xisto Community
Nameless_

Free Domain Help? And other questions...

Hi people,So, as some of you may all know, I have agreed to start my website on Sunday (today). However, when I clicked "Logic Plan" ($1.95 per month) I am meant to register a new domain. I do not wish to do that, as I have heard that registering a new domain AND a new site at the same time will take a while to set up and process, and I only want to have a free .trap17.com or a free .qubis.com site.However, after scouring the Knowledgebase, I have come out with nothing fruitful... I want to just have a free domain (like free free, not costing any myCENTS or credits, not free as in not having to pay real cash), and I don't know how to go about in doing that.I have tried typing in a .qubis.com and a .trap17.com when I tried registering for a free domain, but all I have was a "The domain you entered is not valid #" sign and I don't know what to do...I am very sure of Xisto providing this service though. If nothing works, well, I might have to sign up for a uni.cc domain or something like that. I was planning to mask the .qubis.com or .trap17.com with a .tk extension.Any help?

Please follow the procedure here free hosting procedure and order your hosting account with sub domain. If you find that difficult ask us and we will help you.. Happy Hosting ;)

As xpress says follows the free hosting procedure and enjoy the free hosting with sub domain. You can easily use yourname.tk domain instead of yourname.trap17.com with easily redirection. I think you can not run .tk free domain with dns service so you can not use it as addon domain. I use my domain here as addon domain (puneye.com) it works great for me. At last you simply redirect your sub domain to .tk domain.

Please follow the procedure here free hosting procedure and order your hosting account with sub domain. If you find that difficult ask us and we will help you.. Happy Hosting ;)

As xpress says follows the free hosting procedure and enjoy the free hosting with sub domain. You can easily use yourname.tk domain instead of yourname.trap17.com with easily redirection. I think you can not run .tk free domain with dns service so you can not use it as addon domain. I use my domain here as addon domain (puneye.com) it works great for me. At last you simply redirect your sub domain to .tk domain.

Oh my god... thanks SO SO SO much!!! :P Will get started straight away once I get everything done... I actually think I'm the only person in this online community stupid enough to ask a question (or questions) in signing up, but here are a few problems and questions I want answered when I sign up:

1) Firstly, I couldn't log in to my account. For some reason, all I came up with is a blank screen with the words "License Validation Failed." in the top left hand corner. I even tried to log in with a wrong password and it still came up with the same thing. My email seems fine though, and I don't know what is happening.

Anyhow, not discouraged by this weird phenomenon of not being able to sign in and order my package, I just went to the Order page (without signing in) straight away to see what I would have to deal with (forms and stuff) when I log in... (I did that because I saw a lot of things that I didn't understand in the screenshots of the link that you helpful people have given me: Free hosting procedure

And my other problems, or should I say questions came up:

2) Do I have to choose Xisto for my hosting domain, or can I choose other ones, like Xysis, merely because it sounds better and it is easier to type? Does it provide the same services but only with different domain names?

3) Do I have to pay extra for Fantastico services like Joomla! and other things, as I don't know how to program and design my website to save my life?

4) If I am to choose the monthly payment plan ($1.95/month), do I have to remember to pay every single month? Or do you guys recommend the yearly plan? (I've got enough money for that, I think, if I don't add on any more extra stuff)

5) And what does the "Additional Required Information" all mean?

(I've put down all the questions down so you won't have to go there especially just for me) :P

Additional Required Information

Do you run a PHP-MYSQL based Dynamic Website?

Is this Site a WAP site? (we can do further optimizations)

Are your targeted userbase from a Particular Location?

Does your Website require SPECIFIC ports open/ Are you planning to host any service script that monitor special ports?

Preferred Language for Control Panel?

Thanks a lot for all your help in advance, I know how annoying it is fore new users and noobs like me to keep asking questions non-stop.

Trust me, all the books in my nearby library have absolutely nothing that I can comprehend when I tried learning website building from books.

Thanks

I'm sorry but I cant answer your first two questions - I may know the answers but I don't want to risk giving false information. So I'll just answer those which I know:

3) You don' t have to pay anything to use Fantastico and the other things such as Softaculous. They are merely auto-installers which make things a lot easier for maintaining your website. Personally I prefer Softaculous over Fantastico because the latter has old version software, and also, Softaculous gives much more choice than Fantastico and is more convenient to use. You don't have to pay a single thing to use these ;)

4) By default, the auto-payment option is tuned on in your account. This means that Xisto automatically deducts the required amount each month from your account, provided that there is enough to pay. Otherwise you get a negative balance invoice which you must clear as soon as possible. If you want you can turn off this auto-payment option but it is not at all wise because it is very convenient and there are no bugs in the system so the correct amount gets deducted automatically each month. The yearly plan is not recommended because as someone pointed out earlier, paying monthly ensures that you stay active in the forums and keep your account alive :P

5) The additional information asked is merely to provide any other options that you may like.

Do you run a PHP-MYSQL based Dynamic Website?

Set this to yes, because if not now, you are likely to put content which utilises the php language along with a database (for example- forums, blogs, etc)

Is this Site a WAP site? (we can do further optimizations)

WAP is used in cell-phones so if you want your site modified suited to cell-phones, select this option. But at this stage, there is no need for this option for you, in my opinion :P

Are your targeted userbase from a Particular Location?

If you are expecting people from a particular location to visit your site, fill this field. It is best to leave this blank or fill it with your country's name - no harm done

Does your Website require SPECIFIC ports open/ Are you planning to host any service script that monitor special ports?

I have an inkling of what this means but I better not risk it!

Preferred Language for Control Panel?

This simply asks which language you would like your website control panel to be in. If your native language is given in the list select it, or simply choose English (unless both are one and the same :D )

Thanks a lot for all your help in advance, I know how annoying it is fore new users and noobs like me to keep asking questions non-stop.

Trust me, all the books in my nearby library have absolutely nothing that I can comprehend when I tried learning website building from books.

Don't worry - the purpose of an online community is to help others in need. You may be meeting someone who doesn't know something that you know. Help them in that case and your debt is repaid :P Don't hesitate to ask when in doubt - we are all here ready to help :D
Edited by kasperooney (see edit history)

Don't worry - the purpose of an online community is to help others in need. You may be meeting someone who doesn't know something that you know. Help them in that case and your debt is repaid :P Don't hesitate to ask when in doubt - we are all here ready to help ;)

I must say though, you must be one of the most helpful and very active members around, helping people like me. I really won't know what to do without you. You reply very fast, I must say. :P

And I highly doubt I have anything that I know that you don't... you're too good, and I'm just only an average "noob" trying to build a professional website but will probably end up with a crappy looking one and just give up in the end anyway (though I'm not planning on that).

Thanks for all the help... I'll just follow whatever you put in your previous thread when I order the package... there's no need to hurry though, as my accounts still under the error "License Validation Failed." It's not working for some reason!

Apparently mine's the only account around that's having this problem, as a quick shout in the Shoutbox answered my question, and that other members on the site could access to the Xisto's Billing and Support Centre but I can't. I wonder why... I hope it's just a bug or something that will get fixed up soon. I don't think there's anything wrong that's done on my part though.

And now, I only have to wait for someone else to answer the last three questions, or give extra information and tips to the other ones...

1) I still can't log in to my account on Xisto's Support and Billing Centre, which is ironic as I'm usually required to send in a support ticket for help, but I can't do it now as I can't even log in. For some reason, I and still receiving the blank screen with the words "License Validation Failed." in the top left hand corner. My email seems fine though, and I don't know what is happening.

2) Do I have to choose Xisto for my hosting domain, or can I choose other ones, like Xysis, not because I don't support Trap (I support it 100% all the way!) But merely because it sounds better and it is easier to type and be accessed by other users across the world? Does it provide the same services but only with different domain names?

3) And what does:

mean? And what am I meant to put in the box?

And yeah... thanks.

Apparently mine's the only account around that's having this problem, as a quick shout in the Shoutbox answered my question, and that other members on the site could access to the Xisto's Billing and Support Centre but I can't. I wonder why... I hope it's just a bug or something that will get fixed up soon. I don't think there's anything wrong that's done on my part though.

You're not alone - my account is doing it to. I assume it is a temporary glitch and will get fixed soon.

1) I still can't log in to my account on Xisto's Support and Billing Centre, which is ironic as I'm usually required to send in a support ticket for help, but I can't do it now as I can't even log in. For some reason, I and still receiving the blank screen with the words "License Validation Failed." in the top left hand corner. My email seems fine though, and I don't know what is happening.

Answered above. You're not alone and it should get fixed soon (hopefully!).

2) Do I have to choose Xisto for my hosting domain, or can I choose other ones, like Xysis, not because I don't support Trap (I support it 100% all the way!) But merely because it sounds better and it is easier to type and be accessed by other users across the world? Does it provide the same services but only with different domain names?

I believe you can choose any of them from that list. They all provide exactly the same services, just a different name.

3) And what does: "Does your Website require SPECIFIC ports open/ Are you planning to host any service script that monitor special ports?"

mean? And what am I meant to put in the box?

There are some scripts and applications people run that require certain settings on the server otherwise they don't work. However, they are very few and you are unlikely to ever come across one. Just leave that box blank, or write in "No".

For the autoinstallers, I would highly suggest installing manually, so that you know what you are doing. The autoinstallers do everything for you, so you might not even know what the database's name is or what the user for the database is. Or you could run an auto installer and later on try to manually install it. So far the hardest software for me to install is mediawiki, which took about 30 minutes. Good luck with your website.

The "License Validation Failed" problem has got met too but I'm not really worried coz problems like these have occurred before and have been solved pretty soon. Hopefully it will all be over in the morning ;)

I must say though, you must be one of the most helpful and very active members around, helping people like me. I really won't know what to do without you. You reply very fast, I must say. smile.gifAnd I highly doubt I have anything that I know that you don't... you're too good, and I'm just only an average "noob" trying to build a professional website but will probably end up with a crappy looking one and just give up in the end anyway (though I'm not planning on that).

There are members who are more active and more intelligent than me - I think it's just a coincidence that I find more of your threads in the forums than others :P and I'm sure that in no time you'll get to know a lot of things too so don't worry about these things.

For the autoinstallers, I would highly suggest installing manually, so that you know what you are doing. The autoinstallers do everything for you, so you might not even know what the database's name is or what the user for the database is. Or you could run an auto installer and later on try to manually install it. So far the hardest software for me to install is mediawiki, which took about 30 minutes.

That's a good point - installing manually is a very good idea as we get to know what exactly is happening. Auto-installers are useful when you want to add something instantly to your site. I prefer to use auto-installers because they save me a lot of bandwidth. If I had to do everything manually I would have to download the software package and again upload it to my site and in all this process a lot of my bandwidth is consumed so for me the auto-installer is a good option. Oh well, to each his own!

You're not alone - my account is doing it to. I assume it is a temporary glitch and will get fixed soon.Answered above. You're not alone and it should get fixed soon (hopefully!).

I believe you can choose any of them from that list. They all provide exactly the same services, just a different name.

There are some scripts and applications people run that require certain settings on the server otherwise they don't work. However, they are very few and you are unlikely to ever come across one. Just leave that box blank, or write in "No".

For the autoinstallers, I would highly suggest installing manually, so that you know what you are doing. The autoinstallers do everything for you, so you might not even know what the database's name is or what the user for the database is. Or you could run an auto installer and later on try to manually install it. So far the hardest software for me to install is mediawiki, which took about 30 minutes.
Good luck with your website.

The "License Validation Failed" problem has got met too but I'm not really worried coz problems like these have occurred before and have been solved pretty soon. Hopefully it will all be over in the morning ;)
There are members who are more active and more intelligent than me - I think it's just a coincidence that I find more of your threads in the forums than others :P and I'm sure that in no time you'll get to know a lot of things too so don't worry about these things.

That's a good point - installing manually is a very good idea as we get to know what exactly is happening. Auto-installers are useful when you want to add something instantly to your site. I prefer to use auto-installers because they save me a lot of bandwidth. If I had to do everything manually I would have to download the software package and again upload it to my site and in all this process a lot of my bandwidth is consumed so for me the auto-installer is a good option. Oh well, to each his own!

Thanks guys... all my answers are solved! :P I just need to wait for this glitch to fix itself up (or get fixed by someone) before I start, so I may need to delay this until next Sunday until I really get started....

Auto-installer or manually install? Hmm... well, I don't want to waste a lot of bandwidth, but I think the only visitors that I'll get will be members on this site when I ask for help (again!) or when I'm ready to show it out to this forum in the Showcase section. So I might go with installing things manually before I get to auto-installers... but I think I'll turn to auto-installers after a while too, because I'll be broadcasting everywhere (school, family, other online communities that will (or might not be) interested in what my site covers), and so I'll be using a lot of bandwidth. By that time, I hope to have a self-sustaining site supported by other automatic methods of earning revenue and money online, so I can start another website if I want to.

By the way... how does auto-installers/manually installing works? What do they do? And what do you install?

You would install a software such as Wordpress, Joonla, or Simple Machines Forum. Auto installers get the data from the local server and bring it to your hosting account's directory. Manually installing would mean you would download a zip file of the software, unzip it, and upload the files. You would then open the directory that you uploaded the files to, in your web browser and follow the instructions. As for bandwidth of your site, it is nothing. If you have the standard 10GB bandwidth, 10MB is nothing.

As TheDisturbedOne said you don't need to worry about the bandwidth when installing manually. The only things you have to worry is the procedure and burden involved. As you are new to this, I suggest automatic installer (e.g, Fantastico) for you, it is very very easy to install a script through Fantastico. Once you understand how all that works, then go for manual installation. Because manual installation has lot more advantages over automatic installer. One of the best advantage is you can install the latest and updated version of the software you want to install. Automatic installers have somewhat old versions. And the other advantage is you'll have complete control over installation.So my suggestion is first go with automatic installer, and once you understood all this stuff you can go with manual installation. And we're always here to help you whenever you need.

As for bandwidth of your site, it is nothing. If you have the standard 10GB bandwidth, 10MB is nothing.

Sorry for the confusion - I didn't mean the regular website bandwidth I meant the internet usage bandwidth. I think most of you here have unlimited internet plans but my ISP gives me limited b/w every month and manually installing all software is bound to cost me a lot!

Auto-installer or manually install? Hmm... well, I don't want to waste a lot of bandwidth, but I think the only visitors that I'll get will be members on this site when I ask for help (again!) or when I'm ready to show it out to this forum in the Showcase section. So I might go with installing things manually before I get to auto-installers... but I think I'll turn to auto-installers after a while too, because I'll be broadcasting everywhere (school, family, other online communities that will (or might not be) interested in what my site covers), and so I'll be using a lot of bandwidth. By that time, I hope to have a self-sustaining site supported by other automatic methods of earning revenue and money online, so I can start another website if I want to.

Whether you install the software manually or automatically, it will not affect the amount of bandwidth your site uses. In each case you end up with the same package installed, so exactly the same pages will be generated and the same bandwidth used by each when people visit your site.

The difference comes mainly in the security and features. When you manually install a package you can make sure you have the most up-to-date version, so get all the best features and the best security available. The versions available for automatic install are often out of date (because it takes quite a while to adapt them to be suitable for automatic install) so you don't get the newest features and there are occasionally security problems with them.

As I mentioned before, I'm willing to install whatever packages you want, or walk you through the installation so you can do it yourself. Most packages also give pretty good instructions if you want to give it a go yourself, but the first time is always a little confusing.

By the way... how does auto-installers/manually installing works? What do they do? And what do you install?

An auto-installed package works by copying the required files to your web hosting account, asking you some basic setup questions, then going ahead and installing everything for you at the click of a button.

Manually installing requires you to download the required files to your computer, copy them to your hosting account, change the settings as necessary, create databases if required, and go through any setup procedures the package requires. All you 'install' is the files you copy to your hosting account, and the database if the package needs one.

Sorry for the confusion - I didn't mean the regular website bandwidth I meant the internet usage bandwidth. I think most of you here have unlimited internet plans but my ISP gives me limited b/w every month and manually installing all software is bound to cost me a lot!

Manually installing the software will cost you twice the size of the package (once to download, once to upload) assuming your bandwidth includes uploads and downloads. As most packages tend to be around 1-2MB, you should be able to get an idea of whether they will make a dent in your monthly bandwidth with your ISP or not.

Thanks guys so much for all the help!I didn't realise you have to install some required files (whatever they are and whatever they do) in order to upload your own files onto the internet though... I thought that you could just edit the script of the WYSIWYG editor that is embedded into the hosting account control panel where people change and edit their websites...But I suppose this is a good news though. Should the hosting site crash or anything, all the information will be in your computer and you'll be fine. But if your computer crashes, there will be an extra copy on the hosting company's files (I think...) and so you'll be fine too.But what if you want to or will be changing computers? (My father recently acquired a new computer that MIGHT be given to me, I don't know about his intentions at the moment regarding that computer though) Will you lose everything and have to start from scratch, or can you just copy all the files and paste it in your new computer? Just a thing I want answered.But anyway, I know that I will definitely be using the manual installer once I get used to and learn how everything works, but I'll follow with TheDisturbedOne's advice first and use the automatic installer so I can get myself all setup and all that. I'm not in the least concerned about my internets bandwidth limitation or anything, as I have unlimited Internet Connection and that's fine with me.Also, rvalkass.... what does your "basic setup questions" mean? Are they basic only for you, but also for me? Argh... I might need to ask some questions on that when the time comes too...I'm just so suprised on this forums's (I mean, forum member's patience) patience with me and my stupid questions... you guys are so nice and so kind, I'm going to be with you people until the very end!!! ;)Thank you so much!