xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gisellebebegirl

Eating One Meal A Day

Well, i started college 3 weeks ago, and ever since i went back to this thing i used to do when i was in high school, and that is eating one meal a day(IE) I dont eat anything in the morning then have a normal lunch at around 3 and thats it (which usually tends to be a lot, but thats just me) then after that i dont eat anything but wateris this unhealthy or can a person carry this without health hazards or whateverjust curious, because im considering eating something small in the morning, like toast or fruit or something, to kinda undo the cycle, since idk ill be honest idk i think im developing an eating disorderbc of how my stepdad is always calling me fat and stuff but anywayslast week, i got 2 slices of pizza and was ready to eat it for breakfast, i started eating half way through the first pizza, i didnt want to eat anymore, I HAD THE CRAVE TO, but i just couldntand thats how its been lately, i have the crave, im anxious to, but then i cant, or i eat and i dont feel full, i just feel badany opinionsi want to loose weight and all but i dont know if to continue with what im doing, bc i usually gain it back, and the whole 5 small meals a day doesnt work with mei just cant it doesnt matter if i only eat once, i need to feel like i stuff myself to be happy idk

Edited by gisellebebegirl (see edit history)

That is very unhealthy. When you only one "massive" meal a day, your blood sugar percentage goes high. This is the time you feel kinda "happy", after that, the blood sugar percentage suddenly drops. This is very unhealthy AND makes you dizzy. And because you're student, I suggest you eat at least 3 or more meals a day to keep your blood sugar at normal rates and be able to study and work stably, not going on a "sugar rush" after lunch and suddenly feeling not-so-good after that. And yes, what you're doing is very close to eating disorder. Maybe someone more educated about nutrition should comment about that one. But anyway, eating one meal a day doesn't seem very healthy, and it's not what you'd exactly call "normal" either.

I agree with Baniboy... and I do believe you have developed an eating disorder. Number one... Do NOT listen to your stepdad!!! He is just well, I wouldn't call him a jerk, but he shouldn't say that to you. Maybe it's just because you're his step daughter and not his biological "real" daughter... things like that happens.You have to eat at least three meals a day... Believe it or not, I really don't think you're fat at all, even if I've never seen you before in my life... Seems like to me that you're very skinny, but just think that you're fat (anorexia)... this isn't good for you. Put it this way. Are you really really really really fat? Like, Obese? Like, you can't stand up from your chair or walk ten metres without panting and having to rest? Like, you can't run 100m?No?Then you don't have anything to worry about.Put it this in another way...If you see someone that's a bit chubby (in which I really doubt that you are...)Would you care at all?No.OK, if you are a little bit chubby, do you think that us bystanders think that you are chubby and care?No... we don't.So year... as you can see, no one really cares how you look (I'm sorry if that sounds mean,), so you don't have to worry about how others think you look at all!!!Isn't that a relief? I think so...

People say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day...but they didn't say it should be the only meal :lol: It sure is unhealthy to eat a lot but too little is a bad thing as well. Two meals a day isn't such a bad idea if you have a good amount of food at both times, otherwise three meals with a small quantity could do too. But it's important to keep the good ol' stomach happy :P

Mmm... I reckon you could get away with two meals a day and be ok, but one isn't a good thing to do. I am similar sometimes i'll only eat dinner and thats my one meal for day but that's becoming more rare for me to do. I realise know (for me) that their is no way i can adequately concentrate on my day to day affairs on one meal a day. Regarding your stepdad i think he is a jerk and i think you should boot him in the testes next time he puts you down. Either that or throw a brick at his head. For proper weight loss you need to eat average amounts of (good) food and create a daily deficit of calories by burning a bit off through exercise (walking for 30 minutes at least each day). The way your doing it know will take muscle away and muscle is important for losing weight, the more muscle you have the more fat you lose when exercising. P.S. Give him another boot from me.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Based on everything I've heard, several smaller meals a day is the way to go. Here's an excerpt from an article I just found:

While a lot of people caught up in our hectic culture would suggest that this is normal weekday practice, we?d suggest (and these studies do as well) that a one-meal routine isn?t the best way to go. As Mark has shared the past, grazing remains the ideal (if difficult) mode for daily fueling strategy. For most of us, three full meals a day aren?t always possible, but the body has a remarkable resiliency to carry us through on the days when it just ain?t happening. Yet, it?s still the goal. That said, there?s room and considerable benefit in shaking things up with intermittent fasting.

If you're up to reading that whole thing, here's the link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/3-meals-a-day/

Anyhow, I probably shouldn't be talking, I eat very irregularly. Some days I eat like a hobbit, while others I don't eat until 5 PM. But as that saying goes: "Do as I say, not as I do." :lol:

One meal a day is impossible if you don't get all the needed nutrients for the day. Fat is a requirement in order for your body to go longer without eating, as the body stores what it couldn't put to use at the time into fat and because fat gives you the feeling of fullness. Given the small insight on what you are planning on eating for the day, you'll end up with multiple deficiencies and you may eventually crash or start feeling sick or not good.

Forget about what others tell you concerning your weight; even if you wanted to lose weight, eating less is not a good way to go about it. Eating one meal a day will actually work against you in trying to lose weight. By eating only one meal a day, you slow down your metabolism and it also causes your body to enter what is known as "starvation mode." When the body is in this mode, it starts storing up whatever it can, like one stores up for a "rainy day." It's a way the body tries to keep itself alive in one of the ways it knows how.

However, if you are not getting the kind of nutrients your body needs, what would there be to store? If you eat throughout the day, even if they are small things, snacks even, this helps improve your metabolism because the digestive system is constantly working. Breakfast is called the most important meal of the day because it breaks your fast. When your fast is broken by eating food, your body puts the nutrients to use more effectively than it would have if you would have eaten something after breakfast. But breakfast does not have to be in the morning; breakfast is merely the first meal of the day—no matter the time.

When you eat, try to touch on many kinds of food, healthy food, as possible—but be sure it has some fat in it, even if all the fat comes from any meat. While pizza contains fat, if you're going to eat pizza, make sure to at least get the kind that contains a lot of vegetables as its toppings. Otherwise there's really not much to gain from eating pizza. If you insist on eating just one meal a day, be sure it contains a decent amount of nutrients, preferably essential nutrients. Essential nutrients are nutrients that the body cannot create on its own.

The body can't put to use everything it takes in if it doesn't have the necessary resources to put it to use. While the body can create certain nutrients (like cholesterol) on its own, it cannot do so always and it cannot create many nutrients. Many foods contain a lot of nutrients on their own, but it is better to eat a variety of food. It is not good for someone to be taking risks concerning their diet without supervision, so be sure to consult at least a dietitian.

small update, but now im kinda drinking coffee along with some sort of snack in the morning (1/4 of a bag of chips, a cookie, like half a baggie of cereal, small things) along with my usual meal and i think my body got used to it, its better now as in weekdaysbut when the weekend hits, i usually eat breakfast with my family etc, i can eat it, sure, but during the day i feel stuffed, and unhappy, and my stomach hurts and get cramps, so i end up forcing myself to eat lunch with my family again, then get even more horrible stomach aches, and wake up having to go severely to the bathroom..horrible weekend.then by monday it goes away.

Well, i started college 3 weeks ago, and ever since i went back to this thing i used to do when i was in high school, and that is eating one meal a day
(IE) I dont eat anything in the morning then have a normal lunch at around 3 and thats it (which usually tends to be a lot, but thats just me) then after that i dont eat anything but water

is this unhealthy or can a person carry this without health hazards or whatever
just curious, because im considering eating something small in the morning, like toast or fruit or something, to kinda undo the cycle, since idk ill be honest idk i think im developing an eating disorder

bc of how my stepdad is always calling me fat and stuff but anyways

last week, i got 2 slices of pizza and was ready to eat it for breakfast, i started eating half way through the first pizza, i didnt want to eat anymore, I HAD THE CRAVE TO, but i just couldnt

and thats how its been lately, i have the crave, im anxious to, but then i cant, or i eat and i dont feel full, i just feel bad
any opinions

i want to loose weight and all but i dont know if to continue with what im doing, bc i usually gain it back, and the whole 5 small meals a day doesnt work with me

i just cant it doesnt matter if i only eat once, i need to feel like i stuff myself to be happy idk

You will become weak in this way. Only one time eating is craziness:D. If you really wana lose wait then do daily excercise rather give yourself punishment. a normal person should eat atleast twice in a day. Doctor says that breakfast is very necessary for good health and eating before sleep is also very necessary as during sleep body developement start :lol:....

Eating one meal a day can't be good at all. That means that you're goingabout 24 hours without out food each day really. It's almost likeyou are fasting each and every day. That has to be unhealthy. When I was a student, many of us could only eat once a day though.I imagine it's still very much the same. I'd eat fruit such as bananas and oranges outside of your one meal a day. Maybe take multi-vitamins as welll.See if you could also add a light snack of some kind of nutritiousoatmeal cookies or something.

The only way to lose weight in a healthy way is to eat healthy and working out.

Sure people integrate a calorie deficit to aid the process of losing weight, but just NOT eating is not going to help you at all. 

In fact, you are slowing down your metabolism and your muscle will eventually break down, and any form of fat that you ingest your body will hold onto and you are increasing your risk for heart issues and fat deposits in your body.

Eating breakfast should be the most calorie dense meal of the day. Chips and cookies, um no. Coffee does not count as a food! Its obviously a liquid. Whole grain and protein and fiber rich foods will keep you full and your metabolism revving. 

Honestly if you cant bring yourself to EAT a meal. Then I would suggest having protein or meal bars/shakes handy if you cant down a meal.  

You might want to consider seeing a psychotherapist or nutritionist because 1) you are uneducated in healthy eating/lifestyle and 2) it sounds like you are suffering from body dysmorphia.

I understand your struggles for weight loss and image. I am 5'6" athletic and 145 lbs, and as a college athlete I struggled with thinking I was "chubby". Everyone called me skinny, but when I looked in the mirror I saw a whale. Has to do with my parents who kept a constant pressure on body image etc...

but anyway, 3 years later I have learned so much about nutrition and accepted that not everyone is meant to look like supermodels. The women we see in the media like in victoria secret are naturally thin, petit, and tall. Proportions I could never achieve NATURALLY based on my bone frame and structure.

Now if you go to a nutritionist, she can probably tell you that you are eating poorly and also do a BMI, skin pull test, and calculate your muscle index. The avg person could always afford to lose an inch or to, but losing inches can ONLY be achieved through fat burn, and fat burn can ONLY be achieved through exercise. GET IT? NOT DIETING and STARVING YOURSELF.

Weight is nothing but numbers that have other factors and you have to accept. Water retention, organs, your boobs, you name it. Don't get obsessed with numbers on the scale, it means nothing.

If you aren't pleased entirely with your image in the mirror, eat to live, and workout to tone and lean out your body.

I would recommend you look up the southbeach diet for food ideas and learning to eat healthy. Its not really a diet, it just showing the right foods and proportions for a healthy lifestyle while avoiding fatty weight gain.

READ THIS eating One meal a day is a massive disorder which can lead to other eating habits.

I'm a Sophmore and I know many thing from reading college level medical books and eating one meal a day I not right you need suficient vitamins especialy if your a student. 

Everything I have ever been told is that you need to eat several meal per day, at least 3 and in some cases, more, for certain health reasons. However, most of the time I myself only eat one meal per day. The thought of breakfast makes me positivly ill. I could not stand to eat early after getting up. I'm not a morning person and my stomach is the last part of my body that comes to. By the time I could eat something I am usually hard at work at the kennel. I do occasionally try to get back to the house to grab some lunch, but sometimes I get too busy and don't have time, or by the time I get things rounded up and under control, it's too close to supper time to eat much of a lunch. Sometimes if I have a few minutes I'll bolt something down, usually standing up or while checking my email, just whatever happens to be in the refrigerator that I can just grab and stuff in my face. Today it was a mushy banana. Yuck. Boiled eggs are a real handy thing to have, and the way my chickens have been laying, there's no shortage of those. If I have time my favorite lunch is tortilla chips with cheese melted on them in the broiler. Anyway, it hasn't killed me.

Not healthy! I think breakfast is as important as lunch.You can eat little ,even an egg, but it is must. Suppper is necessary but not demanded. You can eat some fruits instead of meals. If you continue do that, you would have stomach in the coming day.

There is healthy way of losing weight as well as the unhealthy. Your way definitely belong to the the latter. Skipping breakfast is bad nuff. You are skipping dinner as well. If you must skip a meal, I say skip dinner.