xisto Community
RoKeR

1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

1TB is lot to me and we are dicussing 1PTB which is huge. I think for next year even 1-2 TB is enough for me. I don't think i'll manage to reach 1PTB range for myself. In fact unless i download from all the torrents and kindle sites then i guess i don't need this much big space. LOL.This is huge and i think perhaps we are not even ready for this much space. Cost is also too high so yes it takes some time to get in running in commercial market.

What are the typical speeds achieved with the cable. Wait are you talking about like at Cat5e/6 crossover cable? Or you you talking about them premade data transfer cables which come in a retail box with some sort of wizard copying software?
Levimage

Well back in the day I probably would have recommended a CAT5 twister pair cable, it has speeds of up to 100mb/s and would be the most cost efficient (seeing as the signal would start to degrade on a cable over 500m in length). However today with the low cost of fibre optic cables I would recommend using and ethernet cross-over cable. The ethernet crossover is basically just a standard ethernet cable however at one end the connections inside are connected the other way around so it is not mirrored enabling data transfer from one end to the other. It used to be you could only get a fibre optic crossover cable if you made it yourself (by opening the cable jacket and manually crossing over the wires) however there are companys out there that manufacture and sell them now so it saves time and work. With fibre optic cable you are really only limited to the memory and buffer size of both computers connected then, unless you have some kind of supercomputer.

Copying from hard drive to external hard drive for me is quite fast, I get about 30-40 MB/s, but copying though Lan into the homeserver is a bit slower, I think I don't get more speed than 10 MB/s and if I am on wireless connection to it, I can't get more than 2-3 MB/s

Obviously with wireless your signal degredation would be much higher, however when working with a LAN through a hub or router you must remember you are limited to the amount of onboard memory the router has. So 8mb memory would result in 7.5mb/s-7.8mb/s (or 8.1mb/s if you are lucky). With data transfer speeds of 30mb/s-40mb/s though I don't think you would have any problems with waiting times lol what kind of connection are you using to get those kind of speeds? I know it's possible with a CAT5 or fibre optic, even eSATA (which is going to revolutionise data transfer in the future, just watch) but I've never heard of standard USB and USB2.0 transferring at those speeds. In theory USB 2.0 can reach speeds of 35mb/s to 40mb/s but in practice many machines are incapable of providing enough power to the USB drive to support that data transfer rate. Mind you I'm slowly becoming out of date with my hardware, it's moving so fast nowadays it's getting hard to keep up without falling behind in other areas. I remember when I thought USB was the pinnacle of hardware development lol

This is huge and i think perhaps we are not even ready for this much space. Cost is also too high so yes it takes some time to get in running in commercial market.

Speak for yourself lol I prefer to rip all my DVD's to my server so I can stream them anyway in my house. Now that can take up a hell of a lot of space and it is space I don't have.

My DVD collection comprises of over 200 movies, no BR or HDDVD mind you. Let's say 50% are DVD5 around 4GB in size and the other 50% are DVD9 7GB in size (average), 200 movies would be 1,100gb.

Next we add together all my complete sets of series, Deep Space 9, Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, Voyager, 24, That 70's Show, Sopranos, The Wire, and many more. You can imagine the storage space required to store all that data. I'm not going to calculate it either as it would take me all day lol

Many people would see this as pointless, if you own the DVD's then why not just watch them? Well it's all about ease of use. I have devices hooked up to all the televisions in my house capable of streaming all these without the need to dig out the discs and swap them around etc. Just a few clicks and we're away. Also I can watch the same movie on more than one television at the same time. Not to mention my capability to play music all over the house, even out in the garden on my outdoor speakers.

With a 1PB driver, I could seriously begin expanding my collection and finally get around to putting all films and series on to my server. Right now if I want to add more, I first have to get rid of some as I'm limited to a maximum of 500gb, and with all my music on there already more space is desperately required but I simply can't afford it right now.

Hey that's what I want to do. Get something going so I can house all kinds of media on a makeshift server or fast computer. But really I would like an external enclosurer with a FAT harddrive like say 2-4TB on a regular sized hard drive or a 1-2TB on a laptop drive enclosure. I'd like that device to be able to have internet connectivity, bluetooth for keyboard/trackpad combo, a wireless remote, and of course an HDMI connectors with the processing power to play ripped Blue Ray.Let me know if you found a cost effective solution or anything in the open source end. Well that's on my mind, and I would like to get something up before things start cooling down for winter in the states.levimage :)

Wow. One Terabyte is a lot of space for me but 1.2 Petabyte is just unnecessary. However, I have a friend who ran out of space on his 1TB external hard drive. Granted, he had mostly tv shows, movies, and games on it, it was still not enough. The cost of the hard drive is quite cheap in my opinion considering it can hold so much. I would only buy it if I had an immense amount of data to store.

One petabyte is an insane amount of space. I also want to point out that its been 4, almost 5 years now and I haven't seen a 1 petabyte harddrive anywhere near $750 :) Anyways, it's pretty useless at the moment right now since we do not need anywhere near that much space. Let's see, the time it takes to download a petabyte of data from a standard T1 connection would take about 65 consecutive years to download. Maybe a few years from now, there will be a use for a petabyte harddrive but certainly now is not the time for them.Actually, I believe that there will be very few uses for a petabyte harddrive for now. I DO believe that there are many uses for companies nowadays. Google processes about 24 petabytes of data per day and many other companies like Valve Steam and Blizzard use this type of data storage to maintain their games/software.

I guess 1 Petabyte is good for server, to have a lot of storage, but the server also needs a reliable storage and a lot of RPM, due to it needs to read and write a lot, so I guess it's much better to have a lot of hard drives with big RPM than one big hard drive, due to the bigger the storage, the smaller RPM it usually has.As I know there is no standalone petabyte hard drive yet? The biggest I know is 3 TB, you can buy it as a standalone hard drive for yourself.. I guess there could be much bigger ones or usually as on servers, they are connected together.

I have noticed that the computer hardware trends have not been going upward in terms of computer memory, but the hard disk drive capacities have had some increase. Most of the mainstream laptops come with 4GB of memory, which is about the same as a computer from about four years ago. Hard drive capacities were at about 500GB back then and they are at about 500-750GB right now, but that is not much of an increase. Processing capacities have got much better though, with video conversion time dropping by at least half so if you do have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor from back in the day and compare them to the Core i5 second generation processors, there's a whole lot of difference in terms of performance. Graphics adapters are getting cheaper too, with an NVidia available in a mainstream laptop for only slightly more than one that comes with integrated graphics.I wonder if we will see petabyte storage in notebook computers any time soon. Computer manufacturers are still dealing with getting notebook computers to a terabyte without increasing the price tag beyond the mainstream computers.

im getting one tommorow

Really? You are getting a one-petabyte disk tomorrow? You lucky man. You have a lot of money, a lot of electrical power for the disk and for the associated cooling system. May I borrow some terabytes form your petabyte disk?

Yeah, that sound great! But, is $750 a price that's too low to be true. :)

750 leaving his hands at the store well be paying 2 grand lol

$750 per hard drive, and some thousands hard drives inside the b

750 leaving his hands at the store well be paying 2 grand lol

750 per hard drive, and several thousands hard drives, a non-negligible amount of money though.