xisto Community
szupie

Secret Behind Your Nick/User Names Where did they come from?

For many years I've liked the story of Cassandra, which you can find here, as well as many other places on the Web. I find a lot of morality and beauty in it. And it happens to me too often that I tell the people around me about some disaster which is about to occur, get ignored, and then have to watch it happen.

I've also particularly liked this image from a Greek vase painting since I first saw it several decades ago. It represents, of course, Cassandra.

In addition, Jane Austen's sister and best friend, the recipient of most of her known letters, and the most interesting ones, was called Cassandra. Jane called her "Cassy".

My name was easy. Sitting around a table in a bar with friends, having a beer on a sunday afternoon. i mentioned that i had been asked for proof of my age to enter the UK National Lottery. The age required is 16. I'm nearly 27. Simple as that ! :)

well, i have many nicknames, but i use sickgrrl quite often due to the fact that when i was three i contracted a virus called epiglotitus. your epiglotis (that little muscle that covers your foodpipe when you breathe and your windpipe when you swallow) swells up and you cant breathe, since i was so little, the virus wrecked my immune system and therefore, in the last 17 years, i've pretty much contracted every strain of cold out there... growing up, i always had a stuffy nose, so now when i talk, i'm kinda nasally... but my friend thought it was cute and she's called me sickgrrl ever since.....

Hrmmm... well I have two names that I go by. Firstly, there is the name 'hippy'. This is what pretty much everyone knows me as. All my friends, people who know my band and well almost everyone I know. In actual fact, there are barely any people that know my real name. I aquired this name while I was in high school. Every day I used to rock up to school with a guitar, and I was the only kid in school to have dreadlocks. I wasn't allowed to but the teachers hard words really had no effect on me. :) I suppose people put 2 and 2 together, and thus the name hippy was born. So yeah the dreads are gone, but the name stuck and I'm still called hippy. (btw... i prefer it with a lowercase 'h')Secondly, there is the name optykal. This is the name that I use for all my internet/computer art related stuff. Its a name that pretty much nobody else has. This makes it easier to be able to sign up for things and not have to worry about having another name. It took me a while to pick this name. I did google searches of all different names, mostly common words spelt differently and then I decided on this one. I also chose this name because I needed a name that would relate to design. And so that how optykal.design was born. I registered the domain optykal.com and eventually I intend to set up a web design company. I already have a few e-commerce sites on the go and some band sites, but with distractions such as uni (bachelor of Comp Science) its kinda more or less my side project for now. So yeah, thats how 'hippy' and 'optykal' came about.

The origin of my nick is actually a long story that some of you might not even understand. Anyway here it goes:

I'm a Chinese from Hong Kong, and while my parents were in Taiwan, I was born. They use Chinese there too, but their transcription of my name into English to put on my uh... ID? that card that signifies my identity... I don't think that it's used in the US. Well, they called me Szu Chen Lo, but actually sounds like See Ching Law in my language. 9 years later, on a Friday after a testing week which lets us out of school early, as I discovered the Little Fighter 2 game (this settings info has no meaning towards the subject, they're just facts.), I signed up for a new Yahoo! Mail account, and tried to come up with a unique name. At this point, I should tell you that my classmates call me Law-See-Pie (Last name is called first in my culture, as your family is more important) as a nick name, because it means "Screwdriver" in Cantonese, and very similar, just a change of the last word of my first name, to my real name. So, I used the "szu" part of my name and added "pie" after it, making it szupie, pronounced sue pie. I have kept the name for a long time.

How did you come up with YOUR nick/user names?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote

Interesting stuff :) And my username speaks for itself :P

My nick is simple - it's my nameI am supprised, that it was free, because it is in my country very popular name.I come from Poland - small country, but you may know it thanks to the Jan Paul II (Jan Paweł II in Polish) and some people can recodnise it thanks to the Jerzy Dudek from Liverpool :)

I have many names, but lately I've been using wutske the most. That wasn't too hard to find, my last name is Wuyts (I'm from Belgium, so don't try to pronounce it in English, is sounds dull). At school most people just call me Wuts (but pronounce the u as a flat e (dunno, I know in french it's a "e muet"). I simply added -ke (means little) to make it sound more 'light'.Other names are hardfreak (time I'd like to forget, I was a über computer nerd and it means 'hardware freak'), Psycho1 (saw it on the net, psycho was a popular name so I added a '1') and I even have an e-mail adres wich is called letskillbinladen007 (@ school during the lessons informatics (little bit like ICT, but for beginners) we needed to find a nickname for our new e-mail. I realy wanted a nickname, not just my name, and since I didn't wanted Psycho1 and 9/11 was still fresh, I use letskillbinladen and added the 007 because it was already used. Never used it again because I always mistype it :D ).That's it I guess

well mine is relatively simple. grafitti has always been a hobby of mine, and at times, even a paying one. So though it seems to be becoming a lost art in some places, i'm keeping it alive. ....funny thing, it's not a very common nickname in forums or chats...

When i was around 7 or so, i was doing a report on Sir Francis Drake. I had i think 5 weeks 2 do it, and during that time, i created an Account at http://www.lego.com/de-de/. I decided 2 use sirfrancisdrake as my username, and in everything i've registered 4(forums, game sites, etc) i've used this name. PS:I know a great guy whose username is Twdslbh or something like that!

My nickname is simple... ASR is the company I work for and theyve been treating me well so Ive inherited the abbreviation of their name... Originally, my nickname was truvu17... I made that name probably 12 years ago when computers and internet first came out and I was using AOL internet service... The name truvu was originally from a reef tank company that is widely supported in many pet places I go to... With the interest in reef tanks and fishes and my last name is Vu... choosing truvu wasn't a hard decision... So I ended up with tru (as in true) vu (my last name) and 17 was my age at the time.... It was fun while it last, but 17 comes off as a little kid's name so I have to change it.... Im sure nobody's going to read all this but its good to sometimes share the things you dont usually share with anybody else....

Everyone is always sayin, "You misspelled your name," or "You know it's spelled Nemesis not Nemisis." I know this, I am not stupid. However, I spell it like this because I want to spell it like this. I have had this nickname for years, probably five to six years. I got it when I was approximately 12, I was playing an old wrestling game, and I couldn't think of a good name to use for my created character. I went looking through some things, and I found an old copy of Resident Evil: Nemesis. I thought Nemesis sounded cool, so I began to use it, though I changed the E to an I. I like it, and I don't care what others think. :D

Hello all. Just posted my introduction, and I figured I'd tell the story of the all-caps Q-Man as I have been called. Before I begin, I would like to point out that the handle is the name "Brad" surrounded by 'Q's.First, allow me to get rid of all the myths about my handle that have arrisen over the years.1) It has nothing to do with Star Trek (although I am a fan), nor the "Q Continum" featured in many episodes of TNG (The Next Generation).2) It has nothing to do with the movie or television series "Sliders" (although I have seen many episodes), nor the character "Quinn", often refered to as "Q-Ball".3) It has nothing to do with billiards (although I do play regularly), nor the Cue-Ball.Ok, so here's the story:Way back when, before the dawn of Broad Band, back in the infancey of online gamming (1995 in fact) there was a game called Quake (the origional Quake, not this pansy new stuff that's come out). I started playing Quake on the MPlayer network the first day I had internet access, and assumed the handle "Red Light Special". Being a boy of twelve, the implied meaning of that handle was lost on me. However, I was soon informed by my origional clan-mates of what it ment.So, I decided to change it. Now, the clan I was in at the time used all caps handles, something I now dislike. Also, they had a policy that you had to have special characters sourounding your name. Later I would find out that these special characters (printed in funky colors in the Quake engine) were infact the non-standard ASCII characters (128-255), but at the time I couldn't figure it out.Ok, here's where the 'Q's come in. In the Quake engine, the capitol letter 'Q' was printed like the Quake logo. So, failing to figure out the extended ASCII characters, I went with 'Q's sorounding my name.I went on to play QuakeWorld deathmatch, and eventualy Team Fortress (again, the origional Team Fortress mod for the origional Quake engine, non of this HalfLife stuff) for the next five years on a competitive level. Durring that time, I was involved in over half a dozen clans, yet kept the handle.So, here it is, the tenth aniversery of my handle. I have gone by a few other handles for the sake of anonimity from time to time, but QBRADQ is always the one representing the clan, owning a LAN party, posting in forums, or e-mailing my friends and family. Not only do all of my friends know the name QBRADQ, I even have a few pieces of clothing with the handle printed on it. I have even toyed with the idea of having it trademarked, and may yet do it.Yes, it's fair to say that I love my handle. I have never seen another on the web using it. Once at a LAN party that I hosted, one of my friends changed thier handle durring a game of Counter Strike to QBUNNYQ (KillerBunny being his normal handle). I was so offended, yet so flattered at the same time, I had no idea what to do. However, had it not been a friend that did it, I would have been just plain offended.It's MY handle, GOT IT!?He, I just really love my handle. In a day and age when practicaly nothing can uniquley identify a person anymore, my handle allows people from Spain and Russia to pike me out of six-and-a-half billion people, and that really is something special.</rant>QBRADQ

In the Jimmy Neutron movie on Nickelodeon, there were these worms from another planet that kept saying the word, "Nybb." You know when things are said repeatedly, they get stuck in your head. So I registered with this username account and I am quite fond of it.

Well I Was Really a Road Casanova Long back ..! maybe 2-3 years down the line, Liked Flitring So much..! Well it had to end as I Fell in Love One day, And She Dumped me Alone.! Now im not a Casanova But yet Using that ID on all Places online,Im pretty famous on All Indian Forums By this name so It's good to be associated With my ID ..! Well i still have Zest in my life... So Just going forward in life Minding my business without any Flirting :D

I got my handle from when I was Test car diver long ago. Gee been tweny + years now. Back to the point I drove expermentle cars and trucks at night. One night when I was leaving the coffe room heading back to the truck I was driving that night I saw a Eagle perched on the bed of the truck. I said wow a eagle out at night. So all night long I thought of that eagle. By morning it blured into nighteagle but for some strange reason when I got my first CB radio I started using it as my handle. I had it painted on the back window of my own truck and the guy that was doing the job missed spelled it as knighteagle he was so sorry he didnt charge me for the work but I paid anyway for I liked it better.