xisto Community
Johnny

Where/how Did You Learn Css?

I learned CSS at school. There is web developing activities in my school, and i am the member. So, my tutor, which is my upperclassman, teach me the basic of css then i develop it myself. Right now I'm still learning more about web, html, css, php, and sql.

W3Schools!!! That place rocks, it was the very first place I found with the best tutorials at that time and most probably still the best css tutorials around. Then it was all trial and error and going back to the site to see the reference and some other tutorials from webpages I found through google or places like pixel2life. There are plenty of resources on the web, its all a matter of having patience and practicing, its really not difficult to learn css. There are plenty of new tricks coming out every now and then.

I learned CSS same with most of these guys.. Viewing source code and checking how minor changes affects the total layout of the site. It's also best to tweak and play with free XHTML/CSS templates on the net. You'll learn many things. specially the hidden secrets..I still am trying to learn more.. I've been studying it for almost 3 months now.. and i have some grasp of its basics.. it may take many more months for me to start a template from scratch.. but it's worth it.. and it's pretty challenging...I've read most tutorials at w3schools.. I also bumped into a 2001 release web design book. It's an old book considering the fast-paced growth of the technology. However, there are good points in the book (navigation, breadcrumb trail, functionality, basic layout, positioning, etc...) that I think are 'standard' of the net.

I learnt Html by viewing others websites and myspace, CSS i find it so much harder and confusing, how do you guys learn it so well.I would love to learn how to customise my myspace using CSS to change the whole entire thing.HTML was a breeze to me , but CSS lol i dont think so. Does it take alot of time? I'm still not understanding the language of it. A little help or tip on learning it please? :P

I learned some of my CSS knowledge in an entry level computer science course in high school. However, I learned the majority of what I know at W3Schools.com which is the best single resource to use because they set the web standards. Recently I have become more concerned about cross-browser compatibility and have run into some interesting problems with Internet Explorer especially 6.0 (mostly with positioning). I have had to dig around on the internet to find some IE hacks. CSS is definitely something I encourage anybody to learn. It is very simple and easy to learn but the results are fantastic once you get the hang of it. At first you might have to constantly reference W3Schools in order to remember what attributes do what. Stick with it. I have memorized countless and even quite trivial CSS commands over the years and I can do anything I set my mind to when designing a web site. It's great. I suggest that you don't waste your money on books that explain CSS when there are W3Schools and other free internet resources available, but who am I to tell you what to do? :lol:I wish you the best in your quest for new knowledge!

So...I'm bored at work, and I figure I should do something [other than work] to occupy my time. And I think now would be the best time for me to learn CSS...I've got plenty of time and I don't have any computer/video games or tv to distract me.
So I was just wondering, for any CSS designers out there, where/how did you learn it? Links to online material are appreciated.

EDIT: Oh wow, Tim's right...one more post to 3000. I should make it a sig topic or something...

EDIT 2: AW MAN, I left and forgot...my 3000th post ended up in Mike's topic.

Hi!

I picked up a couple of basic CSS attributes from looking at other people's CSS and trying it out myself. I also looked up a reference for CSS attributes on the Microsoft and Mozilla websites. I also found Macromedia DreamWeaver's (now called Adobe DreamWeaver) auto-complete to be very helpful.

I picked up advanced CSS techniques by reading a couple of web design magazines that I came across in the lobby of a couple of offices I visited. I wish I had noted the names of the magazines though, as I can't remember any more.

Regards,
Nitin R.

I learned CSS at W3schools.com. The tutorial was quite easy and quick. It took such a low amount of time that I couldn't believe that I've learned CSS so quick. Even though I didn't have every statement put in deeply in my brain, I did understand how things worked out with CSS, and with a little bit of practice on bloggers, and making simple web sites made me learn CSS entirely. Still, I lack of interest of working in CSS. It is boring and mostly useless. It requires a lot of combined work with HTML or PHP, and you still can't get a complete site that will satisfy you're wants.

Well I am a real fan of CSS. It was the first "language" that put me in professionally. But I started learning it from http://www.w3schools.com/ and moved from there to real stuff. The first thing I did was some kinf of work by converting Psd documents to xhtml/css compliant w3c valid ones. Well, I checked some really good tricks about css on "alist a part"( I guess you will have to google it because I don't remember the real website adress, and I'm lazy now to check my bookmarks), and I also worked some times at digitalpoint forums converting psd to xhtml.Css is good because it makes your page professional without being a script, or just combining it with a open source csm can help you a lot.

Had to learn CSS to teach it... :Pw3c is definitely a useful resource. Over time, of course, there has been many tutorials and reference books introduced to make it easy to learn. Also, using Dreamweaver allows one to see how it is structured as a page is visually constructed and designed.CSS has had a rapid development and increase in popularity - due to its abilty to load once and remain for the duration that a site is accessed/visited... proving to improve load times and provide consistency...Its inclusion in the layout of many server-side applications such as forums and cms has definitey improved the efficiency of page loads and the ability to control page layouts.

As I started with HTML in those times, when everyone were using font tags and center tags, b and were putting background images in tables and css wasn't so much popular at those days, so not much tutorials, but eventually everything changed very quickly, I myself started using css, even though not all browsers supported it, especially on browsers from operating systems like Amiga.The same way, I learned css :P by reading a book and viewing other sites sources, later started to read tutorials and references, this is the way I moved to styling pages with css and not html, when most browsers started to show it quite normally and I got a better computer :DThe major thing which helped me to remember css better is real time css editing in a browser, you change a value and see the difference instantly :PWhat I never liked about CSS, is that I always needed to do something differently for IE6 :D but of course it's not CSS trouble. ;D