xisto Community
Dodger

The Most Idiotic Thing You Heard A Christian Say

Do not take offense this is just my opinion not a fact but i will use some facts to back up my opinions.99% of the religions out there actually i will say 100% of them are used to foster money from it's believers and it used as a "scare tactic" to keep control on the human population. Think about it, if you have it embedded into your brain that if you kill someone your going to suffer an unimaginable horrible burning in hell in your after life since your not enlightened or experienced in the after life and feel this could be very true would you do it?I do believe there is a higher being that created us and has steps outlayed for us to return to him, going to church is not one of those steps in the bible it says Lift a rock and you will find me. so why do we need to go to this "place of worship" if we can find him under a rock. Now I won't say you can rely on the bible because we don't have the full story the Christian religion has admitted to withholding approxiamately 20 books or chapters from the bible. Not to mention it is interpreted by humans and to error is human so how do we know these translations are accurate? As for quotes or something said from a religous person i found ridiculous well simply put almost all religions bashed my religion i was raised in while growing up and that was Latter Day Saint (mormons) mind you not the reformed mormons who practice polygomy (spelling) but they always, christians included, wanted to say your religion is wrong because you have other books, doctrine and convenants & the pearl of great price, so you can't be right but if you read close to last verse in John i think it is it says "If all his works were written not even all the libraries in the world could contain them." I feel as i have stated there is a higher being and there is a heaven and hell but not to the extent that the holy rollers want to make you believe. We are all a part of this higher being made from him/her and will return to them when our time comes for us to be told wether we will live out our eternal after life with everyone in heaven or to suffer in hell.Who knows hell could be just your worst nightmare you have ever had lived repeatedly and heaven could be the most glorious thing you could ever imagine in your own mind.It has not been told to us what either of them are and no one has been there and come back except the one we will return to when it is time to be judged.I appologize again if I offended anyone for that was not my intentions it was to state my opinions about the quote of someone and the religious beliefs in general without opening another topic and starting a whole new ordeal in there.Be safe and live well.

one thing I've always thought about when considering heaven and hell...First, I have to point out that I am not religious... so what are the requirements to get into heaven? You basically have to live by the "rules" and TRY not to break them. Many believe that even if you break the rules (sin) you still have a chance to get into heaven if you repent because god is forgiving (at times).Next question is, what are considered sins? Well, there are many. Let's look at my favorite deadly sin... LUST. If you commit this sin, you are going straight to hell... Sex for pleasure is a sin (technically), but many people enjoy this...Here's the conundrum... if lust is a sin, then OBVIOUSLY it would not be in heaven. Does that mean it is acceptable in hell? All these people who have sex for pleasure are in hell... does that mean hell is one big orgy? Why would people want to go to heaven if you couldn't do the things you liked?LOL... obviously this is a slightly fecetious post. But the message really is... what's so good about heaven if everything pleasurable is a sin?

What Jesus said is a metaphor. A camel cannot pass through the eye of a needle - it is impossible. Hence, if this is easier, it means that a rich man cannot enter the kingdom of God. I think that's clear and simple. Mark 10, where this is from, is about how people must not be rich and not share. Jesus told a man to sell all his posessions and give away his money. But I'm not going to get into it, I don't think this is necessary or worthwhile...

47993[/snapback]

Okay, well I still say there's a narrow passage in Jerusalem that was called, at the time, The Eye of The Needle, but lets assume you're correct. He was reffering to a real needle. It's impossible for a camel to go through a real needle eye right? Why did you stop there? Let's keep going as long as we're quoting the Bible. It was irrelevant so I didn't say anything earlier but the quote you gave is actually two verses, Mark 10:24 and 10:25. Now in the next verse, 10:26, Jesus's disciples were amazed and asked him who could possibly go to heaven if it's easier to shove a camel through a needle eye. In 10:27 Jesus answers "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." If you believe in God then how can you think He can't do pretty much anything he wants, even put a camel through the eye of a needle?

I have no idea how much money Bush makes, and no one but his inner circle of people do either I'm sure. Of course, when I said he maybe makes $10,000 a day, I was being semi-sarcastic, but knowing that he's a big business man (he owns companies and doesn't even know about it, such as that lumber company which was mentioned in the second debate between him and Kerry) it's certainly possible that he can make $3.5 million a year. The point is that he's rich, and he's greedy (for more reasons than I state here). Therefore, according to the Bible, he's a bad Christian.

I'm not a Christian myself, so I really don't care so much about his personal worth as a "God-fearing man" and I'm not at all preaching anything here. I just hate how articifial it is... people believe that he's really a good Christian. I think it's nothing more than a label and method of control for him, which helps him get the support of his Christian "sheep".

Yes, his $10,000 contribution was his own money - the President can't just give away federal money. Congress did approve of $350,000,000 though.

47993[/snapback]

Again, I don't think you can't be rich and a good Christian at the same time. It's hard because you can do pretty much anything you want in this world with money. If you have a lot of it you may start to think of money as power and the giver of all things instead of God. It takes great discipline not to, I would think, but it can be done. If rich Christians keep their worship directed at God instead of their money then God can bring them into Heaven as easily as he can make a camel go through the eye of a needle.

Yeah, I had a substitute at my religion class one day and she told everyone to gather around and pray. So everyone got up to our seats and we said "Our Father" and "Hail Mary" or something, and then she's like "And let us pray that the Yankees win tonight," instead of actually praying for something like world peace.

on the same note, I heard a couple of my friends say, since the religion school I go to once a week is also a regular 1st-8th grade building in the daytime, that when our town was having school elections, almost the whole school voted for George Dubya. That's kind of scary since he started a war, you know, and killed tons of Iraqies.

oh wait....another dumb thing said by a Christian (although this guy was pretty cool otherwise), who spoke at the retreat my class went to: (and I'm paraphrasing)

Guy: "You know what the worst Genocide is?"

Kid: "The KKK?"

Guy: "Well, the KKK is an evil group, yes."

Kid: "Hitler?"

Guy: "Yes, Hitler's genocide was horrible, but there is an even worse one taking place in the United States. Abortion."

But remember homies, not all Christians don't really know their religion. check out http://www.bruderhof.com/ . They're a group of Omish-like Christians who I visited who are really nice and they know how to practice Christianity.

99% of the religions out there actually i will say 100% of them are used to foster money from it's believers and it used as a "scare tactic" to keep control on the human population.

Think about it, if you have it embedded into your brain that if you kill someone your going to suffer an unimaginable horrible burning in hell in your after life since your not enlightened or experienced in the after life and feel this could be very true would you do it?

This isn't really true. Buddhism (my religion that I'm going to convert to after Comfirmation) has no real god. And there's no heaven or hell involved. Also, I was reading the Malcolm X biography and how certain parts of the Muslim religion have no heaven or hell. So this is false. Of course, there are fake kind of buddhism where they pray to buddha and worship him, etc., but in real buddhism he is seen as a teacher.

My friend said: "I like George Bush because he is Christian"

My friend said:      "I like George Bush because he is Christian"

130266[/snapback]

That's exactly why a lot of Christians voted for Bush instead of Kerry in the November election - Bush has better moral values then Kerry.

"Sex before marriage is a sin?"A girl I know who's a bit of a sick creep, but who also *says* she's strictly Christian said that to me a few weeks ago... She attends mass and is part of a youth group at her church, then she proceeded to say that basically her whole youth group has sinned... :o

"Bush has better moral values than Kerry"Morals are a matter of opinion and interpretation, therefore the term "better" cannot be used in conjunction with something that is abstract and up to a person's own decision. The correct way to phrase that would have been that Bush won because his morals and values are more popular than Kerry's, or at least with the voting percentage of Americans (which is roughly half.)As far as religion being a movement to foster up money, thats just kind of silly. The doctrine of any religion is free. Its the person themselves that choose to donate money, buy books, religious ornaments, etc. I have books in Christianity, Judaism, Kabballism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, and countless other religions that I got free by going to their place of worship and simply asking. Yes, there are people out there that try to put price tags on divinity, but the same goes with everything else in this world; its not just religion that charges for admission. And for the record, Trystim, your argument about burning in hell for killing someone is flawed. The basis of Christianity is that, not only are all sins equal (thus lying is equal to killing) but that if you accept Christ as your personal savior you are forgiven for all sins.That being said, I have one major opposition to most of Christianity/Judaism/Islam; the basis of the beginning. I think a person has to doubt the story thats put forth. If God were perfect and infallible, and he created the world and Adam and Eve in his image, why did they turn away from him? "Free Will" a person would say. However, I think it unfair for God to turn around and blame humanity for the flaw that he included in their design by sentencing them to hell if they didn't ask forgiveness for the imperfection THAT HE CREATED IN THEM. The entire concept is almost one big universal guilt trip; God creates people, people sin, God blames people for sinning. Shouldn't the creater be held accountable for imperfections in the creation?Just my own personal meditations on this.

"Bush has better moral values than Kerry"

Morals are a matter of opinion and interpretation, therefore the term "better" cannot be used in conjunction with something that is abstract and up to a person's own decision.  The correct way to phrase that would have been that Bush won because his morals and values are more popular than Kerry's, or at least with the voting percentage of Americans (which is roughly half.)

As far as religion being a movement to foster up money, thats just kind of silly.  The doctrine of any religion is free.  Its the person themselves that choose to donate money, buy books, religious ornaments, etc.  I have books in Christianity, Judaism, Kabballism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, and countless other religions that I got free by going to their place of worship and simply asking.  Yes, there are people out there that try to put price tags on divinity, but the same goes with everything else in this world; its not just religion that charges for admission.  And for the record, Trystim, your argument about burning in hell for killing someone is flawed.  The basis of Christianity is that, not only are all sins equal (thus lying is equal to killing) but that if you accept Christ as your personal savior you are forgiven for all sins.

That being said, I have one major opposition to most of Christianity/Judaism/Islam; the basis of the beginning.  I think a person has to doubt the story thats put forth.  If God were perfect and infallible, and he created the world and Adam and Eve in his image, why did they turn away from him?  "Free Will" a person would say.  However, I think it unfair for God to turn around and blame humanity for the flaw that he included in their design by sentencing them to hell if they didn't ask forgiveness for the imperfection THAT HE CREATED IN THEM.  The entire concept is almost one big universal guilt trip;  God creates people, people sin, God blames people for sinning.  Shouldn't the creater be held accountable for imperfections in the creation?

Just my own personal meditations on this.

131616[/snapback]

I was reading a book called Ishmael and it explained what the whole Adam and Eve thing means. You should read it. It's not set in some never never land, it really represents Herders fighting against Agriculture. Yeauuuhhhp. Besides that, you homies should read it because it gives lot of ideas on understanding/saving the world.

What the title says. What's the stupidest and most asinine statement you've ever heard from a Christian?

The pastor at the church my mother drags me too has said some truly dumb things in the past, to the point where I was both pissed off and saddened about the religion. Here are a few (paraphrased).

A. "People say that the pastor brainwashes people. They're right. My job as a pastor is to wash your brain."

B. "Ever since you were born, you sinned."

46039[/snapback]

Do you realize Dodger hasn't said a word (replied) or participated on this heated discussion? I wonder if he/she posted this thread to get some hosting credits. You never know--start the spark and let others keep the fire going by fueling it.

What Jesus said is a metaphor. A camel cannot pass through the eye of a needle - it is impossible. Hence, if this is easier, it means that a rich man cannot enter the kingdom of God. I think that's clear and simple. Mark 10, where this is from, is about how people must not be rich and not share. Jesus told a man to sell all his posessions and give away his money. But I'm not going to get into it, I don't think this is necessary or worthwhile...

47993[/snapback]

that gate called the eye of the needle was so small that a man had to stoop to enter. how much more so a camel? it makes perfect sense.

obviously the rich man was more attached to his possessions. not unlike many rich people today. I don't know about you, but as a christian, i believe in rewards in heaven. what do you think, that we're all going to go there and recieve the same compensation? then why try here on earth?

continuing that train of thought, then the rich (in general), who comparatively do the least for God, will be the least rewarded in heaven. For those who know their New testament, a fitting parallel can be found in the parable of the rich fool.

one things I get annoyed from a Christian is like teenagers who abuse it. Like they sneak out and lie to their parents and then come home saying God told them to do that or he let me do that that's why he gave me an oppurtunity to sneak out lol. Stupidness. And then they keep doing that and saying they'll get padoned if they pray. its like making a mistake and using money to cover it up. just ignorant and teen rebellious.

I'm just wondering if this was a very nice thing to do, to make a topic on just what Christians say. What about Buddhists, Atheists, Muslims, or Hindus?Why imply that only Christians say idiotic things?Why not create a topic "The Most Idiotic Thing Someone Has Said?" instead?Just wondering if you're not bringing your own bias to the community here. I've had such a wonderful experience so far, I'd hate for things to deteriorate.While there hasn't been any flaming, I'm just politely reminding everyone to be considerate and open-minded.Cheers. -_-

Do you realize Dodger hasn't said a word (replied) or participated on this heated discussion?  I wonder if he/she posted this thread to get some hosting credits.  You never know--start the spark and let others keep the fire going by fueling it.

136482[/snapback]

Well i did bring the thread back to life as it was fairly old. Technically i sorta caused it to be a heated discussion by bringing it back. I really enjoy reading things about peoples beliefs and all. I found this and found it quite interesting..