xisto Community
veerumits

Can It Possible To Transfer More Than 1gb Data Over Internet

Can it possible to Transfer file from one computer to another computer over internet using FTP command either without FTP Server or without FTP Client if possible what steps i use to transfer. I have already configure FTP in IIS.

The only way to do this would be to set up the HOST computer (the one with the file on it) as an FTP server, and then use an FTP client on the other computer to connect and download the file.Bear in mind that 1gb is a HUGE amount of data and would take perhaps 10 hours or more to transfer (and thats on a fast connection, on a slower connection EG 1mb/second it might take a full 24 hours or more)

You need both a client and a server to transfer files with FTP. Without a server, there is nothing for the client to connect to. Without a client, you've no way to connect to the server.

If you need an FTP server, take a look at something like PureFTP.
If you need a client then a Google search will reveal plenty of free ones, or you can just use Konqueror.

This has nothing to do with FTP or stuff like that, but if ou compress it, it will be a lot less space. And if you want to transfer a lot of data, you could also use torrents. Most people link torrents to being illegal, but you can get a lot of freeware from them, and if you want to transfer files from one computer to another, torrents is an easy way to do it.

I thought he was asking how to transfer the file *without* ftp though.If that's the case, how about using IRC or an instant messanger? Both forums have their own file sharing programs "built in" for sending to one person.If you are looking for something where many people can download from you, your best bet is to go with a torrent. These *are* legal as long as they are used for *legal* purposes. You sharing your own files(assuming they are legal) is perfectly fine.The torrent would be the best one overall because it allows you to send to everyone at once without maxing out your bandwidth the entire time, however it also requires others to help with "seeding" to the other people to speed up the process.Hopefully this helps out some, :)

compression may take off about 100 mb or so but it still makes no difference, Ftp is probably the best choice but keep in mind it will take some bandwidth off your internet hosting 1 gigabyte is alot! keep that in mind.Try Filezilla (google it)is a free and good ftp tool

Just a word of warning regarding Instant Messengers. Because of the protocols used are mainly for chat, you may experience very, very slow speeds especially when transferring 1GB of data. It would be a lot simpler to setup an FTP server / client environment.

Are you able to physically access each computer? If so, I would suggest using some external media for such a large file. If not, then my suggestions depend on whether you have a fast or a slow connection. If you have a fast enough connection, try setting your computer up to be a HTTP server and download using HTTP connections, or you can do FTP, your choice. You can also try to use Instant Messengers, but they will be incredibly slow. Torrents are another fast way to do it. I would also highly suggest compressing the file, it will speed up the transfer process. If you are able to physically access both computers, then aim for file transfer using external media, such as a flash drive or an external hard drive.

You can send up to 5 gigs at a time with swapitencryptit.Com  Their service don't require a membership or sign up of any kind! Their service is super cheap, compared to you send it, and they even let you send small files for free. I use it to send files from my home computer or from my iPhone! Yup, it works for mobile devices. I hope this helped answer you question in some way.

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords: send files fast + fourms

It would be much quicker to simply make a torrent, and get some peers connected to speed along the transfer. With torrents you could also get friends who have the same file to help seed the torrent.