight improvement on performance from the PS2 (with the added features). GameRevolution: as far as I am aware, there have been no OFFICIAL spoilers of what anything looks like except the actual console, as for this new controller, it sounds large and cumberson, I wonder how well that will go down with gaming fans.[/quote']

The graphics for 360 are not up to par in my opinion, microsoft should have done better and spent some more time dveloping insted of jumping straight into the release, and playstation3 has definetly blown me away with the graphics and the controller for revolution is an amazing feature, who would have thought of it??? really... the stupidest controller is definetly the ps3 LIKE WTF!?!? its not a steering wheel those huge handles make it look unatractive and with slip grip and it tilting up its not going to be a very comfortable controller...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

as for the xbox controller, its the same thing! nothing creative or anything, the only thing they bothered to do was make it wireless, but its discusting, its still as big as they can get definetly not the ideal controller for younger gamers

"Plus it is only $101

Does anyone think that project name and how much it costs is at all strange?"

i doubt it will be $101, i think its much to cheap for the to afford to do that. they may get mass market but its not going to happen, it s only a rumour and will probably be shot down by nintendo in spring

here are some ps3 in-game screenies

The problem with PCs is that to get graphics as good as th 360' date=' you have to buy a 2-300 processor, 1-200 in memory, 2-300 videocard, etc. The great things about consoles is that they deliver bleeding-edge-like graphics at a price affordable enough for most consumers.

I can't play Battlefield 2 or Call of Duty 2. I can barely play Age of Empires 3 with lowest settings one everything, and at that point, it kind of sucks when it still moves slowly.

To play those games, I'd have to make some expensive upgrades to my computer. Or I can go buy the 360, for 400 dollars in its strongest configuration and get very comparable graphics. This, along with titles only made for consoles, has always been the main selling point behind consoles.

360 has awesome graphics, and its hitting the market as the first of the three next-generation consoles. This is going to be a huge leg up on the market share. Remeber when dreamcast came out way before anyone else? It sold like hotcakes. Of course, it also had a much bigger lead on its competion, than the 360 will have.[/quote

wow...your completly wrong on most parts, although its a costly expenece to upgrade your computer, its worth it.... call od duty 2, battle field 2, age of empires 3 are all remarkable games and deserve to be played, and 360 graphics arnt good enough for my liking they should have done better there is no way 360 graphics will get better then pc or ps3

and dreamcast was a discrase to all consoles everywhere! every1 thought it was good just because the marketing scheme they had was perfect....but proformance was trash and titles were very limited

as for the pc vs 360, there is not chance for 360...pc will always dominate plus the pc titles are unlimited, all games that have been released for the consoles have been released for pc (ie: css, halo, ghost recon) only a select few have been released to pc, these are the copyrighted series' (zelda is one example) if its been on a console, your pretty much gaurenteed to see it on pc

Something that seems like most of you don't understand: Pricepoint for consoles is not where Sony, Microsoft, and Gamecube make their money. Not even close. Microsoft took a hit on the xbox when it launched, and sony took a hit on the recent PSPs. Stores were making 8 bucks on a system.

No, software is where the money is made. You push the console, and even take a hit, because once that system is sitting in the consumer's home, then they're buying all the games. All the GTAs, Gran Turismos, Metal Gear Solids, Halos, etc. All the killer apps are where the money is made.

this is true but they still need to have an income coming from thier consoles, they cant have any net-loss it would be pointless to release because every console they sell the more they loss. woould you sell something for $10 if it took you $12 to make it?? no! youd want some profit, its the same as resellers, you buy from the retailer for $200 you sell for $250 to get your self a good net-income so you dont go bankrupt, althought they make most of thier money in software sale, they need to make most of it in console sales as well

For those arguing over who won the second generation console war, and I see you Killer, trying to say the gamecube didn't do that bad, if you look at the number of consoles sold over the life of the generation (24m for PS2, 9.3m for Microsoft, and 7.6 for gamecube, launch of each through July2004 per NPD Group), Sony is Nintendo and Microsoft's daddy. Yeah Xbox had Halo and GC had a late-in-the-life RE4 exclusive, but those are like putting a bandaid on a hemorrhage.

nintendo also has the zelda exclusive series but they really need to release with better titles. games like animal house arnt the type of games that alot of gamers are into, its just boring... i think you are very correct on ps2 winning the second generaltion game consoles buts it was very compact and great proformance came out of it, the only thing i really didnt like was the load time, the loading was killer it was just to long for each game and when they came out with american wasteland, that was perfect with absolutly NO loading screen which was great for gamers every where

4-5 years is a long time between consoles

not really....looking at the time between other consoles, no

so right now im getting the nintendo revolution, a new pc, and i probably the ps3 but im still decideing betwen xbox and ps3

It all depends on the computer really. I mean how good it is that you're willing to spend on it. If you're going for a good desktop, then about 1000 will get you a loaded one that'll be much better than an xbox360. If you're going to a laptop, that's gonna be expensive and expect it to be over 2000 dollars if you're desperate. I'd say that if you have the money, and don't have anything to spend it on (car insurance, school, credit cards...girls/guys) Then get a computer over a console. If you're a rich guy or have no bills to pay, get both!

PC might be limited to keyboard and mouse, but to compensate, usually PC has the best hardware and graphics.

1064328440[/snapback]

PCs are not limited to Keyboard and mouse. A lot of controllers you get for consoles, come in some similar form for the PC, the more obvious one is the joystick, followed by a "pad".

It all depends on the computer really.  I mean how good it is that you're willing to spend on it.  If you're going for a good desktop, then about 1000 will get you a loaded one that'll be much better than an xbox360.  If you're going to a laptop, that's gonna be expensive and expect it to be over 2000 dollars if you're desperate.  I'd say that if you have the money, and don't have anything to spend it on (car insurance, school, credit cards...girls/guys)  Then get a computer over a console.  If you're a rich guy or have no bills to pay, get both!

1064328556[/snapback]

What do you mean it depends on the computer?? all computers at the same, just different hardware, there are also different builds "home, server, mainframe" you can spend 3k on a computer and it will do really good with games for a few years but things get better and games require more so obviously your going to need to upgrade, xbox360 is no where near better or even the same as pc

Plot, you missed my point. I can upgrade my computer for 5-600 dollars to get close to 360 graphics or I can spend 400 dollars on the 360 itself. I think you really underrate the 360. My illustration in cost difference is not about which is better, but marketshare and what the average consumer is going to do.

You are wrong about console pricing. When the systems are new, more often than not the makers are taking a hit when they wholesale to the retailers. You painted a nice little 50 dollars per unit profit scenario, but that's just not reality. The reality is that the consoles are so expensive to make when they're brand spanking new that Sony and Microsoft actually lose a little bit when they sell them to the retailers, they've admitted to it. And they can do it because they are such large companies with so much profit coming in from their other divisions that they're sustained until the profits from software come in to more than cover the loss on the hardware. Marketshare is that important because once the consoles are in the livingrooms, the people buy the software and that nets a huge profit even after subtracting the console loss. Later in the life-span though, production costs are much lower and this is no longer the case.

And retailers do make just 8 dollars per new console. At least I know the PS2's and Xboxes sitting on shelves right now were sold to the stores at 142 dollars and then they sell them for 150. That's the main reason for selling the extra warranties and all that, to improve the the profit margin. Also, gamestores will try to sell you a used copy of a game before a new. You might think they're doing you a favor by suggesting a lower priced item, but they have a much larger profit margin on used games. Usually 5-7 on new games, the same game they purchsed from some kid for a lot less than its worth (in store credit), they turn around and make a 17-20 profit on.

Yeah, the Revolution looks good, but I think Ninty's days are numbered... people just aren't buying their new methods, which i quite like... The XBox 360 isn't worth buying for anything but the new The Elder Scrolls game (i'm an RPGaholic), but I'll probably buy the XB360 next summer for TES:Oblivion... and the PS3 just looks too dumb, the controller looks like a boomerang and the console... well, just refer to this:

Posted Image

i guess i did miss your point but im afraid i still do because the average customer probabably will buy an xbox360 over upgrading thier computer, but the cost difference is based on ratio to which is better, what you get for what you pay...and my gfx are already better then xbox360 and i spend $260 on a new vid card, i may underrate but you shouldnt overrate because microsoft went into a release to soon and really craped out on graphics they arnt as good as they should be for a third generation console

because microsoft went into a release to soon and really craped out on graphics they arnt as good as they should be for a third generation console

1064328642[/snapback]

I agree, 360 could have been so much better if they had waited. I think the PS3 will fulfill that role.

[akijikan] "Plot, you missed my point. I can upgrade my computer for 5-600 dollars to get close to 360 graphics or I can spend 400 dollars on the 360 itself. I think you really underrate the 360. My illustration in cost difference is not about which is better, but marketshare and what the average consumer is going to do."5-600 dollars? Thats way to much for way to little. Right now you can buy a Gforce 7800 GT For 300 dollars. That is better than what the 360 is going to be able to do. My computer Right now has a Gforce 6800 Ultra 512 mhz. For 60 bucks. Which is still a little bit better than the 360 is going to have. [Trancewave] "PC might be limited to keyboard and mouse, but to compensate, usually PC has the best hardware and graphics.The way I always looked at consoles was the advantage of having a different way to interact with the game. Not just the controller, but stuff like super scopes, dance pads, etc. provide the most unique gameplay since they offer a new way to interact with a game besides plain button input. I know not many are looking forward to the Revolution due to its weak hardware, but its gameplay looks like it'd be amazing with a gyroscope based controller.But... in terms of the choices you offered, yes, I'd agree that PC will always stay on top."It's called PnP (Plug And Play) I have somthing that can let me put all the consoles Controllers into my computer.[saint-Jimmy]"Yeah, the Revolution looks good, but I think Ninty's days are numbered... people just aren't buying their new methods, which i quite like... The XBox 360 isn't worth buying for anything but the new The Elder Scrolls game (i'm an RPGaholic), but I'll probably buy the XB360 next summer for TES:Oblivion... and the PS3 just looks too dumb, the controller looks like a boomerang and the console... well, just refer to this:"I don't think Nintendo's days are even close to numbered. The GC in the long actually made more money than the PS2 or Xbox (right now, They still have Zelda coming out). I promous you that the Nintendo Revolution will be just that. A Revolution. About the controllers for the Xbox, They are taking Sony's old controller idea. The Ps3 controllers. They actually feel alot better than they look. And The Revolutions controllers, They are Awkward, and have a different idea, that I think will win alot of people.

5-600 dollars? Thats way to much for way to little. Right now you can buy a Gforce 7800 GT For 300 dollars. That is better than what the 360 is going to be able to do. My computer Right now has a Gforce 6800 Ultra 512 mhz. For 60 bucks. Which is still a little bit better than the 360 is going to have. I'm talking about buying a good processor, a gig of ram and a nice video card. What are you basing your assesment of how much better a particular video card is than the 360 on?

Personallly i think PS3 is the best way to go because a computer will be out of date within 6-10 months and XBox 360 will have many glitches and PS3 will have a wider range of games

@killergc didnt make more money then xbox or ps2, infact it made less then both, ps2 made the most money out of them. and what do you mean revolution controller is awquard?? its ment to fit most any hand just like the gc controller, its as easy as using a remote for your tv, the ps3 controller is bs, its the same thing, just extended handles which make it look even stupider@arkjiwe are basing our assesment on how much better you can get in comparison to price, it makes sence to upgrade your pc then to buy an xbox@dumpps3 hsa no good titles....they only have 2 good titles, GTA, and FF thats it! they may be leading in proccessor and gfx but its not worth it if they have no good titles

No, I'm asking what technical aspect is he comparing between an xbox 360 and a video card to say which is better.

My computer Right now has a Gforce 6800 Ultra 512 mhz. For 60 bucks. Which is still a little bit better than the 360 is going to have.

Right now you can buy a Gforce 7800 GT For 300 dollars. That is better than what the 360 is going to be able to do.

See, he says "better than what the 360 is going to be able to do" he is talking about the capabilities of the card, not price, and I am asking what makes him say that. What specs of the card make it better than the 360's video?

And I completely disagree with you. It does not make more sense to upgrade your PC. You get more bang for your buck if you buy a 360. Upgrading your PC to play PC games at a level comparable to the 360 you have to spend 5-600 dollars (and that's being nice, probably more in reality) to buy Memory, a Processor and Video card.

And if you say that PS3 has no good titles than you betray your poor knowledge of the gaming world. Everyone and their mother knows that sony is king when it comes to pulling in the best 3rd party titles. That's always been their strong point, and the main point for Nintendo's failure on the gamecube. Most good nintendo games are made by nintendo (with the exception of RE4) and you can't win the console war with 1st party titles alone.

PS3 has many more good titles than GTA and FF: I can't believe you would think Metal Gear Solid is not a good game. What about the upcoming Splinter Cell 4? Brothers in Arms 3 is an announced title, and look at how awesome "Earned in Blood" is. Armered Core is also been a good series and the 4th incarnation of the series is coming to PS3. Tekken is going to be on PS3. Don't forget the entire EA sports library is going to be on the PS3 (though it's not exclusive, its good). EA is also bringing the next Medal of Honor game to PS3. The Winning Eleven series is due on PS3 too.

All of those are known by the gaming world as "good titles". They may not be your cup of tea, and even I wouldn't be interested in some of them, but none the less, they serve to demonstrate the falicy of your statement.

Playstation 3

Posted Image

Xbox 360

Posted Image

Xbox 360[/u] : Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each

Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total

VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total

128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread

1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance

9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor

500MHz processor

10 MB of embedded DRAM

48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines

Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance

500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate

16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance

48 billion shader operations per second

Memory

512 MB of GDDR3 RAM

700 MHz of DDR

Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth

22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth

256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM

21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance

1 teraflop

Storage

Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive

12x dual-layer DVD-ROM

Memory Unit support starting at 64 MB

I/O

Support for up to four wireless game controllers

Three USB 2.0 ports

Two memory unit slots

Optimized for Online

Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live features with broadband service, including Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content, gamer profile for digital identity, and voice chat to talk to friends while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music

Built-in Ethernet port

Wi-Fi ready: 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g

Video camera ready

Digital Media Support

Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD

Ability to stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras and Windows XP-based PCs

Ability to rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive

Custom playlists in every game

Built-in Media Center Extender for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers

High-Definition Game Support * All games supported at 16:9, 720p, and 1080i, anti-aliasing

Standard-definition and high-definition video output supported

Audio

Multi-channel surround sound output

Supports 48KHz 16-bit audio

320 independent decompression channels

32-bit audio processing

Over 256 audio channels

System Orientation

Stands vertically or horizontally

Customizable Face Plates

Interchangeable to personalize the console

Xbox Gamer Guide:

The Xbox Gamer Guide is an entertainment gateway that instantly connects you to your games, friends, music, movies, and downloadable content. Available at a touch of the Xbox Guide Button, the Xbox Gamer Guide gives you instant access to the experiences and content you want, from the gamer card of the player that just invited you to play online to new downloadable content for the game currently running.

Personalized interface:

Xbox 360 lets you create your own unique system and experience. With interchangeable Xbox 360 Faces, it's easy to change the appearance of your console. Switch on your system and customize the look and feel of the Xbox Gamer Guide and Xbox System Guide with unique "skins." From sleek and sophisticated to fun and funky, pick the Faces and skins that show your personality.

Ring of Light and Xbox Guide Button:

Divided into four quadrants, the glowing Ring of Light and Xbox Guide Button visually connect you to your games, digital media, and the world of Xbox Live, the first global, unified online console games service. Featured on both the wireless and wired controllers, the Xbox Guide Button puts you in control of your experience. In addition to bringing up the Xbox Gamer Guide and the Xbox System Guide, the Xbox Guide Button lets you turn the system on and off without ever leaving the couch.

Xbox Live:

Xbox Live is where games and entertainment come alive, the only unified place where you can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere. And the best just got better. Connect your Xbox 360 to your broadband connection and get instant access to Xbox Live Silver. Express your digital identity through your Gamertag and gamer card, talk with others using voice chat, and access Xbox Live Marketplace-all right out of the box, at no extra cost. Upgrade to Xbox Live Gold and enter the exciting world of multiplayer online gaming. With intelligent matchmaking, access to all your achievements and statistics, video chat and video messaging, and an enormous selection of games, Xbox Live Gold delivers your competition, on your terms.

Xbox Live Marketplace:

Keep your favorite games fresh with instant access to new content. Xbox Live Marketplace is a one-stop shop to download new game trailers, demos, and episodic content, plus new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, and more. Accessible to everyone who establishes a broadband connection with their Xbox 360, Xbox Live Marketplace lets you personalize and extend your experience, on demand.

Games:

Xbox 360 redefines what games look like, sound like, feel like, and play like to engage you like never before. With Xbox 360, epic worlds are alive with detail, from thunderous skies rumbling over a mountain range to tiny blades of grass rustling together in the breeze. Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience like never before. You'll see all Xbox 360 titles at 720p resolution in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing for smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound.

Digital entertainment:

Amplify your music, photos, video, and TV. Watch progressive-scan DVD movies right out of the box. Rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive and share your latest digital pictures with friends. Make the connection, and Xbox 360 instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, digital camera, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft Windows XP.

Playstation 3 :

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

1 VMX vector unit per core

512KB L2 cache

7 x SPE @3.2GHz

7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance

Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

Main RAM: 25.6GB/s

VRAM: 22.4GB/s

RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)

SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

HDD

Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1

I/O:

USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1

SD: standard/mini x 1

CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1

Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

Bluetooth (up to 7)

USB2.0 (wired)

Wi-Fi (PSP®)

Network (over IP)

AV Output:

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI: HDMI out x 2

Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1

Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

CD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation CD-ROM

PlayStation 2 CD-ROM

CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW

SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD

DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

DVD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM

PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM

DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM

BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Personally I've always preferred playstation, which do you prefer?