xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kilz

what do you think of Gmail

I have my Gmail account, but I never use it ... I like  using my hotmail so the little pop up thing tells me if I have mail :)  But from what I've seen, the account looks sweet, so I probably should start using it for something ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can still get the notification popups with gmail, if you use one the notfication utilities. Check http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Some of the utilities even work with multiple account on mutiple servers, much better than msn notification

That's what I mean ...They want just to earn money..not to provide cool mail...PS: I know about the programs checking google mail but I want to use my mail client build in Opera 7.5 ... I used to use opera like everything ( mail, irc, browser, download manager )

I will probably be the only one to say this, but I am not care. I can't stand GMail. It is the worst e-mail that I have had. First thing I cannot send or receive chinese documents, which is what I really need in an e-mail Secondly, almost every time I sign on, and try to check my mail, it say that I need to sign in still, but I am. Too many problem for me and too much of hassle to get into Gmail, but that is my opinion. Some people love it and think it is the greatest though.

well, i got a gmail account and i like it. it's very cool how they gather maildiscussions, how they group all the "RE:..." messages together.about pop access: there are various programs around that run a server on your computer. you can access that server by adding a new email account in outlook or whatever. you add a pop & smtp server: localhost. and the program makes the connection with google and fetches your emails. i've used several programs but psgmail is the best one if you ask me. but it shareware, not freeware. free alternative: "pop goes the gmail". you need the .net framework for that one. i've tried it, but had no success. it crashed every time i started it. there are other alternatives, try searching google.com or sourceforge.net for "gmail pop"i remember gmail notifier too, but that only notifies you when you get mail. it's easy because you can click on it and you go straight to your inbox, but you can't use outlook. but then again, why use outlook when you have 1gig of space and it's lightning fast?last but not least: linux people! you can actually mount your account as if it were a disk on your local computer! for more info, check :http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ small installation and then you can just use the space as a (slow) harddisk. or you could use an account to share files with your friends. make an account you won't use yourself and share the password with your friends.eventually, gmail will have pop3 access, which will make it even more attractive.gmail rocks my bootie!marijn

I heard about someone giving away an invite or something but I don't know what exactly it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't register a Gmail account. You must get an invitation first from an user. If you need one just tell me. Got 50 invitations (I think everyone does now...)

you get 1GB space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... did you check your mail reciently? Gmail has no longer 1 GB... it has... 2 GB!!!!!! Yup, they are upgrading it becouse of their 1 year aniversary. You might not have 2 gb yet, but we all will have it for... I think tomorrow. Those are upgrades! Take that hotmail! :P

G-Mail, or any other type of free e-mailing service sounds troublesome. Theres been apparent rumours that they scan e-mails, keep your personal information and sell it to larger corporations. A big accusation, yes. Food for thought needless to say.

I have an account with yahoo wich include 2gig space and many other additional features, wich I use every day, Its not really free but free for me (why would i pay for email) if something happened and my yahoo was no longer free, I would probably end up having to pay for it. Until Gmail came along, now I have the option of keeping and never having to pay. Ok, I can also safely say I dont have the same thing, I have more, I have stuff Ive been telling Yahoo that I wanted (maybe google was listening to my emails to Yahoo?) """the man is watching us"""

hey..., i don't think gmail would sell your information to anyone.. i mean those ads which come on the right scan your emails and serve ads from google.. but they don't send or store any of these info. i've been using gmail for quite some time and i am okay with it..Yahoo! is also planning to upgrade to 1 GB free email soon... coming in May..But gmail has already went beyong 1 GB.. its like increasing everytime... strange but cool.BTW Yahoo! does store your information for advertising.. read their privacy policy to know more.