xisto Community
evion

FTP Or File Manager - Which Is Better? Which is better?

I think like most people when I am working on sites here I use the filemanager for some things like setting permissions and "full" delete of a folder, but for ease of use I use Bulletproof FTP to transfer the files over.

Pretty much the same as Mark420, really. The file manager gives you pretty much total control of your files, but for everyday work I go for FileZilla if for no other reason than the fact that I'd quite probably die of boredom if I had to upload each file one at a time. :rolleyes:

I guess if I was going to upload a lot of files, like to start up a fresh site, I would use FTP... but I am usually wanting to add a jpg with the index page, or something basic like that, so I stick to using file manager.I guess if I start doing a lot of hardcore additions all at once, I would use the FTP and just upload it all with overrides, and then leave the PC to just upload away!I realize that there are a lot of other options to file manager and FTP, but this is on an average basis that I use either one.

I prefer FTP all the time. File manager is not so fast as FTP here. And via FTP uploading files becomes easier and faster. Which FTP program do you use? I use CuteFTP, it seems to be faster than other kinds.But when I is not manage file at home, but at school, I will use Online File Manager. I don't want to download the software and install it every time.

I prefer FTP all the time. File manager is not so fast as FTP here. And via FTP uploading files becomes easier and faster. Which FTP program do you use? I use CuteFTP, it seems to be faster than other kinds.But when I is not manage file at home, but at school, I will use Online File Manager. I don't want to download the software and install it every time.

I guess I didn't think of using FTP for quicker connect and upload... I just usually have CPanel on my Favorites on my browser. Then I just go ahead and jump right into the file manager. It is easy because everything on my internet is 'remembered' like my pass and user. All I do is just go right to it. I guess that setting up the FTP would be easier for such tasks. When I did use FTP, I used WiseFTP... but that was before I played with Xisto...

I will have to think about trying the CuteFTP maybe, or at least check it out...

- skedad -

For me the best is FTP because its fast its easy and pretty much effective Unlike File manager where you need to use a browser and the settings pretty much sucks there so thats it. What software to use there are a lot and a lot of software there but pretty much they are all the same I'm gonna share what I'm using Cute FTP that's right thats one of the best for me but the downs to the FTP and the File Manager both can suck at uploading and downloading I'm saying sometimes not always pretty much that's all the ups of the FTP the (File Transfer Protocol) nice acronym.

When uploading files, there is nothing, no file editor, no shell access, nothing that beats ftp. I use FTP for most of my uploading and my editing now. On my previous host, the files were chowned to the php user so I had to use a php script to edit most of them. In that case, I didn't need to upload often, so I used a simple text-based script that edited the files with no fuss and no graphics.I'd still use it probably if I was in a hurry, it is far faster than connecting to FTP.

ftp is better sure ! because file manager is very solw for me to use .i use ftp because when i edit my site , i edit many files so i want to upload in once .that why i use ftp and file manager i have used was very bad .Ok , finally i'm sure ftp is better , belive me :(

ftp is better sure ! because file manager is very solw for me to use .i use ftp because when i edit my site , i edit many files so i want to upload in once .
that why i use ftp and file manager i have used was very bad .
Ok , finally i'm sure ftp is better , belive me ;)

Depends how smart you are and if you are using mere ftp or a ftp client.
If you want to push a lot of files which are all in a single folder to a single remote folder, "mput *" is very impressive.
If you created a whole site on your PC with a lot of subfolders, it's not very easy to push them using ftp, you have a lot of commands like
mkdir onecd onelcd onebinarypromptmput *cd ..lcd ..mkdir twocd twolcd twomput *
For skilled Unix people this is a fast and easy task, for noobs it's somehow weird :lol: .
if you don't have a good ftp client available, then, things are easier to perform (or to explain to your cousin) using windows file manager.
If you are working on a friend's computer, then using Microsoft Windows file manager is the fastest solution, and the fastest things to explain.
Of course, if it's a one-shot job and if you have your own USB flash key available, you use a ftp client like filezilla portable, because it's very fast, efficient, and has a fantastic broken-connection recovery feature.