xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

Wyllt: I meant to say 24/7 and not 14/7, i was tired -_-It was a new server, (Windows, NT I think) and it WAS the PSU not the CPU.It had not been restarted in about a month. And just would not start up, the circut in the PSU, some components had metled, and i have seen PSU coolers, usualy, there is a fan inside them, but not they have added a more powerful fan to teh outside, infront of the original fan.

is leaving your computer on 24/7 good for it?

63964[/snapback]

NO absolutely not it is dangerous.

i did it for two weeks and i've got 3 virus (one trojan,2 worms) on my webserver and other things!! never do that. and after that i had to buy a new ventilator and processor. because my processor wa burmed up:( it was a really good pc:(

Or... you have your own webserver hosts or something... and a good virsu scan and *BLEEP*...

hi everyone,For my experiece, i always leaving my computer on except if i want go somewhere so far. If it takes just only 24 hours, i don't off it.And my computer still good. I always keep my pc rest about 3 or 4 hours after using (on it) about 72 hours. Sometimes, when i have a project to do, my pc on 24 hours/7 days.And my friend told me that, if we always on and off pc requlary at short time can make our bill high cause of the power to start/on computer ishigh."decision is yours"

Well I can't imagine leaving your PC on all the time being good. I used to leave mine on al the time, I would hate turning it on and off even if it did only take a minute. Now I do turn it off though because of the electricy bill. if you do want to keep it on all the time though then it should be fine except your fan might blow up. -_-

I currently own 12 servers, There good & new so they dont make noise. They never get turned off-Well they use backup. Once in the summer one blew up and broke the rack, Thin caused them all to break and thousands in repairs.<True story. Infack i'm right next to them now and they stink like *hit and i can hear the clectric wires making buzzing noises.

Well i use a lap top, but i never really turn it off, i just close it and it goes into a hibernate mode... where everything shuts off, but have enough ram to notice when you touch to pad that it reactivates.So if you count that is leaving my computer on, then yeah. The only real good thing is that it runs the battery down so it fully chargers so i dont have to worry about damaging the battery...

lol my computer is in an enclosed room with the door shut most of the time and its the hottest room in the house my comp is on nearly 24/7 except when it crashes due to freezing and/or the amount of worms and viruses that Spybot S&D dosent detect..... i dont think it will catch fire but the S.M.A.R.T chips say the area near the motherboard is 115 deg F lol..BUT i have 4 fans in the computer and a fan on the ceiling on all the time because i dont want to die of heat, oh and theres a window but i put like 4 layers of hotglue on it during the florida hurricanes of '04 so its not opening...oh and i live in flroida so its hot alot outside too lol.... But i think my comp has a shutdown at certain temp thing inside it because sometimes i wake up and its off -_- heh if it DOES catch fire im gonna burn down with it its in the room next to my room X.X

I guess you could put it to sleep but i think that leaving it on all day is pretty bad for it. I shutdown my computer and when i want to use it and i turn it on.. I usually grab something unhealthy to eat and then when i come back its on.

in my cpu, the casing is different. there's the half of the casing to the right and to the left. what i did is to remove the casing in the left. so, it's half open and half close. it's summer here, so i always use the aircon. so, when i leave my computer (e.g downloading) i lock my computer (press the Windows Logo on your keyboard then press letter L) and turn off the monitor. then i point the aircon to the computer.

Well, I don't think leaving your computer on all the time is very good for it. I always leave my computer on, and my computer is heading to it's death bed. It's had the worms and viruses, it's slow, I run tons of programs, and they make it even slower. But my whole family messes around with my computer. -_- I need a new one very soon, then I'll bother to turn it off each night. :D

Leaving your PC can't be good. Everyone's considering their POV from the money side but what about the environment. Leaving it on for 10 hours more than it should can't be good :D-------------------[1] Oh BTW welcome eemylife. Have a nice stay -_- [/1]

I think there are good arguments both for and against leaving your computer on all day and all night.The argument for leaving it on: -the electronic components withing the computer will function better if they are not cooling and warming up all the time.The argument for turning it off: -leaving it on obviously uses more electricity. Even if you are not paying for it, it has its cost to the environment. That is a cost we all pay one way or another. I believe however that the monitor is the power hog.-leaving it on means the fan is running. The fan will suck in quite a bit of dust. That dust can actually insulate components causing them to heat up. More heat means shorter life span for most components. Clean out the CPU box regularly and you will avoid this danger.If you are going to turn it off, I would suggest doing so for overnight periods. I think that the start up wear and tear is too stressful to do multiple times a day.

Actually, starting up and shutting down your system a lot is much the same as starting and stopping your car engine a lot... the starter burns out faster.

Once warmed up, it's better for the electronics to stay that way.

Anyway, your computer won't die if you leave it on all the time.  And if you're worried about it starting fires, you'll find that most systems have a bios setting that allows you to have it shut down if it hits a certain temperature in the case/processor.

Worried about power? Use the power settings. Set it so the moniter turns itself off after half an hour, and the sleep function can put your PC into a low power mode without having the machine shut down.

64080[/snapback]

weeeeeeeeeeee... my G5 is LIQUID COOLED... First the liquid goes thorugh the prosessor, then it goes through a gill that passes thorugh the fans...

It is sooo cool

Besides the fact that it overheats or uses alot of electricity. If you have a loud computer. Turn if off and let it rest. lol. How can you sleep with that noise on? especially if its in your room or next to you somewhere. I turn mines off because I'm helping my parents save money and because i feel its wasting money.