xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have never had a laptop of my own, but I do know of people that have used laptops. One problem is they don't stay charged for very long when your using it (you only get a few hours of use in before you run out of battery). I also know people that have had trouble with the battery. I like desktops especially because you can get a decent one cheep (or free) these days. If you put Windows XP rather then Vista on it, it will work just fine and if you use Linux it is just like a high end computer running Windows Vista. Laptops are defiantly more expensive, but I could see good advantages to it, both the mobility and size may make paying more worth it.

A little off topic but what do you think about this $30,000 laptop? 5-pen computer and Images. Seems like a bit much for a few projectors but may be a look at future computers, that is if they ever make them work outside of a dark room...

Thanks,
Sparkx

I prefer a Desktop computer, especially for working with it at home or office, but in my opinion, o more advanced computer user could have a Desktop and a laptop, because laptop is also very good, because you can bring it to your office/work, to university, to somebody to show something in the restaurant or any place, even in the yard or in a car.. :) I never liked laptops keyboard and etc. and the disadvantage that better laptops are bigger and heaver, but anyway, I am thinking of doing it like this:Have a quite good big laptop and use it as a desktop, by connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse to it at home and when needed you just can take it out and bring it somewhere :P this is really comfortable, because now having to computers sometimes is annoying, you think that you did something there and it was on another computer and etc. :P

My only problem with laptops (that I'll probably overcome when I get one) is how close you type to the moniter. Atm, on this desktop, the keyboard is about five inches from me, five inches from a raised moniter.

Reply to Toby I don't have the room to keep my computer that far away from me. At the moment my large (not thin) monitor is pressed against the back wall, my keyboard is up against that and that takes up pretty much my entire desk. I would have to agree however that laptops have a strange keyboard setup and is hard to get used to especially if you use the number pad a lot (which is not on most laptops). If I ever got a laptop I would look for one with the mouse pad, scrolling ball on the keyboard and a wireless mouse. The mouse pad is hard for most people to use which is another reason most people like desktops more (even if you can get a tiny mouse to plug into your laptop).Thanks,Sparkx

For me, the only problems about laptops is that manufacturers try to fit so much power and performance to the laptop that they now overheat easily. Like Intel laptops run burning hot. AMD laptops are less.xboxrulz

Personally, I have both a laptop and a Desktop. Both have their advantages: With Desktops you typically get MORE for LESS money. Also, their ease of use pleases many people. However, with Laptops, although they are more expensive for the same specs as a desktop, the portability, size, and convenience appeals to many people. I prefer laptops, and I bought my second one (An Acer) about three weeks ago, and I LOVE it. It was a great deal - $550 for 3GB of RAM and 320 GB Hard drive, with a built in webcam. Also, I can't even *hear* the fan running when it's on, it NEVER gets hot. So, although I'm a bit late, I'd say definitely go with a laptop!

It depends on you way of working. You want computer for your normal day today work then desktop is best becose you can have high end configuration with less cost compare to your laptop. If your work require regular travel and you need to be online any time then Laptop is the best. I prefer to use desktop b'cose i do my regular work only in home and for home use desktop is best.

I love both laptop and Desktop PC. When I design and code or do anything at home, I use desktop PC. When I meet my clients or travel, I use laptop. However, as you know, technology is changing daily. So, normally, you need to change your computer every year. You bought your laptop at the price five times higher than your desktop PC and now you sell it the same price as your old Desktop PC. What a waste! :) If you are about to buy a new laptop, remember to buy the newest tech one. Otherwise, you will find no one to sell it one year later or you may sell it and buy a load of bread! :P

You don't have to constantly replace your equipment every year. Most laptops are designed for 3 years (hence their extended warranties last 3 years) and desktops are designed for 3 years as well (avg. you may design your own desktop if you assembled it yourself). For me, my desktop is designed for 3 years with a 2 year upgrade path.xboxrulz

How lucky you're. Laptops, except fujitsu, in my country will be guaranteed for only 1 year. After that, you will have to do all upgrades. One more point making me concerned is the series of laptop will soon become out of date. At this moment, will you be confident enough to meet your client with a Acer Travel 240?

It's because people have to choose one over the other and traditionally, desktops have been always the best. So, that explains it I guess.Like I said, there are many people like me. They have both types of systems and they tend to use their desktops more because it's a lot more powerful and runs like a champ.xboxrulz

I prefer the desktop computer over the laptop, because a desktop has more customizable affordable parts. While a laptop in its form, is limited in customization, and not only that but the parts for a laptop can be very expensive. As a laptop, it should only be used for a lightweight source as a computer. Whereas, the desktop, should be your primary machine where all your work and the hardcore duty stuff would take place. Things like memory heavy games, or work. A laptop maybe able to handle the workload but, like all laptops they become obsolete and software requirments tend to increase with each month. And so the laptop lays and becomes the paper weight of everything we know and love. I own both a laptop and a desktop. And I tend to use my laptop for mostly browsing the internet and other things. But my desktop is my workhorse computer, and also my main game station. I have crysis running on it with a sli setup. But even that is running obsolete and eventually will need an upgrade. But parts for a desktop is cheap and easily found. If I was to try to upgrade a laptop that might cost a arm and a leg. So if anything I believe a desktop wins hands down.