xisto Community
teartrack_sos

Who Is Your Favourite Free Host? whats your fav free host?

What is your fav free webhosting site?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This question is indeed a very simple question with a simple answer. :unsure: Xisto indefinitely. Now, I have tried many of the above listed hosts:

Geocities -- It was my friends who recommended I try this, so I did. At first, I didn't think the ads were that bad, mainly because I thought that since I was getting a service for free, a couple of ads were okay. But as time went on, I started getting annoyed, so I ended up changing, again because of recommendations from friends.

Freewebs -- This time my friends pushed me to Freewebs, and I truly thought they had no ads. I started working on my site--their features weren't horrible (at the time), they, after all, had a text editor. Then I started uploading images and the horror began. You could only upload one image at a time, the Multiple File Uploader apparently cose money. Then, after trying so hard to upload plenty of images, I found out there was a file size limit! That really got on my nerves, and I started Googling for new sites.

biz.ly -- I Googled and got co.nr, which told me they didn't offer hosting services and recommended me to biz.ly. They horrible thing about biz.ly--they only offered 20MB of space! Eventually I blew that ground rule and decided I needed a new host.

50webs.com -- They weren't quite that bad, though it's true that they lack a page editor. (But I didn't really worry back then because I rarely used the page editors. I just wished 50webs had a file overwrite button so I didn't have to delete everything and then upload). The thing that really bugged me about 50webs was the fact that they had no support for PHP. I badly needed to move. (Well, I do have a site there still hosted that uses no PHP...of which 50webs is suitable for that site...)

And finally, Xisto...

I have to say, it's great. I really like the html editor (Yes, I have realized the glory of it), the PHP support, the HUGE amount of space, and finally, no ads! I've also experimented with other PHP hosts (haven't actually hosted with them) like AwardSpace and a couple of others, but AwardSpace lacked support for the mail() function in PHP and this other site that said they offered PHP support actually did not.

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

Ive just joined up with asta after reading about it on a nz pc support forum. It looks almost too good to be true but I guess I have to wait and see. I have two personal websites hosted by my brother, but I choose not to use them for file hosting because of bandwidth usage.How do free things like asta support themselves? Someone has to pay..?

I've only tried freewebs. It is good for those who have no html knowledge but still willing to have a website. Grrr...but those ads are annoying and if you take the website thing seriously, you definitely shouldnt go there.However, it is obvious that Xisto is the best one among all others at the moment. And, the best thing about asta is that I can actually view the sites. Since we moved and most of the free-hosting sites never show up on my computer it got really hard to find the right host.In other words - Xisto RULES!

It really depends on the host, but most of them "survive" by placing ads on your web site. When something is free, everyone wants it, so they have numerous pages with AdSense on them. Unfortunately, those host don't live for a long time.

Xisto is different. You don't get ads on your web site, but are required to post here. Why? Because each and every post increases the forum size and its page count. And on every page there are let's say 3 ads. Also, the content is high quality, so the links in the ads will also be. A perfect tactic to get money.

However, ads are not enough to support all the users, so OpaQue uses money that he gets from Xisto - Web Hosting.com, a paid host that he owns, in order to finance Xisto. Without him, we would probably be using Geocities right now :D So, if you are to switch to a paid host, make it Xisto - Web Hosting and help the community survive ;)

Astrahost is the best OUT OF THESE. I really like XetaSpace better, but it doesn't give me MYSQL, so for my MYSQL hosting needs i will use Astra. All the other ones in the poll are no contest. Most of them are nooby, and Geocities is the most annoying, crippled piece of -- uh -- garbage i have ever seen!! I am always surprised that people use these when they can get a perfectly good ad free host somewhere else. I am also surprised these sites make any money from their ads because their members content often sucks!EDITI also don't like the way Astra takes out credits every day. It makes sense from a business perspective, but i think it is kind of wrong to try to make too much money from a free host. I wonder how much AstraSpace has?

Edited by Pharoah (see edit history)

ok, im not saying Xisto is bad, i only signed up today and this is the 1st time i have ever used it, so my choice isnt going to be out of all the free hosts out there, its going to be out of all the one's i have tried

ill list them

top being No.1

bottom being... Crap

100webspace-Havnt had a fault with it yet, the only thing is its a bit on the slow side

Bravehost-only because of its services, not really its hosting

50megs-not to bad, some times doesnt work

geocities-tried them one's, never again

freewebs-dont even go there

piczo-dont! make! me! laugh!

matmice-yea... when i was 5

i have tried alot, lot, lot more but out of all the one's i really got into and "review" it would be them.

im hoping that Xisto is going to be at the very top of that list, so far i would put it under bravehost BUT i havnt even got hosting yet.

Edited by -Battery- (see edit history)

Here's another anonymous vote for Xisto...I have tried many other so-called free hosts in the past and none of them were really good. They either had annoying banner ads or very limited bandwidth usage.Astahost all the way...:D