xisto Community
Judman

Firefox Or Internet Explorer that is the question...

I do like Firefox the best, but there's really one thing I like better about Internet Explorer:

When you are downloading in Firefox, and you get disconnected, you have to restart the download.

When in Internet Explorer (At least in Windows XP Service Pack 2), when you get disconnected, you can resume the download right where you left off.  I get disconnected a lot, so that's very useful for me.

That's probably the only thing I like about Internet Explorer.  Other than that, Firefox is my favorite.

137426[/snapback]

my downloads can be restarted in firefox. but i find it slow. so i use download accelerator plus with firefox. it doesn't work to be integrated, but i have the download basket window, and drag & drop the links in there, and then i have speed and resumability at my fingertips. i generally back up a bunch of stuff to download in DAP, and then set it all to go at a time when i'm not using the computer, to free up bandwidth when i'm browsing.

Firefox, no doubt about it, 100%!It's way more secure than that rubbish they call Internet Explorer because, you don't get pop-ups and I used to get viruses all the time with IE! On Firefox, when you accidentally type in an invalid address, it doesnt take you to a page cannot be displayedl it brings up a notice instead, I find that much better, plus surfing in tabs is so much easier!

Being a amateur webdesinger I run lot of problems when dealing with Internet Explorer. It Css support is so poor that I am stumbling my step everytime I wanna do anything new in it. Firefox is such nice thing to use, but unfortunatly it is used by few percent of computer users.I guess Internet Explorer shouldn't be sold with Windows.

Personally, I think that IE has always had a lot of problems and errors that make browsing the net a big headache. I have gone with Opera myself even though the banners are kind of annoying it is still way better than IE. Firefox has recently become a popular browser, however it has very serious flaws. If you are using firefox or you are thinking about it you should read this article published recently about Firefox security flaws.

It seems that firefox and mozilla could allow malicious code to be executed in your machine. That is just too big of a risk, even bigger than those security problems that IE was facing recently. Therefore, you should wait a little while before surfing with firefox or the sharks are going to get you.

Firefox is better than Internet Explorer in many ways. Internet Explorer is very outdated for its time. Firefox offers an excellent popup blocker and seems to be 3 times faster than internet explorer.

For those of you who do not have firefox v1.0.4, you can download from here:

https://www.hightail.com/

Also Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1. Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit 'Enter'.
Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true" by 'Double-Clicking' that line.

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true" by double-clicking that line.

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like "30". This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly 'Right-Click' anywhere and select 'New' --> 'Integer'. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

If you're using a broadband/DSL connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!!

3. Firefox may never be the dominant browser

I wouldn't so sure about this one. All empires fall and I've seen figures quoted between 10-20% of the market share that IE has lost to Firefox in the last couple of years.
I haven't bothered to read all of this thread but I seem to be in the same boat as most people opting for FF as my favourite browser. And for those who've mentioned it as a tool for web design/development, you should check out this extension.
But I also use Opera for reading all my email, both POP and webmail (like Yahoo). I like having an email client & browser all bundled into one so that when you click on links in emails they open in the same application.

I use internet explorer, I don't think that it really matters, I can't really be asked to get firefox, since I already had IE on my PC, and IE has worked fine for me ever since.

45344[/snapback]

I like firefox becouse it has that fast feel..However I belive that IE is the fastest of them all..

i trust more in firefox, first by the part of security , is great ... another ... you can customize it as you want, it has a lot of skins and plug ins, a lot of website have their personilized plugin for firefox to work with it .... the only problem that i have sometimes is that some websites never load ... never ever ... i dont know whats the problem ... if there are compatibility issues of whatever ...but definitively firefox :(:lol:

I don't know about you guys, but the default pop up blocker for firefox is definitely not perfect. In fact, I find I get a lot less popups using IE with the google toolbar than I get using firefox. I also don't like the way firefox displays certain html tags, such as table borders and font sizes and such. I guess I got kinda used to designing for IE.

That being said, I still like firefox. Everyone keeps saying the same things, but most of it is true. Tabbed browsing is definitely pretty nifty and the extensions are key. From the development standpoint it is also a lot better, such as the javascript error console. Firefox is also a lot more tweakable through configuration files, which is good for users who know exactly what they want.

I just really started taking firefox seriously this year, and it's been good so far. I still need to go back and forth between IE and firefox though for certain websites. I use firefox as my default choice, and have an extension that allows me to view any page im looking at in firefox in IE with a couple mouse clicks. This makes switching a little less annoying.

I also don't like the way firefox displays certain html tags, such as table borders and font sizes and such. I guess I got kinda used to designing for IE.

That's because IE doesn't confirm to the W3C standards properly whereas Firefox & Opera do so when things are looking different in FF, they're actually looking the way they're s'posed to. Check out Position is Everything for a list of bugs present in IE that web designers have had to come up with hacks for.

Me and some friends are making a site for a game, where we use CSS. Look at this page and the hover effects in Firefox, Internet Explorer and then Opera. Note that in the hover code, I have put "height: 100%".

Firefox is definitely the choice internet browser.....for me.....at least...well....not too sure about you guys though....You sell....Firefox...in the first place...has a name for being better than Internet Explorer. Not that my opinion is based on public's opinion...just that... that many people...can't go wrong....or is hard to go wrong. If you can cheat one person, you can't cheat the whole world. So firstly...yeah...reputation...way better than Internet explorer..Lets go into the finer details. In my opinion, Firefox is way more secure and safer than Internet Explorer. Why? Firefox has better control over what stuff are displayed. It has a built in pop-up blocker and it restricts a lot of ActiveX controls...if not all. It also restricts the webpage from running malicious process in the background. Not that Firefox is 100% of all this, but it does do a better job than Internet Explorer in this. Internet Explorere's pop-up blocker and ActiveX control restricter....and so on...are often ineffective. For me, they always failt o block the malicious pop-ups and codes...but never fail to block and restrict pop-ups that I need. Okay...not always...but most of the time.....Really.....Firefox is open source too...you can take a look at the code if you want to. Comparing all these points....I really think Mozilla Firefox beat Microsoft Internet Explorer hands down.Sorry to all those Microsoft fans out there!-Shackman