xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Do You Prefer Laptop Or Desktop Computers? Which Is Better Overall?

Laptop VS Desktop  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At the moment, I am posting on my wife and I's laptop. We bought the laptop for her school use, but now I am using it a lot more than usual. The flat screen on my desktop computer is beginning to die. It is fading from the left to the right, and most of the screen is darkened. So I use it for Dreamweaver on my webpages. I start out my design ideas on the desktop and then send over files to the laptop. I guess it is nice to use when I am working on projects and the rest of the family is doing something else and I can hang out in the living room typing away, while they do other things.I prefer desktops to laptops... but obviously not for every use. I like to maintain the desktop, and laptops are a bit more of a pain. I have more knowledge on how a desktop works and such over the laptop, but I am liking being able to use laptops in the ways that I cannot on the desktop.So like I said, while the desktop is not at 100%, I will be sending files over to the laptop... and maybe if it works for me a lot more, maybe I will have to pick one up myself someday... but the next computer will still be the desktop.- skedad -

The flat screen on my desktop computer is beginning to die. It is fading from the left to the right, and most of the screen is darkened.

This is the main problem I see on the laptops. If the screen on your desktop is dying, you simply buy another screen.On a laptop, the screen is part of the computer, if the screen dies, you cannot simply go to the supermarket and buy another screen, you must bring your computer to customer service and wait until it's repared.

This is the main problem I see on the laptops. If the screen on your desktop is dying, you simply buy another screen.On a laptop, the screen is part of the computer, if the screen dies, you cannot simply go to the supermarket and buy another screen, you must bring your computer to customer service and wait until it's repared.

If you read his quote, it did say that that his desktop screen is dying.

Laptop LCD screen dying is a rare occasion. Usually it takes them years to die off. My old Samsung laptop took 6 years for the screen to observe such problems.

xboxrulz

Tablet PC is that like those handheld things lol?

Nice description there Chesso, that also applies to handheld consoles, laptops, phones, tablets and many more .... lol

Tablets (or more commonly Tablet PC) are the ones where it has a touch screen on them so you can use a pen to draw and write with.

Apple is rumoured to release a tablet version of their Macbook.

I myself, don't mind the standard laptop, so I'm not too excited for it.

xboxrulz

I much rather desktops over laptops. they tend to have a bigger screen unless you have a really old monitor, lol.laptops can get quite annoying, a mouse is a must buy if you have a laptop. also, they are small and ive never liked laptop keyboards. the one good thing about laptops is that you can take them everywhere!desktops are better and easier to look at and use, its just... sitting there. lol.

i say desktop computer cause laptops are surely more expensive than desktop computers...you can have double quality of desktop computer for half the money of laptop!but thats only my opinion!

At the moment I'd say desktop for a couple reasons.

Price

easier upgradeable

most places you can get online anyhow and then you can use remote desktop programs

and some others but those are the most important ones.

But Id most of all want both as laptops still have more mobility.

Edited by Mar-tin (see edit history)

I prefer Desktop computers as you can get more power for less money, as they don't have to be compact, whereas laptops do.Dell etc. are introducing ranges of Slimline PC's, but they buck the trend of laptops as they are expensive. For example, I bought, from PC World, a Compaq Pc with 1gb of RAM, 160gb hard drive, Vista Home Premium, 15" screen, Lightscribe Re-writer and 5 in 1 card reader for £299 inc. VAT.That spec would cost £100+ more in a laptop body, so I rest my case.

Desktop computers have a higher ratio of power to price. Desktop computers tend to be more powerful than laptop computers at a lower price. Laptops become very expensive the more powerful it is. Desktop are preferable over laptops for gaming because they are less expensive and have more power to run games. However, laptops are more mobile and easier to carry around if you travel a lot.

I guess it has been a while since my last posting on this topic. I am looking into getting a new monitor for the PC and I plan to keep up with using it more... well, at least project wise... I like to use the laptop to move here and there around the house, but really I want to be able to have everything I need by me on my own desk and not a dresser or end table that is just holding my laptop.Yordan is right when saying that if the monitor is bad then it could affect the whole laptop. I would think any piece of hardware on a laptop that needs repaired affects the whole machine. Where as desktops just need a device here and there. And laptop repair can be tricky.I had many people hand me their laptop after spilling stuff on it... not the smartest, but on a desktop you ruin your keyboard, not the whole machine... The laptop is ruined... You would go get a new keyboard for your desktop....I cannot badmouth the laptop, because well, I am using one right now... But on the desktop, I feel a little more free and independent rather have everything bundled into one machine... I will still be using the laptop, but for basic operation, and will go back comfortably to my designwork on the desktop.... oh, how I just want that new monitor!

Edited by skedad (see edit history)

I myself prefer laptops as you can take them to almost any coffee shop and you can use their wireless internet for no cost to you !I also like the portability part of a laptop ( i like to take my laptop with me on vacations!)

You can't compare a laptop to a desktop. They serve two very different functions.To me a desktop functions as mainly a gaming device, I built my desktop just for that and have customized it. Asus p5N32-ESLI Mobo500GB WD hard drive8800GTX 328MB4GB Ram600 W power supply. This to me is just mainly for playing new games that come out on the market like crysis for example. I am a huge gamers so i needed something like this in my life. I don't do any of my work on my desktop. I just think it doesn't get done if i sat here and started doing it. I would get distracted by games and stuff lol. To do my work, at home and on the go i use my laptop. Its mobile. But also, you have to think about how much more you are paying for it. Compared to a desktop you could end up paying 3 times more for the same specs on a laptop. That being said, laptops aren't made for gaming or anything, they are just for getting work done in my opinion. So pick what u prefer, and if your in the middle you could always get a very expensive laptop or a normal desktop and loose the mobility aspect of it.

I like Desktops better. I'm not sure why, I think it just may because I have bad experiences with laptops. I do own a laptop, however it is old, and not quite as quick as I would like. Also, the other laptops I have experiences (the ones at school and of my friends) have also performed, in my opinion under par. However, if I had expereince with a newer, quicker (Core 2 Duo, or Quad Core) more capable laptop, I would probably prefer it over my deesktop. Its just that as of now I rather sit in my comfortable, leather, cushioned computer chair and do work quick on the desktop than sit with a bulky old laptop running quite slow on my lap.