xisto Community
dcskataboy

I Need A Review On My Website Review me please

I need people to review the website i made for my dad. It was my dad's business's website. Tell me what you all think about it. Ive only been programming for a year so i think its good for only a year, but my opinion doesn't matter. So tell me what ya think.
LINK

Nice, clean site. Pretty good job. A couple of small pointers, though.Because you have used an xhtml Doctype, the <br> tags need to be 'self-closing' like this : <br />.The space and the slash close the tag properly in xhtml.Also, there is one div tag missing the closing angled bracket.None of these issues are affecting the display at all, so the site will work fine without these fixes.Overall, if you could add a nice colourful image or banner to the page, that might be good.

Yep, like jlhaslip said, you've got a nice and clean looking site! Just one thing - the contrast of the white background and the black 'dividing' lines on your homepage are kind of wigging my eyes out the more that I look at it. But it could just be my tired eyes talking there. Maybe I need to get some more sleep. I barely got any last night and am yawning as I type :lol: Anyway, I think it looks good, and was impressed by all the images you have of the doors and other products that are available. I had no idea that there would be so many to choose from, and to have all that information easily accessed on the website is nice and helpful!

the site is functional, with the proper distribution of content and a utilitarian menu, which is what is important first and foremost in an online presence. the framework (or layout) is good and your site users will not get lost. however, as a website establishing business presence online, i think the site needs some spicing up to make it palatable and inviting to your business prospects. work on incorporating a nice interface using graphics, especially the index page which is the first page interested parties will come in contact with most of the time. as jlhaslip suggests, a banner image will enhance your site better. you can do better than just a banner of course. get inspiration from other business sites, especially your competition. :D if competitors' sites do not inspire you, at least you will get an idea what you don't want your site to look like, and learn also on how you can up the ante, design-wise, by doing your own critique on their sites -- throwing away what you can't use, and incorporating what you must have. :lol:i have also a little bit of apprehension on your use of Arial on the site as the first one in your font-family in your main.css file. my qualm is that Arial is too thin and awkward to read. add Verdana first, before Arial, to see if you will like the difference better when your page is viewed on a browser. :Pmanage your pages also so that ALL will have a standard width, using a single template... you can use your index page as your template. as it is at the moment, when you click on links going to other pages, you get a graphics embedded on the page, with no semblance whatsoever to the layout you established in the first place. and it requires horizontal scrolling too which could be irksome for some users. if you want it that way, you can perhaps code those graphics pages to pop-up instead --- like those you see in image galleries on news websites like CNN, BBC, etc. you can also chop down the graphics into bits and pieces so you can show more detail, if you think it's necessary. this could be very helpful indeed in case you want to gallerize your images instead. and speaking of your images, it will need a little cleaning up so that it will erase any traces of scanning, like black edges, etc.anyway, you have a good start already. just build on it some more. :D

The site is simple and good.

FEw stuffs

1. Take care of titles in the pages - make sure it reflects the contents in the page.. That is one of the first things i noticed...

2. Few related banners/images will help you spread the word...

3. YOu can also consider loading a small image first, then if that is clicked you can load the larger image... You can have this options.. but i am just letting you know that this can be done...

I am sorry to say that I don't like it there could be some serious improvement. So what would I suggest take let's say JOOMLA and work from there find yourself some nice framework that is template and make it in your best way. You need to have it doe thoroughly since I assume this is information for the company or some production line you need to present your content in nice way I am not say that you bomb your visitors with content however. The point is notto just display pictures with links following you could insert some (I am reffering in case you use joomla) some gallery which would present all your informations in neat and concise way. The point also is to produce contact forms and some other pictures you've already worked with. On the other hand it would be good to have some disclamers and copyrights notifications.One more thing that certainly needs attending is titles of the pages since this makes site more google friendly. I don't have any more suggestions at this time however if you work on the site more I might have some suggestions for you. Good luck

first of all the domain name is super extra long i like that it's cool.
at first sight the site it self is like extra simple the basic black and white witch i guess leaves little rooms for mistakes. when i stated web desighning i always tried to make my stuff look great wich i guess left some room for some mistakes but that's how you learn. the simpleness would seem good to some but the look is not my fevorite look of choice but it's not too bad.
i also think that the way the diferent doors and locks and products are view could be better. because people with realy lagging computers could have lots of problems since it's a giant image file. you should get an php image galery or just a very simple javascript one like this :HERE: so you'de have to seperate the different images to make it work (with an image editor (it's very simple)).
there's not much that needs to be improve except for those (witch i guess is a lot since the site is not very big) but it's a very good first try keep up the good work.

Your site seems very minimal. Its an ethic that business sites should be kept simple. But, Some little bits of attractiveness could to added to site. I don't see any drop shadows there. This is the first site I've ever seen without a drop shadow I guess(No offense).The links too has only images. You could cut down images and make the text parts really text. It will help you in many purposes. Text in images are no crawled by search engines. This is one huge drawback for using all images.I'm not a web designer yet. Just started web studies. May be i cud be wrong :lol:

1. You should make a banner instead of heading the page with big text.2. Change the domain(if possible), long domains are hard to remember.3. When I put my mouse over your DGclock it changes my window status for the session, even when I close the tab with your site.4. Change the contrast between black and white between the 'sections' of your page, it strains people's eyes.Other than that your site looks fine.

Ok, lets be honest. That site is BOOORING. You put it together pretty well, but i would go for some more color personally. Add a simple background, like a fading color or something. Also the menu could use alot of work. Try using buttons or at least put the links in bold! The title banner leaves alot to be desired. Go to a free banner maker (search for "free online banner maker" on your favorite search engine) and spice it up. Another thing: With so many doors to choose from, I personally would like a little more information on them before buying. Such as what they are made of, dimensions, etc.You did a good job. But my recommendation would be to work on it a little each day. Find something every day to make it better. Whether it be submitting it to search engines, or just sprucing it up. Keep in mind that when search engines crawl your site, they notice whether or not anything has changed. If you change or add content on a regular basis, your site will get crawled more by the search engines. Also, the comment about search engines not crawling pics is totally false. Have you ever searched for an image in google? I rest my case. :) Just keep it up, and by the time you actually get ranked and start getting traffic I'm sure you'll have a stellar site.

Are you freakin' kidding me!?This is the most crappy website I have ever seen in my life! What the hell is that? And you dare to say you have been programming for a year? Your father actually uses this for his own business!? I would rather live in a house without doors than order services from your dad. Tell him that.First of all, your website starts with an address - yes that's a domain name and domain name should be SHORT and easy to remember and not 255 characters long. I didn't even bother to try to read what it says, I just clicked the link. I guess you chose that for your SEO campaign so it has a purpose, that's actually very good but you should get yourself another domain, the one which you will have printed on your business card. Both should point to your website. It has to be short and catchy.Next, the design. You really left me speechless. I have nothing to say about this piece of junk you call a layout. I bet my 80y old grandmother who has never used a computer before would do a better job than you did right there. I'm sorry to be harsh, you asked for it but I should really be yelling at your father because he's the one who allowed this to represent his company. Have you ever heard of first impression? If you attract clients via internet you should be really freakin' cheap because I don't think anyone would ask for services a guy who can't put a decent website online.When the website finished loading I said to myself "GOD PLEASE LET THIS BE A JOKE". I can't believe it, really. What is that actually? It's a black and white webpage with boring font and a web counter. Why did you save on colors, did you think your monitor will brake down? Links on the left took me to big low quality pictures and your contact page is awful. Plain php script with no background and Coppermine is default installation with their own logo header up there.Couldn't you use a web template? There are hundreds of thousands web templates freely available on the web, you could use them and base your website on them because what you've got right now is really sad. Also, remove the counter and install Webalizer or something similar. You don't want your potential clients to judge you based on how many visitors you have.After what I've seen here I can just advise you to find yourself another hobby because if that's all you've got after a year of programming then you really SUCK! Pay someone to design the website for you or ask a friend or something. If you won't be able to find any help you can PM me and I'll help you out but please take your site offline because it's a disgrace for mankind.Note: I'm just a reviewer and perhaps I have higher standards than others but this is only my personal opinion so don't take it seriously if you feel offended in any way. Just skip it.

Edited by bsdpowa (see edit history)

Alright, my views are:ProsLoads fast, as fast as google - due to the fact there's not images.Has the all information required.ConsNot visually good looking, no colors and no images.Drawings of locks...? Needs real life images.Prices wouldn't go a missFor a beginner, really well done. You've made a full website which works, which many beginners can't ever achieve. But if your fathers company is a serious one, ethier you need to design a better site, or he needs to get a professional web designer.

I like the look of the site, I do have a few comments, 1. The layout is good, I think that you should do your best to keep that layout when navigating away from the home page by using frames, e.g clicking on on the doors link opens where the information about the business is.2. I agree with Varalu on the loading smaller images when going to the doors or locks page. Or possibly organize it or have the link to doors (for example) take you to a page with one link to the designer series, and one to the elegant series with a few thumbnail examples of each.3. It could use a bit more colour (or color if you're from the US) the simple black and white is good, but maybe too minimalist (in my opinion)It's Short sharp and to the point without any flashy graphics or banners or anything, if thats how you like it thats fine. I think it could use a bit more colour, maybe a logo and if you've got one definitely put it up there. I think the only real problem is point 2, at current I'm running 1024 x 768 screen resolution and its too much to see all at once. You could use GIMP to resize the images, which I'm guessing are scanned.good site.

There's a lot of rooms for improvements here. Well first is the most important for me is your domain name. It's long considering it is a business website. Remember, if people cannot remember your website, there will be less traffic in your site. Just make it as short as possible. Second is your design of the site. You should be at the viewer's point of view. Remember that some people will look at website just by scrolling down the page, so make it as interesting as possible, and make your message be loud and clear. Third, make your website livelier by using images or flash. you could use swish, it's easy to use for beginners like me, and improving some of your elements in your site makes a huge difference. But hey, no one is perfect, there's still time for improvement. :)

By looking at your work I can tell your effort is there, and you understand what it takes to make a site good. Great job, half the task is done, the main frames are up. Now to organize your site, maybe add a background, choose a colour theme, add flash and so on. Get a good banner and header.