xisto Community
Nameless_

Free Domain Help? And other questions...

It is always better to keep a backup of your website content at all times because you can never predict what will happen with your computer or maybe even the hosting company! ;) Anyway, just keep a soft copy of all the files in your site and set it aside and continue taking backups of everything, like databases, images, etc. If you have the time and energy to do a daily backup then that's the best thing possible.

It is always better to keep a backup of your website content at all times because you can never predict what will happen with your computer or maybe even the hosting company! :P Anyway, just keep a soft copy of all the files in your site and set it aside and continue taking backups of everything, like databases, images, etc. If you have the time and energy to do a daily backup then that's the best thing possible.

Sure. ;)
I actually think I might have to change computers, so I might wait until I make sure who the computer will be given to. Anyway, I will definitely be doing a backup every time I change anything on my website, as I don't think it will be too much of a hassle for me anyway.

But I really did think you could just do everything on the web, on your control panel in the hosting company's place... What are the "required files" anyway?
Is it something like Aptana Studio 1.5 or some WYDIWYG editor that is similar to Dreamweaver?

And what are the basic setup questions?

I didn't realise you have to install some required files (whatever they are and whatever they do) in order to upload your own files onto the internet though... I thought that you could just edit the script of the WYSIWYG editor that is embedded into the hosting account control panel where people change and edit their websites...

The only software you need on your computer is FTP software to transfer files to your hosting account. If you don't want to install software on your PC then there is a section of the control panel of your website that also lets you upload files to your site.

But I suppose this is a good news though. Should the hosting site crash or anything, all the information will be in your computer and you'll be fine. But if your computer crashes, there will be an extra copy on the hosting company's files (I think...) and so you'll be fine too.

A copy of your site is not automatically kept on your home computer. Perhaps I didn't really explain myself that well :P

Whether you make your site yourself by hand, or use a CMS, you still have a collection of pages that need to be uploaded (copied) to your web hosting space. The difference with a CMS is that the pages contain code that allows you to create new pages, upload images, etc. and basically run your site from inside a web browser, without having to manually make changes and upload them each time. However, because all the changes are made on the web hosting server, those changes are not stored on your home PC. It is, of course, recommended you take regular backups to ensure you have a copy of your site if anything does go wrong.

If you write the pages and code the site yourself from scratch then you will have a copy of the site saved on your PC with all the content (as you're manually typing it all in, saving it to your PC, then copying it to your web hosting space). However, deleting that copy on your PC won't affect the copy on your web space, and vice versa - the two aren't linked in any way.

But what if you want to or will be changing computers? (My father recently acquired a new computer that MIGHT be given to me, I don't know about his intentions at the moment regarding that computer though) Will you lose everything and have to start from scratch, or can you just copy all the files and paste it in your new computer? Just a thing I want answered.

Changing computers won't affect your website in any way, as all the files and information your website is using is stored on the server, not your computer. However, you'll most likely want to copy all your files to your new computer anyway so that you have access to them.

But anyway, I know that I will definitely be using the manual installer once I get used to and learn how everything works, but I'll follow with TheDisturbedOne's advice first and use the automatic installer so I can get myself all setup and all that. I'm not in the least concerned about my internets bandwidth limitation or anything, as I have unlimited Internet Connection and that's fine with me.

If you install a CMS with the automatic installer in your control panel then you can't manually install it afterwards without deleting the automatic version and losing your work. You are far better off starting with a manual install of whatever CMS you choose to use, if you use one.

If you don't use a CMS, and write all your code yourself, then you only need to upload your files to your hosting - no installation of anything required.

Also, rvalkass.... what does your "basic setup questions" mean? Are they basic only for you, but also for me? Argh... I might need to ask some questions on that when the time comes too...

Generally questions such as the site name, your email address, etc. Fairly simple questions.

I'm just so suprised on this forums's (I mean, forum member's patience) patience with me and my stupid questions... you guys are so nice and so kind, I'm going to be with you people until the very end!!! ;)

It's like learner drivers - we were all there once, and appreciated the help and patience other people gave us, so we give that same help and patience to others who are learning :P

I actually think I might have to change computers, so I might wait until I make sure who the computer will be given to. Anyway, I will definitely be doing a backup every time I change anything on my website, as I don't think it will be too much of a hassle for me anyway.

Like I said, changing computers won't affect your website in any way.

But I really did think you could just do everything on the web, on your control panel in the hosting company's place... What are the "required files" anyway?Is it something like Aptana Studio 1.5 or some WYDIWYG editor that is similar to Dreamweaver?

With a CMS, once set up, you can do everything on the web. That setup only needs to be done once, then you can control your whole site using simple controls inside your web browser.

The required files I mentioned are the files that make up your CMS of choice. If you code your site yourself (no CMS) then the 'required files' are the files that make up your site - the pages with code saved in them.

The only software you need on your computer is FTP software to transfer files to your hosting account. If you don't want to install software on your PC then there is a section of the control panel of your website that also lets you upload files to your site.

OK, I get it now... I'm better off installing a FTP software though, it sounds more pro and more efficient than directly upload my files to my site. Also, since the FTP software will be on my computer, I will have a copy on my computer, so that's a good thing. I don't mind installing software... I just need to know which software to install...
(Ones that's easy to use for beginners and with good recommendations)

Whether you make your site yourself by hand, or use a CMS, you still have a collection of pages that need to be uploaded (copied) to your web hosting space. The difference with a CMS is that the pages contain code that allows you to create new pages, upload images, etc. and basically run your site from inside a web browser, without having to manually make changes and upload them each time. However, because all the changes are made on the web hosting server, those changes are not stored on your home PC. It is, of course, recommended you take regular backups to ensure you have a copy of your site if anything does go wrong.
If you write the pages and code the site yourself from scratch then you will have a copy of the site saved on your PC with all the content (as you're manually typing it all in, saving it to your PC, then copying it to your web hosting space). However, deleting that copy on your PC won't affect the copy on your web space, and vice versa - the two aren't linked in any way.

Thanks for the explanation. So, how do you actually save your site? Do you just left click on the link and go "Save as" or something? Or do you just copy down the code from the source?

If you install a CMS with the automatic installer in your control panel then you can't manually install it afterwards without deleting the automatic version and losing your work. You are far better off starting with a manual install of whatever CMS you choose to use, if you use one.

OK... manual installation then. I want things right on the first go... I'm a perfectionist, you know... (maybe a little teeny weeny bit on the obsessive side) (For some reason, I can't seem to find any books in the library on how to use CMSs like Fantastico and Joomla! and all that. That's really strange because my nearby library is one of the biggest libraries around. I couldn't find any books on how to make money online either.)

If you don't use a CMS, and write all your code yourself, then you only need to upload your files to your hosting - no installation of anything required.

I'd do that if I can code... but I can't code to save my life. :P

It's like learner drivers - we were all there once, and appreciated the help and patience other people gave us, so we give that same help and patience to others who are learning ;)

I must say, I'm a very stupid driver then. I don't see anyone else asking as many what many pro people might think as "stupid" questions here on the forums... maybe it's because I want everything to be right before I begin. I'm scared to failing and everything... I usually read a lot of books and do a lot of research on things before I actually start (which I might not do after all that work). Just to let you know, I spent like three years reading up on HTML and trying to get my head around CSS (I still don't get it), and I've only recently thought I should just start anyway as I might never ever end up finishing my dream.

With a CMS, once set up, you can do everything on the web. That setup only needs to be done once, then you can control your whole site using simple controls inside your web browser.
The required files I mentioned are the files that make up your CMS of choice. If you code your site yourself (no CMS) then the 'required files' are the files that make up your site - the pages with code saved in them.

OK, thanks for all the information... I hope my questions haven't bother you (or any bystanders that constantly sees my threads popping up here and there and everywhere). I believe I do know what a CMS is... I think. I'll do my best on everything. :P