xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

Hell no its bad!!!!this uses a massive amount of electricity,the parts in site the motors fans ect may ware down :D but the best thing too do isif you plan to leave it on 24/7remove unused fans to save powerreboot computer every hour to let it release built up energyand alsoremove anything that is not used and also usb remove usbs when on only plug them in when needed, monitor to go on standby every 30 mins, HDD to shut down every 1 hr so ondo this asn you computer should last longer and be as right as rain!

i never make my pc 24/7 on because there is trouble in my season. sometime i use AC in my room but there will make my bill growing fast. so i always turn off my pc's at 00.00 a.m till 06.00 a.m for rest onlyi have make my server on 24/7 always on because it used Linux and for protection my connection.

is leaving your computer on 24/7 good for it?

63964[/snapback]

why would uoi want to lease your computer on 24 hours a day anaway

that yould send your electrisity bill soaring unless it waws like a server or sommet that needed to stay on

I have a friend that just told me he didn't power off his PC for over 2 months. He hasn't even restarted it for over a week. I'm sure it kills you electricity bill (and electricy is not cheap at all), but I also heard that powering up and down isn't good at all since the hardware must get thru the shock of powering up. They say that since most of the hardware is based on silicon it's beeing destroyed every time electricity passes thru it... in other words every time when, lets say' the CPU, starts from 0v (when shut down) to 1.4v or more.On the other hand fans do have a very short life span, not to mention the hard-drive and other components...By the way... I'm using torrents a lot and I want to leave my computer on every night. What would be the best power managment option for me (my computer doesn't kill my electtricity bill... the electricity bill kills me and my computer :D )

If you are in the middle of dowloading music, movies, documents, pictures or anything alike, always remember to turn your monitor off before you go to sleep.

If you randomly leave your computer on every single night, you will have a very big electric bill, and will loose alot of money. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO TURN YOUR MONITOR OFF.

208899[/snapback]

Ehm... Nowadays almost every monitor supports power saving and/or power off done by software. More electricity is used by other set than monitor. So I think there is no need to turn monitor off, because it does it by itself.

Sometimes it stays turned for days, that's when I'm downloading something huge.In theory, nothing bad can happen to it but why would you want to keep your computer turned when you're not using it?

Sometimes it stays turned for days, that's when I'm downloading something huge.

In theory, nothing bad can happen to it but why would you want to keep your computer turned when you're not using it?

221056[/snapback]

Well i leave my computer on a lot for downloading as well, but also when I am not at my apartment I often leave it on so that I can access it through remote desktop from somewhere else if I happen to need something that only my main computer has.

Well, the pros I see from leaving ur pc on is that:1. You can run intensive programs while you sleep like SETI@home and other parallel dispersed programs.2. It saves a ton of time on boot-up. My pc takes a whole minute to boot-up and I know some that take 2 and a half minutes to get to the user profile screen!3. It actually saves on computer life. Turning on electronic equipment means that a surge of energy flows through when you start it. This short spike in voltage wears down the electronic components. They've fixed this in modern day electronics to some degree, but there's still an effect there.The cons are, of course:1. The noise of your PC on all night and all day.2. The extreme heat generated from your CPU, Graphics card, Power Supply Unit (PSU) and Hard Drive. This heat may cause your electronics to have a shorter life (if it exceeds a certain temperature).The simple steps you can take against these 2 problems are:1. If you're not gonna run many programs (i.e. just downloading something), you can adjust your computer so that your fans and hard drive spin at a lower rate (less noise).2. If you're running a lot of programs, then your PC will probably heat up. So you should make sure that you have enough internal cooling (either using fans or heatsinks) or by pointing a fan towards that computer. It also works to put the computer in an airconditioned room.3. If you're NOT downloading anything, just disconnect from the internet. The best way that I advise is to just pull the phoneline or LAN cable out of your PC. You can just stick it back in the next morning when you want to surf again.4. If you are downloading things. Use a good firewall and try to run a good anti-spyware and anti-virus program at least once a week.Here are some good programs that you can search on Google and download for free:Firewall - Kerio Personal FirewallAntiVirus - Avast Personal AntivirusAntiSpyware - Microsoft Antispyware Beta (One of the few good things that Microsoft makes).Hope that helps.Lodd

I leave my computer on all the time and the first time I turned it off was a couple days ago when I left town for 2 days...other than that I'd say my computer had been on for about 3 weeks straight. My computer is over 2 years old and it runs like it is brand new. For the most part noise is never a problem and it seems as if my fan is never on, although I know it has to be :ph34r: or else I'd be fried :blink:But hey, my computer is at the parents place, and I'm commuting this year to college classes, so they're paying the bills, unlike last year, when I paid to leave my computer on 24/7. So I have no problem with leaving it on :)

money becomes an issue in countries where the government is trying to conserve whatever and chrages high bills for exceeding a certain limit. This is done here in Singapore. would be too expensive to leave the computer on 24/7 it may just add another S$100 to your monthly bill. Why must you leave it on anyway. Unless you are downloading something like a video or your software is processing something which has to be done only when idle.

I only turn my computer on when I need him and I'll never leave my PC on when I go away from home.And because my computer is in the same room I sleep I will never leave him on when I sleep, because i can't sleep when it is turned on :blink:I don't really understand why so many people leave their PCs on, even if they aren't at home, is it because of the booting time? I can only imagine some big renderings in 3D or big downloads (legal downloads?)...

Hm..I think every thing and so does computer has a certain lifetime - if you leave it on 24/7 it will just die a bit faster...This is why i don't have it turned on all the time and also because it can be dangerous if you are not at home because it can catch a fire! I also have ti in my room where i sleep and evethough it is really silent it bothers me...So i turn it off at night and when i am not @ home!greetz

I just turn my pc off at night, at least, when I'm not download 37 Gb of stuff :blink:My pc is quiet though, I can still sleep, when it is downloading :ph34r:But, according to this thread turning the pc off ist actually bad for the hardware, right ?I will remember that! :)

Yes, I leave my computer on for 24/7. The reason behind is simple, it is my gateway to the internet. I leave it on, just as I did with my old router. Computers are designed to be used 24/7, so there isn't really any problems with that. You must have good ventilation inside the box and a sound transformer though. Get a transformer of the higher grade and your computer will be sound then. You are adviced to reboot it, as someone has mentioned, regularly however, to prevent worms attack and etc. Electricity is cheap, don't worry about that. Plus, if you download all the time, leaving the box on overight save you a lot of worries.