xisto Community
szupie

Secret Behind Your Nick/User Names Where did they come from?

Well, I'm not sure how would it be pronounced properly, you can ask Micro$oft Sam for that ;) I prononce it like... Uh... It's a bit complicated...First, you take PIE and remove the end of PIE that is pronounced I. So you get the letter P but without 'ee' :P And then you add yost, that is easy to pronounce. Complicated, I know...

Well, microscopic^earthling wanted me to add this after he asked me what the meaning behind "gop conspiracy" was exactly. (Then he said the conspiracy was the butchering of my word with asterisks by the censorship on the Shoutbox.) The real answer is this: The GOP is the "Grand Ole Party", another name for the Republican party. The "conspiracy" is the Right Wing (or GOP) Conspiracy that President Clinton swore was against him, behind him trying to mess with him and cause him to look bad. Basically, the GOP Conspiracy is another name for the infamous Right Wing Conspiracy, a nice shot at the President Clinton supporters, and soon to be the name of my political blog I am trying to start and make popular.

I got "Acheron" from when I was playing a MUD called EliteMUD

very actively. I got bored of my old and stupid nickname. So, I thought

I would search for a few nicknames and request a name change.

So, I ended up scrolling through http://www.darklyrics.com/ on bandnames.

Just for fun and I found "Acheron" a death metal group. I looked up

the name on wikipedia.

Here's that entry:

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheron ]

The Acheron river is in the Epirus region of north west Greece. Acheron translates as "river of woe" and believed to be a branch of the underworld river Acheron over which in ancient Greek mythology Charon ferried the newly dead souls across into Hades.

The lake called Acherousia and the river still called Acheron with the nearby ruins of the Necromanteion are found near Parga on the mainland opposite Corfu.

Another branch of Acheron was believed to surface at the Acherusian cape (now Eregli in Turkey) and was seen by the Argonauts according to Apollonius of Rhodes.

Greeks settled in Italy identified the Acherusian lake into which Acheron flowed with Lake Avernus.

Plato in his Phaedo identified Acheron as the second greatest river in the world, excelled only by Oceanus. He claimed that Acheron flowed in the opposite direction from Oceanus beneath the earth under desert places.

The word is also occasionally used as a synecdoche for Hades itself.

The god of the river fathered Ascalaphus with Orphne or Gorgyra.

Virgil mentions Acheron with the other infernal rivers in his description of the underworld in Book VI of the Aeneid.

In Dante's Inferno, the Acheron river forms the border of Hell, in the Ante-Inferno. Following Greek mythology, Charon ferries souls across this river to Hell.

In the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, the Acheron was a French privateer.

In Robert E. Howard's antediluvian world, Acheron was a kingdom of darkness that Kull the Conquerer fought to keep from resurfacing.

In Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, Acheron is one of the seventeen Outer Planes.

In the video-game Soul Calibur II, Acheron is the name of one of the swords of the character Cervantes.

In the Alien movie series Acheron is another name for the moon LV-426.

In Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, Acheron Hades is the name of a diabolical villain killed by Thursday in The Eyre Affair.

And that's about it. ;)

-----Use the quotes tags please. :) -----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

My username is simply MY own name!The reason why I prefer my own name is that it becomes easy for me to remember :D Secondly, I am not creative enough to create a drammatic name for myself and lastly...I am not able to associate myself with any of the characters present in this world..I am unique! so I decided to use my name as username :D

Actually my user name comes from an RPG game that I played a while ago. It was called Crusaders of the Dark Savant. I loved the game and one of my friends was also playing the game and we used to talk about the different parts of the game that we were in as though they were reall places and we met real people. It was kind of funny and memberable.

Any ways, I made a character that was a fighter in the game, who was a ninja and I gave him of Jharn, so afterwards, I added the the ' to it to give some uniqueness. So it is really pronounced Ja'Harn although some people just pronounce it as john which really pisses me off.

Now according to legend, my first name was actually a gift from the internet. Apparently my parent search for the meanings of the universal sounds and after they found out what each sound meant, they chose what they liked and made up my name. Of course they added the Apostrophe to my first name for unknown reasons, although I think that it was to punishe me as a toddler, because learning my own name to me and a few of my 19 or 20 other siblings quite a while to get it right.

My first name is pronounced Teh'O'llar but most people just call me Toj which his my nickname.

Now I got my nick name from when My parents were upset with me, it was just frustrating for them to say my whole name so they gave me a nick name made of my initials. I guess that making a name that was difficult for me to learn kinda backfired because they would just get tired of saying all day when they were upset with me(which when I am bad it is usually for the whole day).

Well there you have it, the secret of my nick.

Ooh, I love this sort of explanation. Well when I was but a lad, I had a lot of problems with nihilism and depression (not emo, just a bit screwed up) and I was quite the emotionless sociopath (still kinda am). Well many of my friends started calling me "Vicious" in reference to the villain of the anime series Cowboy Bebop as a bit of an inside joke. I realized that the only thing separating me from being like the actual Vicious was the fact that he was a murder and the leader of a massive inter-galactic syndicate. As the years passed I got kinda suicidal and instead of offing myself, started getting really reckless, to which my parents' response was to put me on many antidepressants and anti-add medecines. The drugs messed with my head and before I knew it I was about to jump off of my balcony of my room to near-certain death, and my mom grabbed me, and after another year of rethinking humanity and rethinking existence as a whole and beginning to fancy it, I figured" heh, I'm much different now. It's like Vicious was reborn" so I adopted the handle of Vicious AD (Vicious after death) It'd take way too long to explain the psychology behind it, but afterall, I've rambled enough.

I can't but feel in awe of some of the stories that have been told here. Some of you have actually put some real thought into the name you use on sites. I'm beginning to think I may still be going through the phase of "Oh yeah, that sounds kinda cool, I'll have that"......I have 2 user names I normally choose between on different sites, beginning to wish I'd have picked the other one, atleast that one has a small story to tell.Oh well, I chose it a while back because I thought it sounded kinda cool........*waits for everyone to stop looking before makin a run for it*

Lots of drinking, lots and lots of drinking in the Dorm...kinda...When I was in college, the RA on my floor discovered this free webbased games called "Star-Kingdoms" that had like 600 players. So he signed up, played the end of a game and waited until reset we all signed up. There was like 30 of us in the dorm that and I developed the idea of forming our own secret alliance that involved yelling down the hall in the evening, "Hey this jerk just attacked me from 12:12". So we'd all log in and start probing and nuking the guy to death. We'd message their sector leader as the "Borg Collective, join us or die". Somehow I got dubbed as "Big X" (from the Movie the Great Escape) and later Unimatrix...where or how that exactly came about, can't remember. Anyway we played for a couple rounds then finals came up, everyone in the game started figure out what was going on and started to hunt us down, but it was great fun. The most surprising thing later was like my Junior or Senior year some freshman came up and knew who I was from that....that was just odd....

Heh...when I was registering I couldn't think of a nickname. I'm not fond of forums, so I never had nicknames for forums before. I had to think of one. And then I just opened my magazine, which was lying just next to the computer, and the first name I saw was "Twiggy". the article was about ANTM(america's next top model). And I decided to use it, and since that very moment I'm Twiggy)

I am a role player and so my screen names are always the name of my character. I also always make up the name myself. I usually go through a few names in my head until I find the right one. So, I don't really get my screen names from anywhere in particular. Just from inside my head.*shrugs*I have always been told that I am good at coming up with strange, different and new names, so I use them.