xisto Community
brandonjbegle

Best Laptop Brand Which one?

The laptop brand I would suggest as being the "best" has changed recently.A few months ago I would have strongly recommended HP as the first choice, but that is no longer (they have been screwing over their customers left and right).Acer was my next favorite but they have turned me against them as well.So I would go with Sony or Toshiba. Both of these are quality companies and as far as I know both give pretty good support.As for my issue with HP, they won't accept fault for hardware failures that happen with ALL of their laptops of certain models (such as Tx1000). Instead, they claimed over the phone that "even if 30,000 people called us, that would only represent 5% of our total sales, maximum. Therefore that still does not prove that our hardware has issues." This is including the fact that they have 3 other laptop models with the SAME motherboard issues that were all recalled -- how the motherboard would fail in 3/4 models and they claim it isn't failing in the fourth is beyond me. But I would never trust them again.

again, i would go with toshiba any day of the year. they have recently made a name for themselve and the quality laptops they produce. this is why in the last year or so, the price of toshiba laptops have increased. people realized the quality and the good repair history and started buying toshiba.

again, i would go with toshiba any day of the year. they have recently made a name for themselve and the quality laptops they produce. this is why in the last year or so, the price of toshiba laptops have increased. people realized the quality and the good repair history and started buying toshiba.

I thought the prices have been going down, not up.

And I have never owned a Toshiba but I do like their looks. My only issue is not finding one that fits my exact needs at the time. For example, ram amount/speed, CPU types, etc.

They do have some pretty decent laptops in the $300-400 range though!

I think laptops are all pretty good. Brand may not matter a great deal. Laptops are electronic devices with basically no moving parts. So, they are quite reliable. In that sense, they are all pretty good in quality.In terms of specific brands, I think Dell is very good and HP used to be very good. After HP and Compaq merged, the HP you get might be a Compaq. I am not sure about the Compaq brand. A lot of people like Apple products, but they are too richly priced.

Never choose your laptop depending on its brand because you have done just wrong, i have dell laptop for 3 years and it is completely healthy right now even with daily use of 10 hour, so it is a good brand but my friend has a sony from 4 years ago and it is still completely healthy without any problem and my dad has a HP form 6 years ago ! he is not using it but i have tested it and it is completely healthy too so what can we say about brands ? my answer all of them are nice but sometimes they broke even the best brand but most of them are great in warranty and they will fix it for you like the first day.my suggestion is first try to see the laptop you want to buy has any major problem or not, i mean some series of some manufactures have a specific problem like overheating or bad battery or something like this but it doesn't mean that all laptops of that brand are having problems. just a good example was nokia 5800 with LCD brake down which happened for tousends of peoples but it doesn't mean nokia is a bad brand, this thing is true for laptops too so first check to see if model you have chosen is having any general problem if not then go for it. The only thing which i think is important is to not to buy any fake brand, in our local shop i can find HP netbooks with models that never exist on HP website so they are completely fake, they are cheap rubbishes which has been built in china for those importers who want to make money from unconscious peoples. so pick your interested model from website of the manufacture and never get unknown models. you can easily detect a fake brand most of them do not have a detailed brochure and they usually have very cheap and low quality plastic body an the best way to know if it is fake or not is the price because most of them are very 20 - 30 percent cheaper than other models with same specifications. And in the end the most important thing is price/performance so choose your laptop with best price/performance and know what brands are popular then here they are : Sony , Dell , Acer , HP , Asus , Tooshiba , Fujitso Siemens , Lenovo(IBM) and the one i do not suggest Apple :D . go for whatever you like and most of them will not brake in their first 5 years and after that you will probably go for another laptop because the previous one is old enough.

Never choose your laptop depending on its brand because you have done just wrong...

I would partially disagree with that statement. Choosing a laptop for the brand without a reason is a very bad idea (such as the people who buy an Apple product "because it's Apple"). However, choosing a brand because you know it to be reliable, well-built, has good after-sales support, etc. can be a very good idea. It's the reason I bought an HP monitor for my PC rather than one from a company I'd never heard of. It had good reviews, was incredibly well built, backed by a good warranty and from a brand I know will most probably still be there a few years down the line. Exactly the same applies to a laptop purchase - I'd want something that will still be working in a few years time, and a company with a history of excellent build quality and good after-sales is a good choice.

my suggestion is first try to see the laptop you want to buy has any major problem or not...

This is something I do agree with. Everyone has heard of Apple's massive screwup with antennas in their phones, which is something that is specific to a particular product. Certain models of laptops might have problems with cooling or performance, or a poor batch of RAM might have got through. Who knows? But problems do occur even for the best companies, so checking out reviews is a vital step of any major purchase.

Some of the really great brands don't exist any more. I had an ALR Dart 12 that ran perfectly well except for the hard disk drive that got fried - it still lives somewhere because my spidey sense says so. Then, there's AST that made a really cool 386 laptop that ran for well over a decade before the LCD panel went berserk but it still runs with an external monitor.My love for Lenovo's Thinkpad series (which was previously sold by IBM) has been expressed on the forum in the past.Although Lenovo took over the Thinkpad brand, the T-series still has a build quality comparable to the original Thinkpads that IBM minted out of its factories. Lenovo introduced the Thinkpad SL-series that many will associate with the Lenovo 3000 series after a glimpse at the LED indicators. The Thinkpad Edge series is a departure from the traditional Thinkpad design and I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but it still has the Thinkpad feel with the TrackPoint (I choose my Thinkpads for the TrackPoint and would accept nothing less).I don't really know what it is about the chicklet designs for the keyboard that manufacturers these days are crazy about, but I guess they are built to last longer. With the traditional keyboards, you could get a bracelet stuck between the keys and yanking it out would get a key or two out along with the bracelet (Yes, it DID happen!).If you do want to choose a solidly built laptop, go with a Thinkpad T-series (or a W-series, if you can afford to shell out what it says on the price tag) or a MacBook Pro with the unibody aluminium casing if you want to go with an Apple. If you do want to take a chance with Panasonic, do try their ToughBook; I didn't get to try a ToughBook yet but from the online reviews, they really are worth the price tag if you don't have a desk to run your notebook on.

Definitely without any remorse, I would get Alienware stuff... They're making the best gaming and most powerful laptops ever built with all possible hardware on the market. They also make very cool designs like neon laptop keyboards, gaming PC keyboards, gaming PC mouses and everything that it's connected with gaming. The prices normally are bit higher from the stock laptops and gear but believe me, it worths every cent.

@bojaxAlienWare is great! They even attach a customized engraved name plate to the base of the notebook to make you feel that you are getting your money's worth. But are you really? You can get a desktop that does what the notebook does for half the price but then I guess you are paying for the mobility and the convenience that having a notebook has to offer.Just as Dell sells AlienWare, there is the Qosmio from Toshiba, and there is the Thinkpad W-series from Lenovo. You don't get the bang for the buck, but you get the ultimate in notebook computing (back in the day, we would call that mobile computing, but the term applies to personal digital assistants, tablets, and cell phones now).My choice is something that lasts - the Thinkpad T-series is for me, till I can afford to get the Thinkpad W-series.

@bojax
AlienWare is great! They even attach a customized engraved name plate to the base of the notebook to make you feel that you are getting your money's worth. But are you really? You can get a desktop that does what the notebook does for half the price but then I guess you are paying for the mobility and the convenience that having a notebook has to offer.

Just as Dell sells AlienWare, there is the Qosmio from Toshiba, and there is the Thinkpad W-series from Lenovo. You don't get the bang for the buck, but you get the ultimate in notebook computing (back in the day, we would call that mobile computing, but the term applies to personal digital assistants, tablets, and cell phones now).

My choice is something that lasts - the Thinkpad T-series is for me, till I can afford to get the Thinkpad W-series.

Jeez. Alien ware is just bloated crap that dell says is gaming-ware. so what if it has a engraving in it? you could make the same thing your car key on your laptop... lol just kidding but you can have customized to any laptop you want (if you can find a store that does it o-o). they mass produce cool looking covers and alien logos and paste it over a computer with high specs. do you really need that? I see if you are really into gaming, go make your own customized gaming computer (or order directpc or gamepc.com) with all the specs that you need (ask about them here in Xisto or a forum dedicated to gaming or making computers). After that just buy a cool looking computer cover (with an engraving you want) and fix it on (or in a desktop just replace the covers and stuff.... more work though). And there you have it... pretty much an alienware computer but for like 70% or less money spent on it. I'm sure you can find a guide somewhere that teaches you to order/make a alienware spec computer for really cheap, just search the net man.

But instead of all this stuff, i recommend walking into your nearest Best Buy and picking a good computer (after having researched about it,mind you), in the end its going to be outdated/broken/slow in the next few years unless you spend even MORE money it.

Jeez. Alien ware is just bloated crap that dell says is gaming-ware. so what if it has a engraving in it? you could make the same thing your car key on your laptop... lol just kidding but you can have customized to any laptop you want (if you can find a store that does it o-o). they mass produce cool looking covers and alien logos and paste it over a computer with high specs. do you really need that? I see if you are really into gaming, go make your own customized gaming computer (or order directpc or gamepc.com) with all the specs that you need (ask about them here in Xisto or a forum dedicated to gaming or making computers). After that just buy a cool looking computer cover (with an engraving you want) and fix it on (or in a desktop just replace the covers and stuff.... more work though). And there you have it... pretty much an alienware computer but for like 70% or less money spent on it. I'm sure you can find a guide somewhere that teaches you to order/make a alienware spec computer for really cheap, just search the net man.
But instead of all this stuff, i recommend walking into your nearest Best Buy and picking a good computer (after having researched about it,mind you), in the end its going to be outdated/broken/slow in the next few years unless you spend even MORE money it.

The whole point of Alienware gaming laptops is to be portable. Yes, you can buy a more powerful PC for half price but you can't move it from your desk. Their battery holds for 3 hours or maybe more and with the laptop you can play where and when you want. They are very useful if you are traveling a lot and you're a gamer. :)

What is the best main stream laptop brand under $1000? Well, I suppose best means best combination of design, functionality, reliability, cost and so on. I think Dell is the best. Its cost is low and everything else is fine. I've had good experience with Dell. Lenovo or IBM seems pretty good at first, but the one I have has problems. For some reason, it does not run Microsoft Office well. Though the problem can probably be fixed, it is not big enough to spend the time to have it fixed. The cost is so so. Apple is stylish but very pricy. Hewlett Packard is a great brand. But, nowadays I don't know how to tell whether a laptop is HP or old Compaq. Maybe they are all Compaq. I have never used an HP laptop. I don't think Sony is main stream.

AlienWare may be overpriced, but it is the best you can get without having to do any DIY. Custom stickers do let you turn your laptop into a monstrous beast but the specs that AlienWare offers are not something you would find in a mainstream laptop. There are some custom laptop builders who can hook you up with a portable gaming rig but you would not have access to the worldwide service network. A desktop gaming rig is easy to assembly but when it comes to laptops, the manufacturer usually does not provide the flexibility for you to pick parts for your order except for the standard replaceable parts (RAM, hard disk drive, and one or two expansion cards).If there is something in particular that you are looking for, you can get laptops with up to 8GB memory and 1.5TB hard disk drives but if you are looking for RAID disk arrays, high end graphic cards and all the works, you simply can't find it all in a single brand at an affordable price. Dell's AlienWare and Thinkpad's W-series are specialty laptops that are available all over the world and so are most recommended when money isn't a matter.For a budget laptop of under $1,000, you could consider a Sony Vaio E-series. The other Sony Vaio laptops are overpriced and you can consider a Lenovo Ideapad if you are looking for alternatives.