xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

I keep my PC turned all day but I turn it off at night so that viruses / worms don't get in. Also, leaving it on 24/7 (onmine anyway) makes it run slower in the morning.

I think if you don't need your computer and your going somewhere for a while just turn it off so it could rest. Especially if the fan is loud when your like sleeping lol. Sometimes they overheat but that's rare.

My computer is quite old now and is running on Windows ME. Now that I am on holidays I will wake up in the morning around 9:00 am and leave my PC on untill I go to bed which is normally around 2:00 am the next day. If I leave my PC on over night then when I wake up in the morning it will be going slower than your gran running in a race.

Well, my system is Windows XP, and it's been running smoothly for:

razbio sopstweni rekord u muchenju compa: 748h 1m 14s (~31.16 dana)

Without a glitch, and without overheating (and believe me, I do like it hot in my room, and cpu is oc'd), and always 100% in use, SETI@home running in background, always...

I made my Windows stable :)

As far as i know, computers are made with the idea that they could possibly be on for very long periods of time. Now the only way that it would be really bad for the computer, is ifyou are overclocking any part of it. But other than that you are in good shape!

yeh. i have mine on alot; that is, it's on more than it is off. =P i have no trouble with it, just make sure ur net protected (firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware) and u let it cool down once in a while. reseting it or giving it power naps helps alot. u can cool a pc much faster than u can heat it up, just make sure ur fans are always working and ur not over working the cpu.

for windows, it's extremely bad for your computer - every windows server should be rebooted at least once a week... for your desktop pc though, i would imagine the same ... there are so many memory leaks all over windows. hence, the famous blue screen of death ... which in fact i keep getting with my new xp system. i hate it!

the famous blue screen of death ... which in fact i keep getting with my new xp system. i hate it!

That's strange... I didn't know the blue screen of death happened anymore. I have never experienced it outside of my Pentium II CPU, 2GB HD, 32MB RAM computer running Windows 95. I acually have almost no problems with Windows XP and I've been using this same computer for... almost 5 years.
Anyways about the topic:
I leave my computer on most of the time... shut it off once in a few nights and for vacations and other such things. It doesn't seem to hurt it, and my computer has a good fan with a fan over the CPU, so I don't think it will cause too much damage.