xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

How Can I Fight Off Internet Addiction?

There's a thread in this "Addictions" forum which talks about addiction to computers, but my case is a bit modiefied - I can live without a computer, but not without the internet! You know the routine dialogues- "I can't survive without it"; "If I don't use the internet for one day I feel something's gone terribly wrong that day" and so on....

I spend around 15 minutes on Xisto per day so that doesn't play a major role in my addiction. But I spend 4 hours more just lazing around, not knowing what to do....I stumble onto something useful from time to time but that "something" isn't necessary at that point of time :) Now that I come to think of it, I don't use my computer a lot when I'm offline. And if I'm away from my computer I try to browse using my mobile! I'm sure this is a situation that many of you might be aware of. So could you please give me some suggestions on how to control this addiction and get back my life?

This addiction is fought off like any other non-physical addictions.All you have to do is to replace interneting with the internet people by something else that interests you.I play drums, do muscle exercises, go jogging etc. Any other activity does, after you've understood this, you can't get "addicted" to anything mentally. I change my activities the way I like them, and I can stop doing any of them at any time. The only thing I can't do is do nothing, so you could draw a conclusion that I am addicted to being active. And by active I don't mean lying in the bed thinking for yourself is wasting time, as that is important, having moments of peace to think. Being "active" doesn't count out entertainment, all you have to do is SOMETHING. Then you can easily have many activities in a day, and nobody will assume you're addicted to anything, neither will you, but you'll be addicted to all those things, and you can become a very versatile since you can adapt to any situation and leave your earlier activities behind.The point is, if you have something else to do, you can easily dump your "addiction". Scheduling makes your stuff a lot easier. I have a certain time in the day when I play drums, I have 3 days in week set for working out and 1 day in week only for jogging. I hang out at t17, watch movies, listen to music.Schedule is the key, as you'll know what you want to do before that time comes and can avoid "wasting time" on only one thing.

There's a thread in this "Addictions" forum which talks about addiction to computers, but my case is a bit modiefied - I can live without a computer, but not without the internet! You know the routine dialogues- "I can't survive without it"; "If I don't use the internet for one day I feel something's gone terribly wrong that day" and so on....

I spend around 15 minutes on Xisto per day so that doesn't play a major role in my addiction. But I spend 4 hours more just lazing around, not knowing what to do....I stumble onto something useful from time to time but that "something" isn't necessary at that point of time :) Now that I come to think of it, I don't use my computer a lot when I'm offline. And if I'm away from my computer I try to browse using my mobile! I'm sure this is a situation that many of you might be aware of. So could you please give me some suggestions on how to control this addiction and get back my life?

you have no idea how bad I am addicted too!

And judging by what you just said, we have the same habits, Once im logged on, time flies without me doing anything just surfing and when i finally realize it, i then focus on the important things and way finish later.

As for surfing using my mobile, I used to do it as well but now its less as most of the time I am home and can just use the computer but I do it if im desperate.

My surfing has however improved slightly, this is what i advise you to do man. before surfing, know what you want to do then focus on each taks until its complete before you move to the next. After all are done, force yourself to logout and do something else. if you do this consistently, you find the going will get easier.

I would also advise you find something to replace web activity with. You can't just quit an addiction, im sure you know.

Good luck mate

yea, i really like what baniboy and legen had to say. i do hoestly believe you wont be able to quit the addiction. you can only control it. so baniboy gave a good example which i believe works. he said to replace the addiction with other things you like to do OR find other things in your life that you might like to do and have never tried. this will work with baniboys suggestion in creating a schedule. write down the things you like to do or the things you would like to try and try to budget your time to fit those things in to it. not only will this help you get rid of your addiction to the internet(for the most part) in the future, it will enable you to do a lot more stuff with your free time.it wont be easy bud....because while doing other things, you will still have the urges to quit those things to fiddle aimlessly on the internet as you said you do...or a thought will pop in to your mind that you HAVE to research that thought right away on the internet. so you need some self discipline.to help with self discipline, you can create a reward system for yourself. reward yourself with something if you can keep to your schedule for a week. and if you can't, take away something that you truely enjoy as a punishment. this is basic parenting for children except you will be in control of your life. not a parent.create a system that works for you from baniboy and legends thoughts and stick with it. sometimes addictions get worse and worse over time so the sooner you try to conquer it, the easier it will be to control.also, a lot of people who are actually addicted to the internet don't get out much. might i suggest 1 or two hours of outdoor activities which included alone time to think about your life AND places where other people are in the hopes to socialize more offline. i think my last suggestion would be good for legend as well.and being outdoors gives your internal body the ability to thrive with the vitamin d the sun gives you. other foods that contain vitamin d are not nearly as good a substitute.baniboy schedules when he will excersize. do the same. it's never too early to have a healthy body and keeping it that way on a regular routine and schedule.anyway....those are some of my suggestions. hope they help ya out somewhat but all in all, it will boil down to your own self discipline and mental toughness and mindset to overcome what you are calling your addiction to the internet.

Thanks for the advice everyone! It's really useful and I'm going to try some of the things you mentioned here. The schedule and reward system are really good in theory and I've tried them before, only to be disappointed. Well I'm going to try again now...

All you have to do is to replace interneting with the internet people by something else that interests you.

also, a lot of people who are actually addicted to the internet don't get out much. might i suggest 1 or two hours of outdoor activities which included alone time to think about your life AND places where other people are in the hopes to socialize more offline.

Well actually I do have a somewhat active social life and don't do much networking online. I do have Facebook and Orkut accounts but they're mostly inactive. So you could say I'm an introvert online! :) As for going out I do that a lot - most of my online time is spent in the late hours of the night or the too early hours of the morning :o

do you have trouble sleeping? is this possibly one of the reasons you are up late at night on the internet. what's your sleeping schedule like? are you getting enough? sleeping too much? are you a night person in general and sleep during the day?

Well I usually sleep for around six hours - I'm usually online from 9pm to 11pm and then again from 5am to 8am!! And I love sleeping - I don't have any trouble sleeping - only problem is that I'm at the computer instead :)

that doesn't seem too bad. 6 hours sleep is all one needs and you're on the computer when there is very little else to do at night or in the very early morning when you start your day at 5am. so what about reading a book or maybe, think about what you enjoy on the internet organize your time better when you're on it. but as far as substituting something else besides the internet....there's the t.v. which really isn't productive....reading is good or excersizing at least one hour before you go to bed is good. you might be able to sleep 8 hours instead of 6. i like to sit outside outside at night myself and watch and listen to nights nature. something most people don't do because they like it better inside at night :) if nothing else fails, you can try to find a hobby on the internet like creating a website or trying to find ways of making extra money online. a personal blog perhaps where it can be somewhat journal related to your every day life. hmmm....if i have other suggestions, i will post them as i think of them....

Well I usually sleep for around six hours - I'm usually online from 9pm to 11pm and then again from 5am to 8am!! And I love sleeping - I don't have any trouble sleeping - only problem is that I'm at the computer instead :o

Well I usually sleep for around six hours - I'm usually online from 9pm to 11pm and then again from 5am to 8am!! And I love sleeping - I don't have any trouble sleeping - only problem is that I'm at the computer instead :)

wow, then your addiction is not that bad, well as compared to mine!

I work on the internet so much that when im offline life loses meaning, a bit! Im kind of nocturnal, i sleep around 1,2,3 am and wake up anytime before 9am. sometimes i get up late if i feel exhausted.

The thing is im starting uni next year so i've had loads of free time and i find programming much better than for me to focus on other things i don't have any interest with. I do play golf on saturdays, go out once in a while (im in a foreign country so im only getting to make friends now) but most of the time i spend at home or reading...or i sometimes offer to tutor at the local public school.

and still i got a serious internet addiction! on average if im not doing of the things i mentioned, believe me im online...helping newbies or such...i guess i just enjoy it thats why I don't have a kick to change really!
Edited by legend112 (see edit history)

err, how should i say this...i'm not so pro on how to stay away from the internet (for i am addicted too)but all i can say for you is just find something better to do.if it still be on your computer , that should be a fine first step, like for example you could do something else on your computer for a while like sorting your files, than get off the computer and watch some tv (seeing that this is similar to computers)then you could do something around your house.& outside of your house.Go socialize and stuff! One of the cons about being addicted to the internet is that you get no air, and since your a guy that means no ladies!of course if your married ignore that statement, i was just trying to sound like i had a point :o you remind me of my brother, he sleeps , he eats and he goes on the computer. no i did not mention showers nor anything else hygienic.you could also try sleeping more? til' you get sober and energized. that could work :)

I have to agree, 5hrs a day total is not that bad. as long as it does not interfere with school work or your family, then you have a problem. my advice? for one day, unhook everything. PC everything if your phone has the internet. the day before, give it to a very trusted friend and tell them NOT to give it back to you for 24 hours and give them the reason why. If after that time you feel as you can go another 24, Good for you and do it.

Hey guys - I think I set a new record for myself - I didn't go online for 22 hours :) The last time I connected was yesterday at 7AM and after that I logged on only at 5AM today! :D Well it's another thing that I've been online since 5AM today (it's 11 now :o ) but at least I tried to control myself - well it's a start....I'll try to build on that.

My dear friend I think it can be got rid by concentrating of books, reading books, hanging out with good friends and watching good programmes on TV etc. This is my view so please try it and find the difference.

M8, i dont think your addicted! An addiction is where you absolutely can't stop yourself from the action, day to day. But for you it sounds like you know your wasting your time a bit, you probably could do something else, but you find it pleasurable to browse and discover the Internet, for which you find your time quickly slips by unnoticed. Thats kinda like how i get with computer games. Although I'd be just as happy to go rough water kayaking, or going to the pub for a couple of quiet ones. It looks like you've found a very cheap and easily accessible activity and its for that reason you seem to gravitate towards it, but if you could do something exciting, that would probably grab you more.You sound like me, your BORED.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)