xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

In fact, turning your computer on and off ever 30 minutes or even every 2 hours is bad for your computer, it's much better to lets say turn it on and leave it on if you're going just somewhere and will be back soon, after some hours.. same with restarting, restarting your computer is also affecting your hardware, do it lots of times and it will brake..Hard disks has some kind of limit, it can turn off and on, same for the motherboard, as I read it's much healthier for your PC to always be on if the temperatures on it is quite cool, I mean don't leave a computer in a middle of a game which needs lots of resources always..Same with electric simple lamp, it has a limit how much times it can be turned on and off and a limit for how long it will give light.. same with computers, even though that limit is very huge for most modern computers if you take good care of them, it's not like after 200 restarts you'll have problems.. I personally try to turn off my computer only when I go sleeping or away for some days, when I know I'll be away for more than 8 hours..Of course turning off your computer saves some energy and you'll need to pay less, so it also depends on how much money you posses, even though having a laptop consumes/safes energy, I guess same with LCD monitors, because CRT or Plasma needs more energy to work.

I leave my computer on 24/7 because I'm always downloading large files and even when I'm not, I don't want to wait for it to start up each morning. I don't think it causes an increase in electrical bills that I can't handle (I reckon it'll take quite a few computers on all the time to do that) and I don't think it causes extra harm to the computer. Sure, the fans and stuff may not last as long but when stuff stops working we just get a new one.

I haven't turn off my computer for 1 and a half years now. I only restart it and turn it off if i move it or change some part. The computer is perfectly working an non hardware part have been damaged. So i say better to leave it on. Oh, i only turn off the monitor when i'm away from my computer

Whether or not it's good to leave your PC on has changed.. I read a lot of articles before that explain how the wear and tear on the HDD used to be bad, and now it is minimised.According to more recent studies if you are gone for 30 or more minutes it is much more efficient to turn off your PC.The only exception to the rule is server hardware, but it is better suited for an "always-on" environment.