xisto Community
RoKeR

1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

Man That hard drive has a lot of space. I'd definitely hand over 750$ or even 1000$ for a hard drive with that much crazy space. Even though I would probably never ever need it all of the space on the hard drive. You could make a file of every movie, game, and music you wanted on it.Now its crazy how there's such advances in technology all of the time. People always find ways to use up space on computers and now this comes out. What will be the next big hog of computer space. Its also great how you can put every file you would need on a website on it for storage and backups.

I have a 6 terabyte raid in my media centre and 5 of those are full, things like TV and DVD's soon add up and they take a lot of space, incidentally that is my entire music, dvd, tv, family home movies and pictures all jammed onto it and lets just say, backups are a *****. I could see a use for 3 of those disks in my household, 1 for data and 2 for image backups, you can never be too save when it comes to making backups.

Good size storage, what about firmware and estimating about 400TB for master boot record...What a waist

formating's gonna be a b*tch or imagen  a full drive defrag or virus scan...LOL

-reply by I Man

i want a 1.2 pb ssd or 1.2 petabyte solid state flash drive1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

hi there why  I  want a  1.2  petabyte  solid  ste  flash  drive  or ssd  over 1.2 petabyte  hard drive  flash  has  faster read  right  speeds  soo  you  can  have  lighting  fast  acess  too  your  1.2  petabytes of  storage  hard  drives  would  take  forever  even  at  20,000  rpms  only  thing  laser  hard  drives  have  160 terabtes  per second  read  write  but  not  on  the  market  if  you  have  1.2  petabyes  or  larger  you  need  at  leat  a  minum  1  terabyte  per  second  read  write  speeds  soo laser  hard  drives  or  fast  ssd  the fastest  corpeate  ssd  on  the  market  has  a  1.2  terabyte  read  write  speeds  not  for  consumers 

-reply by james braselton

Just enough!1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

Computer users are never satisfied. 1.2 petabyte may just be adequate in the future. But today, this is insane, you may spend your lifetime filling the space of your hard drive. If you want, you can back up the whole internet.

-reply by reygood

1 petabyte drive, I can see that happening in 10 years1.2 Petabyte Harddisk

I can see the result of this easily. 

Windows 2020 minimum requirements:

• 500TB for base install

• 12 core intel xeon processor

• 48GB system memory

• 8gb video ram

• 50GB/s ethernet

• monitor capable of 4k resoloution (4096 x 2160)

-reply by vrjake81

Now it looks so awesome, but useless. Nobody really needs something that big, at least not for personal use. On the other hand, who knows what kind of systems and files we will have in the future!

A 3.5" disk that can hold that amount of data would make massive leaps forward for multimedia. The quality of our movies was greatly improved with the invention of HD, however that medium was not available to purchase in shops until the creation of Blue Ray and HD DVD's because standard DVD's were not capable of storing that much data.

There are many things which are limited by space, people reduce the size of their applications and media formats so they will be available to more people. An operating system isn't usually more than 5-15gb because for some people they don't have a large enough hard disk for anything else. Just imagine though the type of operating systems that would become available if the industry standard for hard disks becomes even 0.5pb. The computers with a disk that size in it could probably be used to run your own house with state of the art artificial intelligence.

I use to tease my friend who had a karaoke business with GB or GBs of music. I usta say when we use to integrate another 5-10 GB of music into their existing database, and make a backup only to back that up to two more 1 terabyte drives. I usta say, "Yeah my grandma need a terabyte. She's about due for one."He just use to laugh at me and take a shot rum. We'd do other things - drink, cook out, shoot-the-**** - while waiting for things backup. Sometimes the backup would say USB to USB... 23 more hours to completion. It turns out it was a Vista patch we didn't have. Oh well, it put more money in my pocket and Crown Royal in my liver.So if you backups are taking a long time, you should look into service packs, interface, bus, and drivers patches for you OS. Trust me it helps.Levimage :)

Edited by levimage (see edit history)

My preferred method of transfer is through a standard ethernet routing hub, 8mb flash memory means I can usually transfer around 7.5mbps-7.8mbps (megabytes per second). So transferring around 10gb of data would take around 22 mins, then you would back it up on the target system instead of transferring all of that data over again saving even more time.USB transfers aren't recommended for extremely large amounts of data, even with usb 2.0 which is why I will always prefer network transfers instead of removable data devices. I know you can buy 500gb drives with an ide to usb cable and fancy little case however you will not find many professionals using these unless they aren't expecting to transfer much data at a time. If they were expecting large data transfers then they would probably use a network drive instead.I suppose you could use direct computer links using a cross over cable for faster speeds, but that would be FAR too easy lol

Edited by 8ennett (see edit history)

USB transfers aren't recommended for extremely large amounts of data, even with usb 2.0 which is why I will always prefer network transfers instead of removable data devices. I know you can buy 500gb drives with an ide to usb cable and fancy little case however you will not find many professionals using these unless they aren't expecting to transfer much data at a time. If they were expecting large data transfers then they would probably use a network drive instead.

Yeah that's true. Upcoming technologies to look into are eSata (external sata), USB3.0, and network drives which have more options that just USB. Like networking features. Sure there are some Wireless Routers with USB ports, but then again you are still limited to you wireless connection setup and the USB Bus.

It just like when I use to ghost drive images, it was always more effective to do it over the network. Kind of hassle getting ndis and dos drivers for the boot floppies. So I guess, things are probably different nowdays. But yeah, I use to like how you could broadcast hard drive images to over +25 PC's on the network at once! I'm sure you can still do that, copy whole drive at less than 10 minutes - provided that you boot into a live cd, have software, and open up all the external housings so you can connect all the drives to your pc's SATA or IDE buses.

Another option would be just make you own external drive. Get an enclosure with SATA connections and get a good quality sata drive like a 2 terabyte drive. And copy all you data over in Windows. I'm pretty sure if you are in an x64 bit environment, the data transfer speeds might be more better.

I suppose you could use direct computer links using a cross over cable for faster speeds, but that would be FAR too easy lol

What are the typical speeds achieved with the cable. Wait are you talking about like at Cat5e/6 crossover cable? Or you you talking about them premade data transfer cables which come in a retail box with some sort of wizard copying software?
Levimage
Edited by levimage (see edit history)

1.2 Petabyte is a lot, you can store lots of things.. I personally have a laptop with 320 GB of space, external USB2 harddrive 640 GB and a homeserver with 500 GB and it really enough for me, I usually don't have any problem with storage, the external hardrive has a backup directory where I have files which are available on other storages too, just for safety if some of hard drives will "burn" :)Copying from hard drive to external hard drive for me is quite fast, I get about 30-40 MB/s, but copying though Lan into the homeserver is a bit slower, I think I don't get more speed than 10 MB/s and if I am on wireless connection to it, I can't get more than 2-3 MB/sBut the home server has an USB slot, which you can use to connect the external hard drive and lets say copy what you need as it has linux inside it which you can control from another computer having a display.I remember, when we needed to change the size of the partitions in our homeserver for the linux partition to be a bit bigger, we copied all the 450 GB through Lan to the external hard drive, it took all the evening and all night :D but the next time we did something similar to change the file system, we connected external hard drive and it took only one evening to copy everything.New computers come with USB3, but I don't really have any devices supporting USB3 and for me for now it enough to have USB2 :) even thouhg I saw benchmarks of USB3, it's amazing :D