xisto Community
berryblitz

Should A 2 1/2 Yr Old Start Schooling? Prep-Nursery Level

I believe the earlier the better, not only for the schooling but the social interaction, I think the more social interaction kids get earlier in life the better they will become in situations and, just be more friendly tbh, although, there's a chance that if one of the other kids are sick, your child will become sick aswell so watch out.The best thing you can do before you send your child off to school or preschool is teach them the basics yourself, like colors, counting, the alphabet, and most important. the must be able to spell their name and know their address and telephone number. and they must be potty trained lolI know first hand what it means to not have social interaction, I was adopted and... let's just say I wasn't my parents favorite child, they basically kept me in a bubble my whole life and I didn't have any real life friends (still don't due to that reason) after they were threatened to be reported for me not being in school they sent me to a private Christen School when I was 12, I went there starting in the 5th grade which was really hard because I never been to school, and socially I was starving for attention and someone to talk to because I had never been around other kids. I really was a complete nerd. but anyway, after finishing the 5th grade I got kicked out because.. tbh I didn't act Christen because I'm an aithiest. and even now at 16 I still have only a 5th grade education.... the point is the more social interaction they get, the better and they need to get a proper education to get ahead in life.

I started school when i was 4 1/2 and I didn't suffer any great damage. But that was in the 70s... so things were different. Currently my son is 2 1/2 and he already knows his alphabet, numbers, shapes and colors. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna put him into school. He is getting plenty of early education here at home from his mom and me. I think that development of a child's character is much more important than their education. School teaches up certain things, math, language skills, etc. But life teaches us so much more, like skills. You are only in school for 12 years of your life, and each year is only 9 months. So life skills need to be learned as well.

Most people here start schooling at age 3 and while some join kindergarten, some are admitted into pre-KG. 2 1/2 is indeed a bit too early and may put too much pressure on the child to perform. So it wouldn't be a good idea to start education with such a situation!

Well don't get me wrong. I am in no way saying that a child can not be smart or taught at that age. I just believe that a child should have the chance to be a child. There are some very important development skills a child learns growing up before going to school. Manners, understanding yes and no, discipline, etc.I have seen some amazing kids go into a pre-k school setting, and turn out amazing, smart kids. But I wonder if they lack the social skills needed to survive in the real world. Those early years are prime for that.

I agree with Social Rathe. Social interaction should be the priority at that age. Knowledge, information and what-not are great but what is its use if the child lack social skills. Once your out there, it's social interaction first then knowledge second. Let the child play and learn to interact with other people outside of school (the institution). He/She will have ample time to learn everything when he/she starts attending to real schools (more than 20 years of school). One thing I recommend. Make sure you're child isn't subjected to too much computer games while growing up. Children should be playing in the rain, laughing and muddy. The beauty of innocence.

2 1/2 , way too early. I didn't start until I was 5. At that age I had trouble learning crap (well, it isn't crap). I was slow at everything though.

I got a baby and I heard that the school I'm eyeing on for my baby has this Prep-nursery level for 2 1/2 year olds. I was like, "Isn't it too early?"
I remembered when before, little kids go to school when they are 4 years old.

My baby is still 8 months old, and so I really don't need to worry about this this early. But I just like other people's opinion.

I had read on a newspaper article, the writer is a psychologist, saying people thought that children should be sent to school on during summers or after-classes hours to make the child more productive. Where in the psychologist points out that children need to rest. They need sleep. And children needs to play.

So, I'm not really sure if on prep-nursery, would my child still have his precious time to play? Or is it all studies?

I don't have kids but I have 4 nephews. My sisters took good care of them. My eldest nephew is already in college right now. His got good grades and he's a good boy! I remembered he went to a day care center he was like almost 3 or 4-years young that time. They play, sing, write, draw, eat and then sleep. Pretty much about fun-learning activities. So it's not really about "all studies".
:D
Edited by aizeebaby (see edit history)

A 2 1/2 year old can go to kindergarten, but it depends since all children aren't alike. The ideal age to start for most children is 3 years, as they would find it less stressful. I have a niece and a nephew who started when they turned 3 years old, and they're turning out pretty well. Children need to be able to interact with other children their age as it brings a whole new experience to them. School can start when children turn 5 years old. Home schooling children during their early years can help make things less stressful for them, if you can put in the time and the children are able to study in the environment that you create for them. If you can't, they probably need to see other kids their age study, to set their expectations of the norm.

I say that children should go to school as early as possible. When a kid is 5 or under, its usually more social than academic anyway. In Kindergarten we learned our ABCs, but most of the time was dedicated to social development. Stuff like learning how to share toys and building blocks, singing and dancing to a bunch of fun songs every morning. My experience in Kindergarten was just wonderful, and I wish that it could have started earlier. I don't know what the experts have to say, but I really don't see how it could be harmful. Its never too early to play with others kids and learn your numbers or ABCs.

i think no it should not let him enjoy his time, after going to school he has to continue it for 11 - 12 years so let the kid enjoy his little time. i think kids have to be kids and when they go to school they loose their childish so if you prevent them from playing with their toys and braking anything in the house you have ruined their childhood. so i will never send my kid to school before 6 year old i don't want my kid to grow soon i want my kid to enjoy every stage of her/his life. i think every stage of our lives are very important and if you take a stage from someone its not a good work at all. we can see many peoples having top academics grades but they don't enjoyed their life at all. not all of those peoples who have top academical degrees are successful in their lives and most of them are thinking that their parents were responsible for this unsuccessfulness because they have forced them to study all of their times. anyway i have found those places that you can send you 2 or 3 years old baby to are not really a school. kids like crowded places so if your kid doen't have any brother or sister it is not a bad idea to sent him to a place where he can see other kids and play with them but in those places should not be any force on learning alphabets. they can provide alphabets in shape of toys and let kids play with them but there should be no force at all.

I got a baby and I heard that the school I'm eyeing on for my baby has this Prep-nursery level for 2 1/2 year olds. I was like, "Isn't it too early?"
I remembered when before, little kids go to school when they are 4 years old.

My baby is still 8 months old, and so I really don't need to worry about this this early. But I just like other people's opinion.

I had read on a newspaper article, the writer is a psychologist, saying people thought that children should be sent to school on during summers or after-classes hours to make the child more productive. Where in the psychologist points out that children need to rest. They need sleep. And children needs to play.

So, I'm not really sure if on prep-nursery, would my child still have his precious time to play? Or is it all studies?

Dear friend what I think you dont have to worry at all because in the pre nursery level of schooling it is just like play schools where its learning through playing and its not more of writing or reading as such. Basically what they are trying to do is that the kids should learn to share there things eatables etc. with others, they should learn to adjust with other kids. And with other kids they start learning faster that is speaking etc. not writing or reading. So what I think is you dont have to worry about the pre nursery classes. More over what my wife done was she didnt sent my son to pre nursery and nursery classes and tried to make such playing atmosphere at home itself and now that he is about four years so in the next schooling session he is going to be admitted in LKG that is lower kinder garden. God bless your young one. May he flourish in his future.

In my country is really common for children to go to "school" early, because most moms has to send them so they can go to work (because of the economic fact). I think is important for kids to start learning early because I have heard babies brain is like a sponge they do learn a lot, from everything and I also think is important for kids to be surrounded by little kids their age so they develop social skills as well, but If I have the time and the opportunity to stay with my kids and take care of them full time, then I would rather send my baby to school later so I can spend more time with him, because kids grow up fast, and the next day they don't want to spent time with you but with their friends or other people, but I also think it would be good to send him to a kinder garden maybe a couple hours a day, maybe to or three so he can learn something and share with other kids as well, stay in a different environment.

I think you should spend some more time with your kid and try to understand what your baby's interests are. Sending toddlers to school is definitely a good idea as it helps inculcate within them favourable traits like sharing and playfulness, nevertheless, teaching the basics of academics at home would always be fruitful. Good luck for your kid's future. :)

I Lived in belgium 26 years ago where i married and had my two children i lived in belgium for eight years.And in belgium children start school from 21/2 years of age as long as the child is out of pampers during the day.Now both my children were out of pampers during the day before they were 21/2 and i let them start school at 21/2 years of age and i have never regretted it one minute.I think the advantage they from starting school at such an early age they get to mix with other children which then i found my two were never a round other children both of mine learnt to read from an early age and write as well.Also when the children start school on their first day they dont get upset about leaving mum.Where the older the child gets to starting school they get upset becaue they have been with mum a bit longer.I reallly thinks its a good idea for children to start school at 21/2 years of age it dont do them no harm infact i think it does them good.