xisto Community
evion

FTP Or File Manager - Which Is Better? Which is better?

I just found the FTP file transfer damn fast. Didn't try File Manager yet, but I don't think (in case it is really faster than FTP) the speed gain is worth the work of having to manually browse for files, upload them, etc.Using FireZilla I just dragged future uploaded files and folders (it would take years to do this to all Wordpress stuff), minimized the window and left it to do something else. And the time I watched transfers, they happen in a nice speed. I'll give a shot on file manager later, for single files.

Right now, I use the File Manager. I have Filezilla on my computer but, it took me forever to figure it out. Do you have to be connected to the FTP (Filezilla) before you can try to upload files? Or, if your not will it be there when you do connect? Maybe thats my problem, I'm not always connected I think.
I never really knew the whole purpose before of an FTP program, but once I get the hang of it I think I would use it. I've only used it when I was getting a background from a website though. I don't know how to use it any other way. The website had an option for FTP file transfer.

if you are the only one using your computer or you have some kind of account locking in your pc..
you can save the passwords for all ftp accounts you have [depending on the FTP software]
then from that, que all the files to transfer via dragging files to the ftp open window and let it do its stuff..

while on asta.. there seems to be a connection limit for FTP and most of the time i get cut off.. that is on the peak hours for the asta server.. my FTP software awalys have fixed my transfers by traying to resume and do a CRC check for files upload and files in local pc and reupload those with CRC errors..

All i do is watch TV and check the FTP logs from time to time for any problems.. anyway.. my TV is just 5 feet away from the computer...

you wrong at that point.. File Zilla is an FTP client and not a server.

As a matter of fact, there is a Filezilla Server and a Client, but if you wanted to correct him, then you're right, he needed to say an FTP Client and not an FTP Server.. You connect to a Server with a Client.. I recently started to use Filezilla Server and I find it rather good and simple, I didn't find anything better on Windows for free :D

Hey guys talking about this topic here, what do you guys think is better? Using file manager or Ftp? I mean, everytime i use ftp it is so slow! File manager is quite fast but you can't do much with it if you want to upload lots of files at once. Yet many people seem to use ftp more than file manager. I even edit my sites using the HTML editor in the file manager of cpanel. What is what? Which is better to use? Which is more efficient? :blink:

Notice from vizskywalker:
Please do not take topics off into random tangents. If you have a question and you cannot find a topic that already answers it, create your own in the proper section.

i prefer FTP..but file manager is much faster, i agree.

File Managers are good for when you just want to quickly edit a file, and FTP is good for when you want to upload/download many files at once. I prefer FTP with windows explorer, because it allows you to go through your site like a normal windows folder, and by editing my files on my computer and then uploading them, it means I have a back-up on my computer in case something happens to the server.

FOR LINUX LOVERS
I'm enjoying Krusader, have more power than any commander/explorer/filer manager/etc in the Windows world!
I did tried almost 99.9% of the decent file managers there are available, but no one like krusader, is really a killer app.

PEOPLE DIES TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER
Some years ago, I were using Linux in the harder way: Text-based IRC/MSN/(the other) clients, emacs for console, jpg to ascii art (to see photos) . That is really hard to walk only with your knees, specially if you have healthy feet. The same for computers. We have to use the good stuff, make our lives easier(any GUI simplify your life), and enjoy your Monster Computer....

this way:

USE COMPIZ-FUSION!!!, that folks work to kill your stress and convert you desktop in a game console :blink:

Blessings!

Some years ago, I were using Linux in the harder way: Text-based IRC/MSN/(the other) clients, emacs for console, jpg to ascii art (to see photos) . That is really hard to walk only with your knees, specially if you have healthy feet. The same for computers. We have to use the good stuff, make our lives easier(any GUI simplify your life), and enjoy your Monster Computer....

Agreeded on the power of GUI. Really simplified by dragging and dropping to whichever folder. And what's more current FTP application are able connect a few host at one goal. Comparing with those in years back, every command need to be memorized and setting the mode of transfer.

By the way, FTP client will be the way to go comparing with File Manager. Massive uploads, drag and drop, structuring of folders at one goal. If that's the task you want to achieve, then use a FTP client. FileZilla is pretty good and what's more, its open source (constant upgrading)

File Managing is something like an extra features to use. If you are always out, then File Manager might be the chose for you. Accessing it anyway without the need of installation is definitely a pro for this. However there's no massive upload and ... etc.

So its rather what kind of task suit what kind of application. Just some thoughts. Cheers

I've been having all kinds of trouble with Cyberduck and broke down and bought FetchFTP for mac a few days ago. Since then no problems, but I've used file manager before. Especially helpfull if I'm on the road and say my laptop battery dies or I have to use someone else's terminal and don't have access to my favorite tools or don't want to leave the place with a record of my ftp username and IP. Generally I find FTP to be faster and easier to use, especially when CHMODing and editing as I can click "edit" and pull up a page in BBedit, make the changes and then save, close and it uploads the new file automatically.

I used to use File Manager a lot until I figured out how FTP worked, now I use that a lot more. When I first started though it seemed very complicated to me (for some reason I tend to think to hard than I should for things). :D Its easy to just drag and drop like 20 files from FTP though than it is to find them and upload them into file manager, for me at least.However, file manager is nice if your somewhere away from your computer and you need to access something, such as school, ect. They're both very easy tools to use, its nice to use both if you know how to use both. :blink:

I use both, for different things.FTP:uploading large php scripts/programsCHMODing files, i find it easier in FTPthats itFile manager:uploading single pagesediting pagesuploading an image or 2that kind of stuffi use the file manager more, it doesnt disconnect all the time easier, and sometimes my ftp client wont connect to my site for some reason.

I use FTP. I find filemanagers to be much slower with all the browsing from one directory to another. Filezilla has always been my mainstay, and it does have a keep-alive function, which the servers should disconnect. It sends empty packets to keep the connection open. So if the server is dropping out, it's probably some other problem.

I find that file managers are actually slower (maybe it's because I use a dial-up connection) and more annoying since they have to load pages and pages of HTML every single time. Even though cPanel doesn't really load a lot, it's still annoying to wait for different things to load up. Besides, if you're going to upload, say, a hundred files, it's going to take you a while to get all that through the upload manager. (I think with cPanel, it's 12 files per upload or something?)With FTP, I can pretty much drag and drop a hundred files at once. The only annoying thing is that if you don't use the connection for a while, it dies. DeluxeFTP seems to be able to keep the connection for only a few minutes when I'm not transferring files. But overall, I find that FTP's way more efficient, even with this little flaw. But if you really find that you like file managers and can't stand FTP, then just go with file managers. We all work differently.Serena

One problem That i keep havving with Ftp is that it constantly disconnects whenever i stop transfering files. In a matter of 30 secs after my last file it just disconnects and its gettting really annoying having to type everything in again every two minutes. Is there anyway to keep the connection ALIVE. Does anyone know of an ftp that always keeps the connection?

Cyber to fix your problem use ie 6 to connect by ftp.. just put "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; on the link bar.. this doesnt works for ie7 case this dont show the page as a folder =/

Personally I prefer FTP program over file manager for two reasons.one is ftp is faster in most of the cases and you can do multiple task with a good ftp program like cuteftp.second is with ftp program you can see the entire process like uploading speed, time remaning for the complete of the task. This is especially useful for uploading or downloading bigger file.But file manager has one advantage which ftp cannot compete with it; if you want to delete a very big file or an entire directory you can do it with file manager very quickly ftp is slow in this case, for example if you want to delete the an entire directory you will see ftp is deleting the files one by one which can take quite long time , but file manager can do it very fast.