xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Why Do Many Students Lose Their Interest In Studies In College?

At the time of creation of this topic, I have less than 24 hours for my semester exams to start but I have no inclination to shut down the computer and start preparing. But I'm not alone - most of my friends are either watching a movie or are simply lazing around as I'm writing this. Why are we so carefree? All of us know that we're no good at studies and yet we're simply killing time.

This is not just an isolated incident. This happens most of the time - students, no matter how intelligent/dull they are, tend to lost focus/concentration on studies as soon as they enter college. The blessed few who manage to continue their momentum from school make it big in college too, but the majority just risk their careers by not focusing enough on their studies, and instead enjoying their college life, with the one excuse that "You won't get a chance after college!"

It is at this point of life that a student fully realizes what has happened in his/her life till now and plans out the future. Thus this is a crucial stage for any student. Yet it is wasted by many and they tend to mess up their careers. Why do you think this happens, and more importantly, can you suggest a solution for this?

Personally I feel the same in the University, a lot of things needed are done on the last days and the most learning is on the last days to exams or some other homeworks. I guess it's natural. I do this, because usually if I learn all the semester or on the last days, I'll get the same mark, of course it depends on what you're studying, for doctors I guess it's different.I'm not saying that I don't learn at all all the semester, I do learn, but I don't focus as much as on the last days. When you know that you have to do something after 2 or 3 days, you usually are very focused and the homework or studying gets extremely well and when you know that you'll need that knowledge after a month, it's really hard to concentrate, you just loose precious time when you could be doing something else, programming something for yourself or if you have a job or are a freelancer or you could go and drink some beer with friends. :)Even though I heard a lot of stories, that people who learned well at school sometimes doesn't learn so well in college or university, maybe because they missed a lot in school? As for my self I was average at learning at school, but I managed to focus at the end of school and passed all my exams and entered university and now I can say that I'm on the top of the list after exams, I started to learn more. I guess it depends on the personality :D Moreover, I think it's much more interesting in university or college rather than in school, school is like a prison where you need to go everyday and learn things that does not interest you for general education, in university it's sometimes like a lottery :(Of course it depends on the college/university you're in and the thing you study.

Oh I have already lost my interest(not that I ever had any interest) in many subjects in school. My grades are usually excellent. Why?Why do I hate Swedish, couldn't care any less about physical education and I don't really like our IT lessons either and still get good grades in them? Because I am determined. I want those good grades, I study before the exams, listen to what the teacher rambles in class and almost do my homework (:)).I do all this because I want to get to a school where you have to at least have an average grade of 8,72. Mine is 8,9. This is a school that has a class where they have more science lessons and they teach more advanced science. I want to hit 9+ average this year just for the sake of it. I don't enjoy Swedish, PE and some other subjects, but I do enjoy high grades, will get a job more easily. I jog to have a higher PE grade, I study for the exams in Stinky Swedish and other yucky subjects. I really liked Physics and Chemistry in school in the past years, but we have a new teacher that sucks very much, and the lessons don't interest me anymore. After this year I'll go to a school thats English name could be "high school". There I'll be for the next 3-4 years depending on the courses I take. Maybe I'll get interested in school physics and chemistry again there if it's fun.So if people lose interest in the SUBJECTS THEY CHOSE in college, it's their own damn fault.

Yeah i kinda agree, ambition and determination are powerful forces. Personality is a huge factor, if you are naturally striven to better your knowledge and skills, then you are more likely to keep that momentum up no matter what. You have to be prepared to ''truly" work and sometimes without any immediate or mid term rewards. You have to have faith that it will give you what you want, or at least set you on a good path. Come on T.S, make an excuse to your buddies and go to the library, seriously!

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Some of my experience in engineering college:1) Students are not comfortable with some subjects and feel like panic. For example few people hate maths and that is why they run away from any math formula in other subjects as well and bunk classes.2) Fear of teacher and other staff, some student lost interest because of faculty. It's not easy once you learn that faculty is not qualified or friendly to you.3) Earlier bad grades could turn off many students.4) lack of peer support and treatment of peers could as well affect student from losing their interest.I think self-introspection helps most of the times. But it all depends on environment and situation.

I've found most students just aren't ready for college. Their parents are forcing them to go and they really want a break since they just got out of high school.On top of this is the completely different atmosphere. You are around different people, some much older, and it just doesn't feel the same. There are less rules and a lot more freedom, which causes you to stress the freedom.Along with this is the uncertainty of the future. "What if I spend my 4 years in college and still can't get the job I want? I will have wasted 4 years. So why even try?" and things like that.

Along with this is the uncertainty of the future. "What if I spend my 4 years in college and still can't get the job I want? I will have wasted 4 years. So why even try?" and things like that.

Yes, it does happen. and i have seen many people in my country with such situation. I think most of the educational institutes here train students not for knowledge but for parroting the stuff & get a paper called degree. Here most of people get job either by reference or by getting grades by hook or crook.Talent is always underestimated and ignored over hype and social strategies of survival in education.

Most students in my state (I don't want to say 'country' because I'm not sure about the trend in the remaining states) blindly opt for engineering courses without even considering to check their skills and interest levels. That's the reason most of them lost interest once college starts and their entire career gets ruined unless they take a better step for post-graduation. Well I decided to choose carefully and opted for Computer Science Engineering although the "trend" was towards Electronics. I'm certainly interested in the course, but the routine itself tends to bore me and causes my interest to drift away :) That's my major problem..

To answer this question sweet and simple, it is like kids hating school once they get used to it

Well generally kids hate school only in the early years and gradually they learn to accept it, right? Well in college it's the routine that most students hate. Otherwise they love the campus, friends and everything else except studies!

Most students in my state (I don't want to say 'country' because I'm not sure about the trend in the remaining states) blindly opt for engineering courses without even considering to check their skills and interest levels. That's the reason most of them lost interest once college starts and their entire career gets ruined unless they take a better step for post-graduation. Well I decided to choose carefully and opted for Computer Science Engineering although the "trend" was towards Electronics. I'm certainly interested in the course, but the routine itself tends to bore me and causes my interest to drift away sad.gif That's my major problem..

you are right.

i remember in junior high how i almost studied sciences before i discovered i have a passion for the web and programming. The thing is most people align themselves with wrong studies from an early age because they can't judge for themselves. As for me now, i haven't started uni and my brother was insisting i do accounting because accountants have got money blah blah blah but this time i said no to that crap....i will do what i wish and really, i can work for free just programming because its a passion that i have.

i have meet too many people who dread to go for class or work and i don't want to be stuck as well.

I wouldn't blame the routines and all, just poor career guidance.

Dear friend here I would like to say that the time which you are killing right now will not be returned any more and you will realize this at a later age when you will get some time to think about your past and the mistakes made by you in the past. But if you are concentrating on the studies right now then you in future might be setlled in a good career and will be able to be happy then. Thats it dear friend.?

@ TS's post 10,Yeah routine can seem difficult after a while. For my college course some years ago "at first" it was excellent because we were studying design and it was an enriching cultural experience. However, after the first year and half it was more focused on arranging your time and making sure you arrive to class "exactly" on time, otherwise you'd miss critical information, even if you were 1 minute late.The pace in later years was intense!, inevitably i found it challenging to experience my original enthusiasm. But in some ways you develop important skills at that time which will help you in life, like perseverance.Its like a test to let those through the door who truly want to succeed.