xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

Laptops esspeshally require time to cool down unless on a flat suface were the fan can curculate and a computer is more better to leave on thecause it has mare room and a bigger fan *aswell as some people a water cooling like me :)

you see im i COMPTER ADDICT!!!!!  :)  :P  :(  :(

204269[/snapback]

It is not only to keep the air circulating it is also to keep dust out of it. I use to use it on my lap or on a blanket and it wasn?t long before it would start overheating and shutting down regardless of where it was. Later I found out that if you use can use a can of air to blow out any dust that is around the heat sink. Since then it has been working much better.

I used to turn my computer off anytime I left the house, or went to sleep (which was quite often, really.. ^^;;; )But since I've started college, and spent more time around other computer people, they've told me to leave it on more often.. because once it starts up, and gets all warmed up.. it's hard on it, to turn off and cool down, just to be started back up a few hours later..Although, certainly, you should keep it free of dust and stuff that will build up and help to overheat it, make sure all the fans work properly, and don't cover the vents.. This seems more important with labtops, since they (obviously) tend to have fans on the bottom of them, that will get covered or blocked more easily.. ^^And people worried about power/electric bills.. turn off your monitor when you're not using it.. that helps a lot. ^^;(Although turning it on and off every hour would probably be worse than leaving it on 24/7 ::)..but hey, what would I know.. :B

Well im Sure its not "GOOD" for your computer to be left on ALL the time but the question is how bad is it for it? I Personally leave my computer on all the time 24/7 (do restart it here and there do) and i have no problems. However one thing i think is key to that is that i have dial up internet so A. My ip is constantly changing and B. It often disconeccts it self it self so its harder for worms to get in there and do anything if its not on as much. So ya ive had no problems but i think if i had cable or dsl no matter how good my firewall was id turn it off.

I do have two systems and and my desktop is usually on 24/7, my notebook is not, I made it sure that after use it will be turned off, I have my important files in there so a big risk if they are on and always connected to the net.

companies do it all the time and i don't know of anyone running a server that's ever turned if off before leaving work or home. I don't really think it makes any difference at all. It may not be a great idea to leave a computer on all the time if it isn't in an airconditioned enviornment, overheating is probably you biggest problem.round

yes, on an environment that do not have airconditioning, thermal issues will most possibly appear on these 24/7 systems however this is not always the case, you just need to know on how to manage the thermal status of your system, system fans really help on this a lot.

I always shut sown before i sleep or igo to university.I dont have to pay electricity bills but i want the safety of computer and some one told me tht its not very nice idea for the health of processor.I dont know its true but atleast i like to shut down and want a fresh computer again when i start work :lol: I dont want tired computer.

is leaving your computer on 24/7 good for it?

63964[/snapback]

To me as long as your room has good moderate temperature there is no harm done. Just as long as you got electricity there is no issue. To me i leave my pc on all the time. I dont find any reason to close it cause then reboot time takes a few seconds. I find it time wasting to close your pc. There is my opinion and i think it makes alot of sense. What can really harm your computer if you have electricity and you have good temperature in your room? There is basically nothing much so... Decide against what you believe in.

I leave mine on all the time. I only unplug it all in a bad storm due to possiable lightening strike. I think of it this way the more you heat something up, and cool it off the sooner it will break. So as long as your fan is working, and you dont get hit by lightening you should be ok.

I have a schedule that goes something like this. I am awake, my computer is on at 8:00am, I use it at different times throughout the day, then, at night, I turn it off. I give it a break, and then by 8:00am it is back up and running. Sound reasonable? It is, all I do is take the time to turn it off and start it up. This computer is eight years old and it starts up like a dream. Now shutting down, I have to use the emergency shutdown button, but hey, who cares? :)

If you are in the middle of dowloading music, movies, documents, pictures or anything alike, always remember to turn your monitor off before you go to sleep.If you randomly leave your computer on every single night, you will have a very big electric bill, and will loose alot of money. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO TURN YOUR MONITOR OFF.

My computer has pretty much been on since I got it last year (save for vactions, power outages, etc.) but I usually reboot every few days to keep everything running smoothly.

I leave it on only when Im using it, or when im doing a time instensive task ie downloading stuff

Yea, same here. I only have my computer on when I'm in my room. I have a lot of music on my computer and have a set of pretty good speakers and like to listen to my music while doing work in my room. I usually never leave my computer on overnight as it tends to heat my room up quite considerably. The only time that I will leave it on is when I'm downloading a huge file off of the internet. I am under the assumption that leaving your computer on 24/7 isn't that bad for it, but why leave it on when you are not using it for anything?