xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

I don't see harm in leaving ur comp on i do it alot of nights but i guess one bad thing is it runs my parents powerbill up when i leave it on at night tho idk lol

One of the things about your CPU is that when its running it gets really hotwhen its off it gets nice a cool againas soon as it goes back on it gets hot again... anything that fluxates temperature like that all the time is gonna wear out fasterso i just leave my compy on all the timeI would rather foot the electric bill then have to go through the whole angsty process of finding a pimp new CPU and adding the thermal paste and heatsinks and all of thatbut then again i am pretty lazy

my computer is on 24/7 since i have an internet broadband connection, i have installed antivir, and it often bother me asking to deny acces to a drivero or something like that. I use bearshare to download movies software, music, games, cracks, and... so on, and i never have problems with it. about the bill, i don't know how much it consumes but i think the difference before i have an internet broadband connection is not too much, so i don't care about it, and in the mornings i enjoy the placement of having new music, movies, soft, and all that makes me happy. About the temperature, i live in a cold city, so i don't care about it too, but i think i should buy a better fancing system, so that's all, bye!

its not bad to turn on your computer 24/7 as long as it has proper fan system. I mean, your cpu of course must have a fan and besides cpu fan our casing too. If it has no fan leave it open then :ph34r:i dont think that electric bill is an issue since computer realy does not eath a lot of power, but if you connect an amplifier and a big speaker thats a different story..so its not bad leaving your computer on 24/7 :D

is leaving your computer on 24/7 good for it?

63964[/snapback]

nah i dont think so.. you get lots of viruses like i actually have right now lol =D

and its not good at all because you might lose your computer if you do that

I have my computer on most times, but only if it needs to do something, otherwise I switch it off and use energy saving settings. And with regard to energy saving, I read a statistic once, that if a population of 4 million households would not use their stand-by buttons on televisions and video recorders, it would put one nuclear power-station out of businessIt is not just the individual energy we consume, it is also what the combined effect does to the environment.So, switch off early and often. It does not harm the computer either way, but it will make the live of your grandchild, that more bearable.

It does rack up some $$$ if you leave it on. I sometimes turn it of but, then again I'll sometimes just turn the monitor and sound off. I don't think its really BAD for your computer, but I think you should give it a rest every other day.

I always leave my computer 24/7 becouse I use eMule :ph34r: Afcourse I turn it off if I go somewhere more then three days and if I lose internet conection

i really don't see why you want to leave the whole thing on while your away at school or work and stuff. I really believe that if your not using it then you shouldn't leave it on. Plus leavin it unattened and connected to the internet is not a good idea unless your running your own server.round

I'm saiyng to you, which you keeping yours laptop 24/7. It is good way. don't worry about virus something else... Your's laptop or PC becoming useful. You will see. Because my English is poor. Bye.

my computer is always on. 24 7 365. I assume that I am doing some wear and tear on the computer's power supply but those are cheap and come a dime a dozen so I am not worried in the least bit. The only thing that concerns me is that I am shortening the life of my cpu by leaving it on for so many hours at a time but then again by the time the cpu gives out on me I'll be ready to buy a new one so who cares. I also have a file server for my business that stays on all the time. I'm not worried about that either because that has a upc back up also. I really dont think you are doing that much damage by keeping it on. Like some one said before in the thread you can only really be doing damage by running the risk of getting a virus. If you arent on you cant get a virus. But if you take the proper steps you can avoid getting a virus all together. Have your virus definitions update on a schedule and do daily scheduled scans. That also goes for spyware scanners also. Dont let anyone scare you about keeping your pc on, its harmless. Unless your power bill says different. LOL

We have thousands of computers at work and they are all on 24/7 .... with no probs.The main thing to watch out for is that the processor fan can get clogged up with dust , it needs to be cleaned out more regularly if the pc is on 24/7.Another thing is screen burn in ... make sure you have a screen saver on.