xisto Community
heavensounds

The Fastest Browser nice study has been done

i think opera and firefox are fairly the same .. but obviouslt both are way better and faster than ie .. i personally use firefox and i like it .. i tried opera but i dont see much difference between them

65958[/snapback]

I use Opera, i think its the best!

I've used IE, Netscape 7.2, Mozilla Firefox and Opera, and I say that hands-down Opera not just transfers pages the fastest, but also renders them the fastest. that means from the time a web site's HTL gets to Opera, the browser gets to work displating the page ASAP, and does it faster than anyone else.

The runners up are as follows, in order from fastest to slowest:

1. Firefox - any version

2. Netscape 7.2

3. Internet Explorer 6 (I don't have IE 7 so I can't judge it)

I use firefox because it is secure, I like the look, and most importantly it has loads of extensions.I have opera on my computer solely for testing how it renders my sites, but I will not use it because I do not like the look and it does not have all my extensions.

A few things to note:

Firefox uses the Gecko engine. It is supposed to render pages more accurately than any other browser engine, but it still can't pass the ACID2 test. the ACID2 test is a test set by the web standards project to test the accuracy of the rendering of pages by browsers. you can find it at http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ . The Gecko engine in my experience, is faster than IE's engine (called Titan i think, or Trident, or at least something beginning with T) and about as fast as the Presto engine (used by Opera). But its API allows for extensions, plugins etc like no other browser on Earth. It is also easier to release patches for. due to the way it's programmed. And because it's open source with a wide community, if you find a bug, it will be fixed extremely quickly, and you can expect to find support easily. You can also modify and distribute it, and claim it as your own. It also has many loyal fans, and many sites have been specifically designed to be best viewed in this browser. Some sites have been specifically designed to work best in Firefox (that's why some people may say it renders pages more accurately than Opera, although it probably doesn't.)

Opera, as mentioned above, uses the Presto engine (presto is italian for "fast"). It passes the ACID2 test, the second one after the KHTML engine (used by Safari and Konqueror). It's quite fast, but suffers from IE syndrome, where it waits until the majority of the web page has been loaded before displaying it. It's API does not allow for extensions as easily as Firefox does, and it's community is more narrow. And you don't get the freedom to copy, modify and distribute the browser like you do with Firefox, Konqueror and other GPL-licenced browsers. And you will have noticed it isn't as well supported either. And it doesn't have as many loyal fans as Firefox.

IE uses some engine starting with "T". It has an atrocious API, and several sites have to be specially designed for viewers to see them using IE. Because of its tight integration with Windoze, it takes a long time to release a patch, and they are usually of a much larger size than Firefox's or Opera's. Because you don't have the freedom to see its source code, you can't do anything about it either. It has a VERY small community and virtually no loyal supporters. Oh, and it fails the ACID2 test. (what a surprise).

My preference? Firefox. I just like it. Full stop.

we know opera is the fastest browser but there are so many ways to make Mozilla fast it is catching up to opera for me pages took a few seconds then after i followed a tutorial on how to make Firefox faster all my pages load in a blink. That is fast enough for me. LOL

Well, IE has tabbed browsing with its new version so that's not a reason anymore. Spyware is still a problem but is more controllable in the new version too. I still believe that even though Opera is faster than anything else, nobody really cares except the 56k cavemen guys ;)I mean, I've got a 4mbps, why would I care if it loads 500 milliseconds faster ?In my opinion, the plugin setup of Firefox wins. Not caring about the speed, you could have tons of different useful plugins that play a major role in ..real speed....Personally, I've got a myspace plugin, a youtube plugin, a gmail plugin, a ftp plugin so...why in heck would I ever want Opera ? ;)

According to the statistics taken from 3dnews.ru, around 75% of Russian, Ukrainian and other former USSR countries use opera. The rest is respectively split out between IE and Firefox.

I dont know about Opera being the fastest, but I do know(or knew) that it isn't always as reliable on different sites. This is my experience from when I used Opera(they may have fixed this since then in a newer version): I went to a foreign site with foreign letters with Opera. There I understood that Opera did not support that. Opera is norwegian and so am I. With my experience I would say that norwegians have problems with fullfilling the task(if the problem has been fixed I am sorry about my stupidity).EDIT: Sorry forgot what browser I think is fastest. I would say Firefox. IE 7 starts up slow. Firefox is also safe with not so many exploits.

Edited by Zlash (see edit history)

I looked this up on google a couple weeks ago, because Firefox has been running really slow for me lately.Apparently Opera is the fastest browser in pretty much every way. It's got a lot of cool features too.