xisto Community
heavensounds

The Fastest Browser nice study has been done

note to self:when you set up your site, test it in all the popular browsers...i have a couple of sites (1 CMS and 3 forums, actually) running and never thought of it! i have some users still on dial-up (i told them to get firefox), and i even have one who swears by opera.i agree with the fellow who said speed isn't the only thing - i still use firefox.but i may take another look at opera for the quick and dirty stuff.

I'm one of the big community, which uses Mozilla Firefox. With Fasterfox addon, and a little touch in the about:config, I think Firefox is the fastest browser on the Earth. I don't like Opera, couse it is much more resource eating. Also it doesn't have the great addons like "Adblock Plus", "Video Downloader" etc :)

I don't like Opera, couse it is much more resource eating. Also it doesn't have the great addons like "Adblock Plus", "Video Downloader" etc :P

Its not really eating that much ressources. Usually about 10 mb ram, if I remember right (at least less than IE) and I think your ram will survive that. I dont actually know what Adblock Plus is, but Opera has a popup blocker and a option to block specific images from websites...

For Windows, I’ve used Firefox, IE and Opera... I now only use Opera. IE is the crappiest browser I’ve ever used and I look down upon anyone who thinks otherwise, honestly the only reason i use Microsoft products is because allot of the games I play require XP. If not for that requirement I’d stick with Linux instead of just having Linux on one of my PCs. Microsoft is CRAP!!!! It is buggy overly, accessible for viruses and is not exactly user friendly.

Its not really eating that much ressources. Usually about 10 mb ram, if I remember right (at least less than IE) and I think your ram will survive that. I dont actually know what Adblock Plus is, but Opera has a popup blocker and a option to block specific images from websites...

Yes, you could block the images you don't like to see, but you could never block all images :P That is what Adblock Plus is for - idea is to block all the adverts on the pages. And it has effect! I'm using FiltersetG updater, which keeps it's filters up to date. Also the default Adblock filters has this function. Here is a link to them for more information:
Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus Filterset.G Updater
Edited by ZaM0 (see edit history)

Opera may be the fastest browser but i believe that for fuctionality and ease of use you should go with mozilla. When i first switched from ie to firefox mozilla i was shocked. The only reason i would you opera is for my mobile phone. It is a light weight package and it is easy to use on mobile devices. I don't need any extra plugins like I would for my desktop. so it is perfect.

Try the Safary for Windows, it's really really fast. But I don't really use it.After that comes Firefox, wich beats IE's butt all over. Also try Flock.IE is the worst explorer because it's so vulnerable to ads and such. Firefox has a lot more protection, trust my words

I use Firefox. Its fast, secure and there are many addons available which makes browsing fun. I believe firefox is used by majority of the internet users nowadays.

I prefer firefox to IE. They're the two browsers that I've tried really.Firefox is faster and the addons that you can get are really really awesome!I still can't convince my family to stop using internet explorer though.

Currently, the fastest of the browsers (for Windows and Mac at least) is Safari 3, then comes very next Opera, and Firefox, IE is not bad though.Safari 3 is the king of the speed (without any other plugin/help) and loads the pages VERY quickly.Firefox is one of the most mature and feature enable browsers.Opera is nice, and has some really impressing features.You choose :rolleyes:, try them all before making a judge.

In general the browser speed ranks usually end up looking something like this:

1. KHTML/WebKit (Safari, Konqueror, Swift, etc.)

2. Opera

3. Triton (Internet Explorer series)

4. Gecko (Firefox, Dillo, K-Meleon)

It's worth noting that that the ranks for rendering accuracy are quite different, looking something like this:

1. Opera

2. Gecko

3. KHTML/WebKit (the difference between it and Opera is closing very fast, however)

4. Triton

If Triton was put inside of a secure browser, and they patched up the rendering problems it has, it would be a very good engine.

I myself use Firefox, but it's a bit slow.

I use Opera, Firefox and IE7. Mainly Firefox, but when it slows down (on certain pages, and sometimes the irritating 50% memory issue) I'll switch to Opera...and then when the page doesn't render properly (yes, I'm looking at you, Launchcast...) I'll use IE. 'Course, I test pages in all 3 :rolleyes:

The thing about Opera is that it's an idealistic browser - it's great in that it's standards compliant, but unfortunately the majority of the web still isn't.

I'm undecided about FF...it is awesome, but I find that there is no excuse for the large memory usage it has at times. Yes, I've read about fixes, but the average end-user doesnt want to mess around with about:config workarounds. Yes, I know that much of the bad press is due to plugins, but I think weve got to accept that this is an issue with Firefoxnot plugins.

I feel optimistic, though. And when Firefox 3 comes out of beta, I will be in the queue, hoping that the Firefox team have listened to their users (they are fully aware of the issue!). Course, since it is free, theyd be well within their rights to tell me to go sit on a pokey bit of wood.

Until the web is more standards-compliant (*cough* likely *cough*), or until the FF memory usage is fixed, I guess IE will have a place in my quicklinks. More's the pity.

I use Opera, Firefox and IE7. Mainly Firefox, but when it slows down (on certain pages, and sometimes the irritating 50% memory issue) I'll switch to Opera...and then when the page doesn't render properly (yes, I'm looking at you, Launchcast...) I'll use IE. 'Course, I test pages in all 3 :rolleyes:
The thing about Opera is that it's an idealistic browser - it's great in that it's standards compliant, but unfortunately the majority of the web still isn't.

I'm undecided about FF...it is awesome, but I find that there is no excuse for the large memory usage it has at times. Yes, I've read about fixes, but the average end-user doesn't want to mess around with about:config workarounds. Yes, I know that much of the bad press is due to plugins, but I think we've got to accept that this is an issue with Firefoxnot plugins.

I feel optimistic, though. And when Firefox 3 comes out of beta, I will be in the queue, hoping that the Firefox team have listened to their users (they are fully aware of the issue!). 'Course, since it is free, they'd be well within their rights to tell me to go sit on a pokey bit of wood.

Until the web is more standards-compliant (*cough* likely *cough*), or until the FF memory usage is fixed, I guess IE will have a place in my quicklinks. More's the pity.

There are plenty of other Gecko (the rendering engine that Firefox uses) based browsers around. Perhaps you should take a look at K-Meleon and some of the others. They don't have the memory problems that Firefox has.