xisto Community
Dodger

The Most Idiotic Thing You Heard A Christian Say

Idiotic might not be the word word, but I have encountered a number of "extreme" religious people preaching on the streets on on subway trains. There was one time where this called who called himself "The Tin Man" (looked like it, too) and was basically yelling about God being angry with people in our society, people sinning, etc. I just remember him though, not really what he said. When he finally got off, everyone just laughed out loud--it was so funny.

my previous post.. yes, the infamous George Jr.

As for Thoughtvoid, I'm not sure what you are trying to say in your post.  Being an athiest simply means you don't believe in a higher being.  Why then would you mock someone who has faith?  Why is it blatently ignorant to have faith in something?

You may call me ignorant for this but... I personally believe calling someone ignorant for having faith or even having religious beliefs is ignorant.

46517[/snapback]

I guess I wasn't clear. The best example I can think of right now is the world being created in 7 days. So this would be the "X" in my formula. Therefore the conversation goes something like this:

"Do you really believe the earth was created in 7 days?"

"Yes"

"How do you know?"

"The bible says so."

"How can you trust such an old, highly translated doctument that suggests someting so implausible as an explanatino for the creation of earth?"

"Faith"

This is the conversation that I was refrencing. You could put almost anything in for "X" and the situation would still probibly follow relatively close.

This is just as bad as racism, sexism and fat bashing. So if you wonder why Im staying off this topic, thats why. Its not right. Its good to know who's who around here though. :D

Zentron,

Please carefully read the reply above that I wrote to Dodger and I think you'll get my thoughts on this subject.

God's Peace,

Byrdhouse

46581[/snapback]

I read and I can say this, I was the opposite of you, when I was young, I used to enjoy going to church on Sunday, heck, I even looked forward to going to church on Sunday, now, I look back on myself and say, "you moron!" Jesus was just a man, with a good idea and ran with it.

What brings you to this conclusion?

47425[/snapback]

I thought it was obvious, he didn't like the state of things and tried to change them, becoming the new christ(aka the Messiah, Son of God etc) was one of the best ways to do it, but he just cause a bit too much noise and got killed for it by the Romans!

I thought it was obvious, he didn't like the state of things and tried to change them, becoming the new christ(aka the Messiah, Son of God etc) was one of the best ways to do it, but he just cause a bit too much noise and got killed for it by the Romans!

47448[/snapback]

Yes, it's obvious what you believe. That's not what I asked. What I'm trying to find out is why you believe what you believe.

Yes, it's obvious what you believe.  That's not what I asked.  What I'm trying to find out is why you believe what you believe.

47452[/snapback]

Ah, yeh, soz, my bad!! Just from reading the second testament mainly, plus I just stopped swallowing everything I heard regardlessly.

Ah, yeh, soz, my bad!!  Just from reading the second testament mainly, plus I just stopped swallowing everything I heard regardlessly.

47460[/snapback]

The reason I ask is because I don't think Christians are as idiotic as this thread makes them out to be. Granted, some Christians may be idiotic, but the Christian faith itself is not.

By "second testament" you mean what...The Book of Mormon? When you say you stopped swallowing everything you heard regardlessly I assume you mean you starting thinking rationally and logically about the things you were hearing and somehow concluded they were false. What brought you to this conclusion?

The reason I ask is because I don't think Christians are as idiotic as this thread makes them out to be.  Granted, some Christians may be idiotic, but the Christian faith itself is not. 

By "second testament" you mean what...The Book of Mormon?  When you say you stopped swallowing everything you heard regardlessly I assume you mean you starting thinking rationally and logically about the things you were hearing and somehow concluded they were false.  What brought you to this conclusion?

47469[/snapback]

Well, I do think it is idiotic(now) and most Christians bible bash without even knowing it(and a lot of the cr*p said is mostly just that).

Sorry, force of habit, I meant the 'New Testament'(I always call it the second testament for some reason), soz for confusing ye. Yes I started thinking rationally and questions much of what I heard, but it's the religion I think is false, not the man. Like I said, he was a guy who didn't like what he saw, tried to change things, then after he snuffs it, some mong comes along and creates a religion out of his ideas. He was just the biggest and best institutional rebel of his times, not some son of the almighty.

Rather than a stupid thing that a "Christian" has said, I'll tell you of the stupid things that "Christians" are. But first a quote from the Bible.Mark 10:24 "How easy is it for a man to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."And I'm sure you all know where I'm going with this. Yes, that's right! There are so many rich, rich, RICH, RICH "Christians" out there. And ah yes, my favorite is the infamous G.W. Bush. Dictating away to the country what he thinks is right for all - issues of abortion and gay marriage - while he decieves himself as being Christians by ignoring the parts of the Bible that don't agree with his own interests.So rich as he is, he was generous enough (extreme sarcasm) to contribute $10,000 to the Tsunami aid while he asked the citizens to contribute their own money. Yeah, he probably makes and spends $10,000 every day...

Well, I do think it is idiotic(now) and most Christians bible bash without even knowing it(and a lot of the cr*p said is mostly just that).

Sorry, force of habit, I meant the 'New Testament'(I always call it the second testament for some reason), soz for confusing ye.  Yes I started thinking rationally and questions much of what I heard, but it's the religion I think is false, not the man. Like I said, he was a guy who didn't like what he saw, tried to change things, then after he snuffs it, some mong comes along and creates a religion out of his ideas.  He was just the biggest and best institutional rebel of his times, not some son of the almighty.

47504[/snapback]

Again, you're telling me a lot about what you believe and nothing about why you believe it. Is it just because you think it sounds stupid or do you have actual reasons?

Rather than a stupid thing that a "Christian" has said, I'll tell you of the stupid things that "Christians" are. But first a quote from the Bible.

Mark 10:24 "How easy is it for a man to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

And I'm sure you all know where I'm going with this. Yes, that's right! There are so many rich, rich, RICH, RICH "Christians" out there. And ah yes, my favorite is the infamous G.W. Bush. Dictating away to the country what he thinks is right for all - issues of abortion and gay marriage - while he decieves himself as being Christians by ignoring the parts of the Bible that don't agree with his own interests.

So rich as he is, he was generous enough (extreme sarcasm) to contribute $10,000 to the Tsunami aid while he asked the citizens to contribute their own money. Yeah, he probably makes and spends $10,000 every day...

47534[/snapback]

That quote does not say you can't be rich and be a Christian at the same time. It sounds impossible for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, but it's not talking about a real needle. There's a passage somewhere, in Isreal I believe, that is very narrow and hard to ride through on a camel. I can research where this is for you if you'd like and get back to you. The quote simply says that it is difficult for a rich man to go to Heaven, not impossible. Most people with money are arrogant, stuck up, snobs. They, therefore, do not posess Christian morals and it is very difficult for them to change their ways. Some rich folks, however, realize this difficulty and try to keep themselves in check.

Oh, and about the President. $10,000 a day is a little over $3.5 million a year. If you think he makes that much you're crazy. He may make that much through investments and such, though I highly doubt it, but it's not just from being the President. I didn't know he contributed $10,000, but I'm fairly sure that if he did then it was his own money and not the governments so him asking everyone to contribute is not hypocritical.

That quote does not say you can't be rich and be a Christian at the same time.  It sounds impossible for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, but it's not talking about a real needle.  There's a passage somewhere, in Isreal I believe, that is very narrow and hard to ride through on a camel.  I can research where this is for you if you'd like and get back to you.  The quote simply says that it is difficult for a rich man to go to Heaven, not impossible.  Most people with money are arrogant, stuck up, snobs.  They, therefore, do not posess Christian morals and it is very difficult for them to change their ways.  Some rich folks, however, realize this difficulty and try to keep themselves in check.

Oh, and about the President.  $10,000 a day is a little over $3.5 million a year.  If you think he makes that much you're crazy.  He may make that much through investments and such, though I highly doubt it, but it's not just from being the President.  I didn't know he contributed $10,000, but I'm fairly sure that if he did then it was his own money and not the governments so him asking everyone to contribute is not hypocritical.

47910[/snapback]

What Jesus said is a metaphor. A camel cannot pass through the eye of a needle - it is impossible. Hence, if this is easier, it means that a rich man cannot enter the kingdom of God. I think that's clear and simple. Mark 10, where this is from, is about how people must not be rich and not share. Jesus told a man to sell all his posessions and give away his money. But I'm not going to get into it, I don't think this is necessary or worthwhile...

I have no idea how much money Bush makes, and no one but his inner circle of people do either I'm sure. Of course, when I said he maybe makes $10,000 a day, I was being semi-sarcastic, but knowing that he's a big business man (he owns companies and doesn't even know about it, such as that lumber company which was mentioned in the second debate between him and Kerry) it's certainly possible that he can make $3.5 million a year. The point is that he's rich, and he's greedy (for more reasons than I state here). Therefore, according to the Bible, he's a bad Christian.

I'm not a Christian myself, so I really don't care so much about his personal worth as a "God-fearing man" and I'm not at all preaching anything here. I just hate how articifial it is... people believe that he's really a good Christian. I think it's nothing more than a label and method of control for him, which helps him get the support of his Christian "sheep".

Yes, his $10,000 contribution was his own money - the President can't just give away federal money. Congress did approve of $350,000,000 though.

Again, you're telling me a lot about what you believe and nothing about why you believe it.  Is it just because you think it sounds stupid or do you have actual reasons?

47905[/snapback]

Not something I can answer properly with mere words, I just noticed stuff and fell away from the almighty c*ck-&-bull I was being fed.

Best I can do, soz!